Huddersfield - Confused. Will Friday nights bring back the fans?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been quite a lot of comments from people about being unsure when Hudds are playing, be that Sunday afternoon or Friday night , with the odd Thursday thrown in. The supporters were asked about their preferences concerning which day they favoured a couple of years ago IIRC. Martyn Sadler has relayed comments on here about meeting people in the area who weren't sure which day/night the Giants were playing and so didn't attend regularly.

Playing the games on a Friday night should help with attracting the corporate pound, as my own unscientific observations indicate that the hospitality side of things is busier than on a Sunday.

Friday nights usually works for me...

Personally speaking, as someone who had to travel to offices in both Leeds and Elland from Leigh I would be very averse to taking on the M62 for what I should imagine would be a 20:00 kick off anywhere over the pennines whether it be Thursday, Monday, and especially Friday nights, that was the good thing about being in the Championship in the main 15:00 Sunday afternoons, so much more civilised.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

I get your point Gary. I tend not to go to many away games on Friday nights owing to the slowness of travel along the M62, having to finish work early etc. Time will tell whether it works for Hudds and results in increased income.

We played 7 out of 14 games on a Sunday last season, with an odd Thursday or Monday chucked in too

Add to that our Friday crowds were better I think than Sundays - definitely a better atmosphere then the writing has been on the wall for a while

It won't suit some, it will suit others, but it's a positive move from the giants who it seems want to draw a line under last year

Clever hashtag from someone too imo #thenewstoneage

Well if £99 ST don't bring people in, nothing will. Great value.

Be tempted if they get some quality players in.

Must be operating at a huge loss next year

So a great value £99 ST isn't enough for you? You'll be tempted if they get some quality players though? Bit of a mixed message there.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

I'm confused about the thread title,

Bring back the fans? Huddersfield don't have fans to bring back do they?

In all seriousness, i have been against Friday nights, but despite our fans preferring Sundays, not many of them have bothered turning up last few years, so good on the club for trying something new, it seems to work for other clubs and maybe it could work for us too, we've seemingly been in a rut the last few years, over whether to try and promote ourselves as a family club with games played in a calm, quiet Sunday afternoon atmosphere or should we try and market ourselves at the younger crowd who seem to prefer Friday nights.

Added to that the generous season ticket prices and it could be a big boost for us, providing we get it right on the field!

2 things...

Firstly it is difficult to have consistency when televised games are Fridays and non-televised are Sundays...

I was also caught out as I bought tickets for away game on Sunday...only to be told be Eddie on boots n all that the game was live on Friday night! I had to try and get the afternoon off work with a days notice!

Secondly I prefer Friday games as it leaves the weekend free for family time...also as mentioned better for commercial being a friday evening!

I'm confused about the thread title,

Bring back the fans? Huddersfield don't have fans to bring back do they?

In all seriousness, i have been against Friday nights, but despite our fans preferring Sundays, not many of them have bothered turning up last few years, so good on the club for trying something new, it seems to work for other clubs and maybe it could work for us too, we've seemingly been in a rut the last few years, over whether to try and promote ourselves as a family club with games played in a calm, quiet Sunday afternoon atmosphere or should we try and market ourselves at the younger crowd who seem to prefer Friday nights.

Added to that the generous season ticket prices and it could be a big boost for us, providing we get it right on the field!

I've always had better luck travelling, by car, into Hudds on a Saturday or Sunday. Fridays have just been chaotic getting in and out of the ground and the extra time for jams etc. By train, obviously ok.

Ideally, Hudds need more visiting fans to boost the crowd and pay more than their own. Not sure if this is the way, or the cut price ST but the Friday night Giants night thing, I like.

Away fans visiting the John Smiths have been declining for the last few seasons so a switch to Friday night makes no odds there

The ST price is obviously to tempt people both because of the switch and the poor season, but we won't be seeing marquee signings for sure

To me it's all positive

Plenty moaning though

In terms of the corporate side of things, every single time the Giants play on a Friday the corporate boxes and hospitality is sold out. Not always the case on Sundays. 

When I go to away games on a Friday my first option is always the train to avoid the M62. Huddersfield's stadium is ideally placed for visiting supporters to come via the train as if it was the other way round and I was a visiting supporter it would always be on the train, via the Real Ale pubs on the route.

our Friday crowds were better I think than Sundays - definitely a better atmosphere

Good point

Away fans visiting the John Smiths have been declining for the last few seasons so a switch to Friday night makes no odds there

Good point again clubs need their own regular customers

In terms of the corporate side of things, every single time the Giants play on a Friday the corporate boxes and hospitality is sold out. Not always the case on Sundays. 

And excellent point as good money is in this part of the business plus the hospitality side attracts people into the ground who may well be new to the game, certainly lot's of new faces are always sitting in front of us at Headingley.

Well done to Davey who also has the low price season tickets, for a package to try to maximise Fartown's crowds. It goes against the myth clubs are sitting on their hands doing nothing about attendances.

Good point

Good point again clubs need their own regular customers

And excellent point as good money is in this part of the business plus the hospitality side attracts people into the ground who may well be new to the game, certainly lot's of new faces are always sitting in front of us at Headingley.

Well done to Davey who also has the low price season tickets, for a package to try to maximise Fartown's crowds. It goes against the myth clubs are sitting on their hands doing nothing about attendances.

Thought you said cut price marketing didn't work?

Thought you said cut price marketing didn't work?

indeed. They didnt do this last year and are doing something new trying to market their club. Parky said it was a rubbish idea to market and they already do it, but now he congratulates them.

Its as though he just wants to argue isnt it.

indeed. They didnt do this last year and are doing something new trying to market their club. Parky said it was a rubbish idea to market and they already do it, but now he congratulates them.

Its as though he just wants to argue isnt it.

He also said cut price tickets contributed to the demise of the Bulls........quite the hypocrite

Archived