Sign in to follow this  
Robin  Evans

Obituary thread 2017

Radio presenter Brian Matthew, aged 88.

Edited by Futtocks

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

19 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That's very sad. I enjoyed his Saturday morning 'Sounds of the Sixties' show, which he presented until a few weeks ago and sounded as though he was in good health.

In the sixties he presented a TV show called 'Thank Your Lucky Stars', which was very popular at the time.

RIP!

56 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

BBC saying he's not dead, in hospital.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

38 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

BBC saying he's not dead, in hospital.

Yep, there's been a retraction. Not sure where the fake news originated.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yep, there's been a retraction. Not sure where the fake news originated.

I think Radio 2 did report it initially.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think Radio 2 did report it initially.  

yes the bbc reported his death then a couple of hours later made a statement that he was alive, shambolic by the bbc considering how they treated a man who was/is a national treasure, talk about adding insult to injury!

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

43 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

yes the bbc reported his death then a couple of hours later made a statement that he was alive, shambolic by the bbc considering how they treated a man who was/is a national treasure, talk about adding insult to injury!

Yes the BBC did it deliberately because they're EVIL. Or, perhaps, they were misinformed (just as other media outlets were) and reported what they had heard (just as other media outlets did).

As for his contract being terminated, that is an employer letting someone go who is in his late eighties, and had recently been in quite bad health. An employer who had kept him in his position over two decades past standard retirement age, before finally biting the bullet and making the decision.

It is a shame for his fans that he was let go, but nobody's career can last forever. And the Daily Wail will use any excuse they can to attack the Beeb.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yes the BBC did it deliberately because they're EVIL. Or, perhaps, they were misinformed (just as other media outlets were) and reported what they had heard (just as other media outlets did).

As for his contract being terminated, that is an employer letting someone go who is in his late eighties, and had recently been in quite bad health. An employer who had kept him in his position over two decades past standard retirement age, before finally biting the bullet and making the decision.

It is a shame for his fans that he was let go, but nobody's career can last forever. And the Daily Wail will use any excuse they can to attack the Beeb.

if they cant even get the facts right about a man who has worked for them for decades how can we trust any thing they report -sorry, this is going off thread- maybe refer to the thread about the sacking itself

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

American comedian Don Rickles, aged 90.

Andrea Cristea, the 31 year old Romanian tourist who fell into the Thames after being hit by Khalid Massood's car on Westminster Bridge.

Doctors turned off her life support system on Thursday.

Desperately sad news.

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Andrea Cristea, the 31 year old Romanian tourist who fell into the Thames after being hit by Khalid Massood's car on Westminster Bridge.

Doctors turned off her life support system on Thursday.

Desperately sad news.

Terrible news alongside all the others who have lost their lives.

RIP Tim Pigott-Smith.

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Futtocks said:

well 3 days later hes died- I imagine someone at the hospital put the Dermot oh dreary show on this morning and that finished him off- rip brian mathew

Edited by graveyard johnny

Very sad to hear of Brian Matthew's passing, one of the most instantly recognisable voices on the radio. 

And if his treatment by the BBC is as it has been reported, what an awful few months since January it must have been for him. A very shabby way to get rid of somebody who worked for them for around 60 years.

RIP to Mr "Sounds of the Sixties".

• Like 2

RADFORD OUT!

On 27/03/2017 at 11:34 PM, Griff9of13 said:

One of our own, so to speak, David Storey

This Sporting Life is one of the best sporting novels and films ever made. 

Just so the movie today for the first time. Brilliant piece of film making.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

7 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

John Geils of the J Geils band.

Brilliant live; saw them twice.

:(

Would it be in bad taste to say his blood runs cold? 

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Would it be in bad taste to say his blood runs cold? 

My memory has just been sold

On March 27, 2017 at 9:21 PM, tim2 said:

Clem Curtis of The Foundations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39410596

Baby, Now That I've Found You

Build Me Up Buttercup

etc.

I saw him perform on a cruise ship a few years ago. Still very popular with the ladies, although they were a fair bit older than the groupies he may have had in his heydey!

I remember seeing the Foundations at the New Century Hall in Manchester in 1967 or 1968. Brilliant but hardly the ' British Temptations' as Clem's obit in The Times reported. 

1 hour ago, Cherry and White said:

American actor, comedian Charlie Murphy age 57.

Never heard of him, but a Google revealed that he was Eddie's brother. Leukaemia's a horrible disease.

Clifton James

American actor Clifton James, best known for his portrayal of James Bond character Sheriff JW Pepper, has died aged 96.

Fusion guitar player Allan Holdsworth, aged 70. The only person ever to play with both Soft Machine and Level 42!