Sheffield Predictions.

ram1999k

Youre still a very poor team so I was surprised at some of these predictions, we at Batley are even worse hence your good friday win.

I expect you to progress in the cup next Sunday though.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

Sheffield played the ball much quicker than they allowed us. We seem unable to put players on the floor and slow the PTB down. Our kicking was very poor Sheffield's was excellent and our completion rate in the 2nd half was appalling. We couldn't have made it any easier for a good Sheffield team.

Yes Neil has lots to ponder after tonight. I don't know whether Schoey and Pryce were still heavily involved in tonight's set up but if so now is the time for Neil to make his mark and take the reins. I agree the ref wasn't the best but we need to learn fast and stop coughing up possession, conceding silly penalties and play with aggression. Sheffield out muscled us in every department, they know how to slow down our play the ball but they play the ball quickly. We don't do that and we need to learn how and fast. Why was Potts playing? Please don't put him in again. Browny is starting to shine and Douglas is a good lad but sorry disagree regarding Stringer. Shadow of his former self and stops when he takes the ball. Didn't expect to win tonight but neither did I expect us to get a stuffing being only 4 down at half time. It's going to take time and Morrisons poor recruitment has put us behind the 8 ball but I'm still convinced Neil will keep us up. 

18 quid in,and i could have walked in for nothing.Nobody was checking the tickets.

The ground is a disgrace, if it was kirklees i don't think they  would get a safety certificate for 10.000 people

The team did alright for the first 30 mins.Then the penalty count started and went on and on and well you know.

Yes rugby aside. It's my first visit to Wakey for many years and how this ground is allowed to host SL is beyond belief. The Gents takes you back to the 1960's. I can't imagine going for a pee when they have 1000 plus. Good job the crowd was only 450. That's another story. 450 for a home game Sheffield. Pathetic.

Potts came in as Brown got injured before kick off I presume as he was originally named to start.  Atleest 200 from Dewsbury. Good vocal support and decent numbers considering the kick off time and everyone as work in morning.. As for the game itself, thought the lads tried hard, we are a very young team, let's not forget that. Some players are good enough and afew sadly ain't. It will take time. It's not going to be a quick fix as we are sadly not a team of big name super star players of the championship but we all know and have faith that Ned will in time turn us around. Small steps I'm afraid not giant leaps.. 1st halft was ok, 2nd half was poor, too many pens and knock ons and we couldn't control sheffields quick play the balls well enough especially in 2nd half. That said when you have little ball or in deed no ball for 2 10 min periods in each half. Defences do become tired. I don't believe we're guaranteed to go down. Certainly plenty of winnable games. Oldham at home in league next up is huge but we all have to stay united behind the lads and Kelly. Stay behind the lads vocally it can help them! Especially at the Tetleys. We move on to next week and go again.. in it together remember. Keep the faith! We have best man for job!

At least Kelly can have no illusions of the task he faces!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

10 hours ago, christheram said:

Potts came in as Brown got injured before kick off I presume as he was originally named to start.  Atleest 200 from Dewsbury. Good vocal support and decent numbers considering the kick off time and everyone as work in morning.. As for the game itself, thought the lads tried hard, we are a very young team, let's not forget that. Some players are good enough and afew sadly ain't. It will take time. It's not going to be a quick fix as we are sadly not a team of big name super star players of the championship but we all know and have faith that Ned will in time turn us around. Small steps I'm afraid not giant leaps.. 1st halft was ok, 2nd half was poor, too many pens and knock ons and we couldn't control sheffields quick play the balls well enough especially in 2nd half. That said when you have little ball or in deed no ball for 2 10 min periods in each half. Defences do become tired. I don't believe we're guaranteed to go down. Certainly plenty of winnable games. Oldham at home in league next up is huge but we all have to stay united behind the lads and Kelly. Stay behind the lads vocally it can help them! Especially at the Tetleys. We move on to next week and go again.. in it together remember. Keep the faith! We have best man for job!

I agree broadly with what you say Chris (although the majority of our fans don't go to work any morning I believe) but my disappointment was the poor performances of a number of our more experienced players. At half time it looked as if we were going to see an intriguing second half with two fairly well matched teams up to that point. What developed was frankly shambolic with no cohesion or leadership on view.

We will still be there week after week and will give Ned our fullest backing but I continue to fear that the rebuilding job might be taking place in C1 rather than this league if we can't stitch a couple of decent results together.

(On a separate note, given the fact that it is pay on the gate on Sunday, combined with the poor form currently being exhibited by both teams I shudder to think what the attendance for the cup game might be.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

18 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I agree broadly with what you say Chris (although the majority of our fans don't go to work any morning I believe) but my disappointment was the poor performances of a number of our more experienced players. At half time it looked as if we were going to see an intriguing second half with two fairly well matched teams up to that point. What developed was frankly shambolic with no cohesion or leadership on view.

We will still be there week after week and will give Ned our fullest backing but I continue to fear that the rebuilding job might be taking place in C1 rather than this league if we can't stitch a couple of decent results together.

(On a separate note, given the fact that it is pay on the gate on Sunday, combined with the poor form currently being exhibited by both teams I shudder to think what the attendance for the cup game might be.)

Somewhere between 850-1000 I'd guess

53 minutes ago, christheram said:

I'm just glad ours ain' on BBC. Would put afew off coming too. Whitehaven v Halifax on BBC 

The showing of both H.W teams would not be out of place on the Rocky Horror show never mind grandstand.ripped apart second half on a wide pitch.Tonks a battering ram when he comes on.Trouble is hes having to put it to use at the wrong end.Keep saying it were in an identical situation to last year the only difference is the teams thats come up can play a bit.which puts us deep in the mire.Sooner or later when you only settle for mid table season after season this would happen.

For what it's worth I was also disappointed with the result but thought that the team put in a good effort both in attack and defence . Their passing along the line was much improved but we were beaten by a better organised,better drilled, stronger, fitter and combined  team. Sheffield are masters at milking penalties from the ref. Some fans on this forum think that some of our players are not good enough, but Kile Trout used to play for us, was released, and did well yesterday for Sheffield. It may be that all the majority of our players need is better coaching  and some subtle moves. How many times when Sheffield were attacking did they leave a big gap between the centre and winger on the open side (winger standing on touch line) so that when we numbered off we mistook the centre for the winger and thus gave them an opportunityto pass or kick into the space? We could also improve our backing up. Having said all this  I remember Neil's time with us before and trust him to do the job although it may take some time. Let's get behind him and only criticise constructively. Personal remarks only upset people.

That's the thing, we all know Neil is a good coach and that it ain't going to be a quick fix. It will take time. We just have to trust him and do as he asks by all pulling together and supporting the lads that are currently playing. Given time things will improve in the long term. If anyone had us down to win 1 out of the 2 games over Easter I'd of taken that. Think we all would. Oldham at home is a massive game in 2 weeks time. Let's not forget we also have a game in hand. 

To be fair to the lads i think after Fridays first win we all expected a bit too much.To go to their gaff on a quick turn round was a bit much.Last Thursday we would have taken 2 out of 4 points over Easter.Its starting to turn round hopefully in time.Ned said it was not a quick fix we need the scalps of those just up the ladder from us.All we can do is turn up and support like we did last night.

Walking up to the ground on Doncaster Road last night, I thought I'd got the wrong day, as it was absolutely devoid of any people. I didn't see a single person. 

I went to the entrance behind the covered stand to see all the turnstiles closed; and I'm saying to myself 'have I got the right night here'.

Undeterred, I walked round to the main stand and realised that I had to get a Jimmy  Cricket (ticket ) from the portacabin from a lady which cost eighteen quid.

Ticket in hand I entered the stadium (sic) to be met by the most dilapidated, run down ground that would not look out of place in shanty town. Are Wakefield in Super League by any chance? The words super and Wakefield should not be used in the same sentence when referring to Belle  Vue. By the way Belle Vue stands for nice view in french. 

Anyway, the game itself. Well, the first thirty minutes were pretty much even, before Sheffield scored three quickfire tries, and I'm thinking, 'here we go'. But to the Rams credit, they scooted over for two late tries, which gave us some hope for the second half, and also got the Dewsbury supporters in front of  me singing and dancing with delight, hoping we were all set for a comeback. 

I sat patiently at half time, watching the Eagles cheer squad dancing and wondered how Sheffield manage to survive on such tiny crowds, and how they have put together a decent squad in such a short space of time. 

The second half arrives and I'm full of optimism.They're kicking to us, so we get first use of the footy (I've been watching the NRL on the telly) only trouble is, we knock on straight away, and the next forty minutes is a bloody horror show. 

The hooter blows and I start walking down Doncaster Road again. I'm feeling a lot different to the way I felt on friday after we'd downed Batley. Well, that's sport I guess. Emotions up one minute, then down the next. Please save us Neil, please. 

I still didn't see anybody about when walking back to the car by the way. Just saying. 

Archived