2017 Featherstone Rovers squad.

marklaspalmas

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you sign Sammutt then you are truly spending some cash. I think he has spoke to most teams in this league and the money talked about is daft, also needs the guarantee of work aside from rugby as well. On the note of half backs you spoke to Fax about Scott Murrell.

If you sign Sammutt then you are truly spending some cash. I think he has spoke to most teams in this league and the money talked about is daft, also needs the guarantee of work aside from rugby as well. On the note of half backs you spoke to Fax about Scott Murrell.

His agent can ask for what they want but if all clubs don't offer him it he will have to go to the highest bidder doesn't mean that the club who does sign him is spending plenty of cash usr means they offered the most

No problem with work - if Channing returns to London as is rumoured then a spot working on the community team opens up

No problem with work - if Channing returns to London as is rumoured then a spot working on the community team opens up

My guess he will be looking for 50k plus add ons! ...  as well as taking a disproportionate percentage of the budget ... that salary will also upset other squad members .... better left alone (IMO) .. he needs a reality check!! 

Not a great team player tends not to follow the game plan but the JS plan .....  

No doubt a very talented player but ....  where has he really improved the teams consistently ??

didnt fax reject the 1st offer? Dont know if weve made another yet?

didnt fax reject the 1st offer? Dont know if weve made another yet?

Yeah got told no and to do one. It would be interesting to see a few fans opinion on it though as Im sure on performances this season a lot would say to get rid. Personally I think he has to be in the team but I am just not sure where. He has a great rugby brain but we look slow at half back when he is there, Im not sure there is room for him at 13 in the modern game where FB seems to be where the 3rd/4th playmaker plays which leaves hooker and with Brandon Moore and Ben Kaye there Im not sure he gets in front of either of those two. It does seem a strange move by Fev as you do seem pretty well off at 6/7 and Scott will want to play there.

Let's hope we don't !!!! I'd rather we forked out £50k for Sammutt. We can earn that much on Sunday afternoon.

i really hope we dont pay anything like £50k for a backup to the Thacks/Briggs partnership. Because as far as im concerned thats what theyll be used as. Theyve earned the 6 and 7 numbers for next season i reckon.

As usual oxy boy you seem to know the playing strengths of all the teams for 2017 in the champ. We have NOT adequate cover at 6/7 as you seem to suggest., but in my eyes Sammut is not the answer especially with his rumoured salary, nor I hope are we sniffing around your players, as if we were you are sure to know before JS

Its not always the case to throw big money about to get good players .Having a good SCOUT can bring you success for pennies just look in the football world years ago how Wimbledon stayed up eith the big boys by buying players from lower leagues who no one had heard of and more recently Leicester city winning the title with Players from the amateur league and abroad who no one has heard of so my question is this have we got a good scout at Fev who can trawl through the lower leagues and save us a fortune ?if not wouldnt it be wise to invest in one?

i really hope we dont pay anything like £50k for a backup to the Thacks/Briggs partnership. Because as far as im concerned thats what theyll be used as. Theyve earned the 6 and 7 numbers for next season i reckon.

Whether we're talking about Sammutt or whoever it comes down to how serious we are about building a squad that can challenge seriously for that top 4 / million pound game and beyond next year and I for one think its worth taking a bit of a risk before the RL think again about the promotion / relegation system and the significant prize money available to championship clubs at the moment.  Yes we love it at Fev when we see the younger lads come through the ranks because that's what the club has been used to in its past (and some of the current lot are real prospects) but to improve next year I think we'll have to spend.  If Sharp can bring in a few more affordable Championship players like Jonny Davies / Misi again - and have the same (unexpected) success we'll be very lucky.  We all have our own opinions regarding individuals but Sammut would fill the vacancy of utility back left by Craven and if we've learnt anything from this season - we DO need quality back-up.

Sammut and Murrell are two completely different type of half-back, unless Sammutt is considered as a full back. If you want someone of the same ilk as Murrell, ie a gameplan manager, you couldn't do much worse than Grant Gore at Whitehaven who is or was on loan from Widnes.  

Sammut and Murrell are two completely different type of half-back, unless Sammutt is considered as a full back. If you want someone of the same ilk as Murrell, ie a gameplan manager, you couldn't do much worse than Grant Gore at Whitehaven who is or was on loan from Widnes.

Grant Gore as left haven for Swinton he was hot and cold for us last season he wasn't on loan Widnes released him

Its not always the case to throw big money about to get good players .Having a good SCOUT can bring you success for pennies just look in the football world years ago how Wimbledon stayed up eith the big boys by buying players from lower leagues who no one had heard of and more recently Leicester city winning the title with Players from the amateur league and abroad who no one has heard of so my question is this have we got a good scout at Fev who can trawl through the lower leagues and save us a fortune ?if not wouldnt it be wise to invest in one?

Its hard in a part time environment though with a lot of rugby players earning decent money away from the game, moving from one team to another can bring extra pressures(less time, more travelling etc) for only a little bit more money with the reality been that 99% of them will not get a shot at full time rugby. So you look abroad and then comes the problems of visa's that Fev know all about or you go to France but the standard is so poor outside of Catalans and Toulouse its really not worth bothering.

Its funny but I totally was against Fax running a reserve team this year but we picked up a load of cast offs from SL teams and have ended up with at least 2 or 3 players capable of been first team regulars and a few more players who have played in the bottom 8's that at least look capable of competing and could improve. The downside is that one of those young players looks exceptional and was quickly picked up by a SL side and then will be loaned back to us next season so its catch 22.

I mentioned the possibility of Sammut playing FB on the Worky board when we were speaking to him but got shot down but personally I think he would be fine there at this level in a decent team which has other organizers.

Sammut played full back in his sole game for us against Crusaders. The man to make way for him was, of course, Ian Hardman. I wonder if there's any player in recent history who has so tenaciously managed to resist repeated attempts to oust him from his position?

In 2014 he was out in the cold for a while with James Mendeika preferred (and even Josh Sunley in the squad before Hardman on one occasion, remember him?) but Hardman forced his way back into the line-up.

In 2015 Jy Hitchcox played a significant part of the season at full back with Hardman shuffled out to centre, but when Jy fell out with Sharp reliable old Hardo returned to full back and helped us win the Shield.

Then this year Danny Craven was brought in but although Hardman has played lots of games at centre because of injuries the concensus amongst fans has still been (I think) that he's been our most reliable full back.

Perhaps Hardman will spend 2017 battling Sammut for the number 1 shirt, before seeing off Greg Inglis in 2018?

I would prefer to have Sammut rather than Tansey for example. He can play FB SO and SH, keeping Hardo, Briggs and Thacks on their toes, with always the poss of Hardo at centre to include all four. With three wingers and another two centres, your backs are done.

I'd also prefer a younger hungrier prop than Moore. We have a 'veteran' style pack leader already in Griffin.

Also, if Roache, Cording and Snitch all leave and with Spears not getting any younger, we'll need more backrow recruits than just Knowles.

Archived