Sign in to follow this  
welshmagpie

Tanya Arnold - not helping RL in the South.

He said he needed an emotional connection as he got a South Sydney bunny as a gift as a kid as both his dad and Grandad supported them. Perhaps London should send over some merch?

I get that, but given we'd be his local team, he'd have more connection than Wigan, Saints or Hull. Things like is why we always hear how RL is only played in two counties.

He said he needed an emotional connection as he got a South Sydney bunny as a gift as a kid as both his dad and Grandad supported them. Perhaps London should send over some merch?

Russell Crowe merched everyone he knew before the Rabbitohs' GF win. Sadly, said merchandising included those horrible white jackets, because Stephen Fry Tweeted a picture of himself wearing one before the match.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

I don't think she should be hung up for this but I do think it's small things like this that can change how a sport is perceived - and perception can be all important in terms of sponsorship etc.

So I don't think it's irrelevant.

I get that, but given we'd be his local team, he'd have more connection than Wigan, Saints or Hull. Things like is why we always hear how RL is only played in two counties.

I'm not saying it's an unfair point,as you are perfectly correct, but I got the impression that he was after something a bit more solid than he lives near there.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I'm not saying it's an unfair point,as you are perfectly correct, but I got the impression that he was after something a bit more solid than he lives near there.

Isn't that where most fans come from though? Supporting their local team or their parents' team or just glory hunting like Man Utd fans from London.

Hard to say that it's not a Northern game as the government has just given them 25 million to host 2021 World cup under the Northern Powerhouse plan!!!.

I took the opportunity to send a facebook message to Adam and invite him to North Wales Crusaders - he can either watch our League 1 team or take the chance to discover Wheelchair Rugby League (which would be a good fit for 'The Last Leg') via our fabulous wheelchair RL team. 

Seek out the positives people.

Hard to say that it's not a Northern game as the government has just given them 25 million to host 2021 World cup under the Northern Powerhouse plan!!!.

Nothing wrong with being northern, just no need to exclude anyone not northern!

Isn't that where most fans come from though? Supporting their local team or their parents' team or just glory hunting like Man Utd fans from London.

Take it up with him!

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

If you don't think Adam Hills is funny, nominate an alternative.

Malcolm Turnbull?

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

My big problem is with Dave Woods from the BBC. When my team-Fev played Salford in the 8s he was on Radio Manchester and to say i was not at all happy with his comments would be a massive under-statement.

From Twitter.

Adam Hills Nov 13
Thanks for all the offers of a British Rugby League team to follow. I may have to travel the country and try each one. #cantrunwithoutlegs
Looks like some fans took a positive approach to the interview instead of moaning.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

My big problem is with Dave Woods from the BBC. When my team-Fev played Salford in the 8s he was on Radio Manchester and to say i was not at all happy with his comments would be a massive under-statement.

Gosh, what did he say, craig, to upset you so?

Gosh, what did he say, craig, to upset you so?

And the Radio Leeds commentators are fair to the away team too ? I ve listened to many games switching between two local stations and I thought I was listening to two completely different games!

Dave Woods was ripping into Fev saying things like, We should not have been given the chance to compete in the 8s. Because we were never going to go up etc etc. Ok we did get beat in every game but not once did he say we had done well to be in the top 4.

Dave Woods also falls badly into the stereotypical chat: 'this'll be great for bringing the game to the masses in the south', worrying about attendances, patronising the viewing public etc etc. I understand why they do it, but it would be so refreshing if they commentated with the assumption that everyone knows what's going on and doesn't need everything constantly explained. I've listened to him on the radio numerous times in the past, and he constantly witters about ###### while the action is going on. Next thing you know it's the fifth tackle, and he's not described anything that's happened since the previous restart.

During the England v Australia commentary on Sunday, Andrew Henderson was summarising, and really showed him up with his knowledge and enthusiasm for the game - as we discovered with thingy on Premier Sports during RLWC 2013, the Aussies call a game a million times better, and the commentary on the third Ashes test in 1988 is still more memorable than almost any commentary I've heard since.

Dave Woods also falls badly into the stereotypical chat: 'this'll be great for bringing the game to the masses in the south', worrying about attendances, patronising the viewing public etc etc. I understand why they do it, but it would be so refreshing if they commentated with the assumption that everyone knows what's going on and doesn't need everything constantly explained. I've listened to him on the radio numerous times in the past, and he constantly witters about ###### while the action is going on. Next thing you know it's the fifth tackle, and he's not described anything that's happened since the previous restart.

During the England v Australia commentary on Sunday, Andrew Henderson was summarising, and really showed him up with his knowledge and enthusiasm for the game - as we discovered with thingy on Premier Sports during RLWC 2013, the Aussies call a game a million times better, and the commentary on the third Ashes test in 1988 is still more memorable than almost any commentary I've heard since.

Completely agree about Henderson. Loved some of his comments and hope he becomes a regular.

Dave Woods is a ###### commentator because he pays too much heed to describing what the viewer can already see instead of adding to the picture. That's why he never says anything memorable when, for example, a try is scored.

Richie Benaud used to say TV commentary is a kind of audio picture caption. Very different from Woods' radio on TV style...

Edited by Man of Kent