News

bomberisgod

I hope we are still working away on two or three of those former , disillusioned players . Very talented local players of great pedigree but not treated to good at times before . Get them content and feeling wanted and that talent will surely flourish given a consistent chance.

akehursts picture in the paper today , doing well and enjoying rugby union , last i heard from a relative of his is he isnt interested .

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

akehursts picture in the paper today , doing well and enjoying rugby union , last i heard from a relative of his is he isnt interested .

Same can be said of Forrester and Rooney, not while there's a round of golf to be had. And I would say young Lucock is more than happy at Wath Brow if that's where he's going to carry on.

Young lad from glasson signing for you I believe

I believe you are incorrect Donald

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

The club needs to find and sign some quality and experience to play alongside the amateur signings we have made,it's ok 're building etc but fans and sponsors will need to see a competitive team to continue their support.

I hate to say it but we are a million miles away from having a team capable of challenging for top 8 .

is totally rebuilding on a very tight budget and challenging the top teams in the 1st season even achievable for any club in any sport ? 

its a long process of planning for the future and unfortunately some will be frustrated if immediate results dont happen . its going to be difficult getting everyone on board and patient when they are paying to see a team on a learning curve . maybe some season long loans to bolster the squad are the next step ? 

Cant remember lads name but his best mate plays for glasson and was working with me on Thursday night said his marra was signing for Town

Was out with said individual last night and he says he isn't signing

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

I digress , but my dad was going through some old shoeboxes of his dad and he found a 'Workington Town Rugby League Supporters Club' membership card season 1947-48 !!

The rules of the club and objectives are there ... mainly to support Town and foster RL throughout west Cumbria ...then the fixtures for the Northern Rugby League , running from august 23 to may 1.

40 games including New Zealand ...Belle Vue Rangers and Liverpool Stanley !

Barrow was the derby ... on December 25 it says , then Wigan on the 27th and Barrow on New Year's Day !

Finishes off with the club officials ( president Dr Brown OBE ) , HQ Griffin Hotel ... and tell your friends it's only a shilling to join ! Very interesting early town history

If these 4 sign will that make 20? To me the article reads as though behind these four whoever they are there doesn't appear to be anymore definite targets. That scares the siht out of me after we have struggled with injuries for the last few seasons and we are nearly in 2017 now.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

If these 4 sign will that make 20? To me the article reads as though behind these four whoever they are there doesn't appear to be anymore definite targets. That scares the siht out of me after we have struggled with injuries for the last few seasons and we are nearly in 2017 now.

thats exactly what i was gonna say. 3 anonymous backers?????....

Need to get the squad finalised as soon as possible and get them into pre-season training. Its more of a worry the lads have only one run out at the moment and with xmas approaching it takes more time out of the schedule. February and the start of the cup games will soon be here and if we bow out in the first round then its another three weeks before the first league game. Lets hope things move quickly so we can get bodies into training and be ready for the cup    

Has it not been said that the anonymous backers have assisted in safeguarding the clubs future and clearing shortfall from last season. I think that it's been made clear that the club is trying to become better run and self-sustainable and unfortunately this will take time and effort. Id imagine that from where we were to potentially having 20 lads by Christmas I think I would say that's more than acceptable.

The 3 backers came in to save the club last year and if it weren't for them we wouldn't have the 16 players we have right now. Think long term, after where the club finished last year are we not in a better place now? Rather have 16 and looking for more than have no club at all.

The 3 bakers came in to save the club last year and if it weren't for them we wouldn't have the 16 players we have right now. Think long term, after where the club finished last year are we not in a better place now? Rather have 16 and looking for more than have no club at all.

So,it was Mr.Kipling,Mr.McVitie and Mr.Carr who came to the rescue ? Well God bless them all!  Sorry lads _____Icouldn't resist! I promise this is just a seasonal guest appearance and I will now retreat back into the mists of obscurity :tongue:

I agree wih Ginock1 and oldrake9

if the 4 targeted players sign up then it is 20 targeted players , I think the key here is the term , targets, this would seem it is an ongoing and meticulous process of signing the players whom the coach's and the board see as both tick the most box's and are financially viable , long term loan deals are also mentioned and one from Cas has already been done , long term loans are mostly done nearer the start of the season as all the bigger clubs decide who misses out a first team place and are surplus to 2017 requirements but need games and experience in the semi pro ranks . It was never going to be easy after what happened last season and as a result losing so many players. 

I digress , but my dad was going through some old shoeboxes of his dad and he found a 'Workington Town Rugby League Supporters Club' membership card season 1947-48 !!

The rules of the club and objectives are there ... mainly to support Town and foster RL throughout west Cumbria ...then the fixtures for the Northern Rugby League , running from august 23 to may 1.

40 games including New Zealand ...Belle Vue Rangers and Liverpool Stanley !

Barrow was the derby ... on December 25 it says , then Wigan on the 27th and Barrow on New Year's Day !

Finishes off with the club officials ( president Dr Brown OBE ) , HQ Griffin Hotel ... and tell your friends it's only a shilling to join ! Very interesting early town history

before my time but I have the programme (6d) from the Kiwi match, was at Borough park 3rd December 1947. Kiwi's won 12 / 7 

Town side (listed in programme)

Hagan

Jepson

McGilvary

Carr

Rodgers

Risman

Pepperell

Hodgson

Ackerley

Hayton

Wareing

Park

Ivison

So,it was Mr.Kipling,Mr.McVitie and Mr.Carr who came to the rescue ? Well God bless them all!  Sorry lads _____Icouldn't resist! I promise this is just a seasonal guest appearance and I will now retreat back into the mists of obscurity :tongue:

Well there's a crumb of comfort.

Merry Christmas, Sandy, if we don't hear from you before then.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

Any crack/club news you can give us GMck...?

Been very quiet on here this week.

Plenty going on but nothing to report yet. Just finalising arrangements for friendly . Announcement next week after rfl clearance. In discussions with players and as soon as they're over the line we'll let you know. Race night this Saturday at 7 to raise funds for the club 

Archived