Team strengthening

Monkeymagic22

Must admit at first this signing left me a bit lukewarm but looking at the bitter foaming at the mouth on the Dewsbury board I'm starting to think he must be the second coming, especially as he wasn't even their player. 

It's the way of the world, we've been cherry-picked for our best talent by richer clubs as long as I have followed Fev, that's how it is and always will be. 

I don't think any Dewsbury fan expected Iggy to be with us in 2018, but we'd given the lad a chance after he'd previously been farmed out to Oxford, and after a slow start we were starting to see our faith in him rewarded.

I'm sure Iggy's keen to test himself in the Super 8s, but I think a fairer compromise would have been signing him from the start of 2018, given that he already had a loan agreement in place until the end of the season with another club.

Tom

4 minutes ago, Tom Coates said:

I don't think any Dewsbury fan expected Iggy to be with us in 2018, but we'd given the lad a chance after he'd previously been farmed out to Oxford, and after a slow start we were starting to see our faith in him rewarded.

I'm sure Iggy's keen to test himself in the Super 8s, but I think a fairer compromise would have been signing him from the start of 2018, given that he already had a loan agreement in place until the end of the season with another club.

As ive said on the Dewsbury board, loan deals mean nothing these days, sure Batley had maher on loan from cas for season, but ended up in cas squad couple of week into the season. Iggy wasnt going to get a chance at cas, so why why would he wait till 2018 to put himself in the shop window, he will be playing for a deal in 2018 and hopefully get the chance to impress the bottom 4 sl clubs, then maybe be were he wants to be in 2018 instead of waiting another season to reach his goal.

Fair enough - can't argue with the 'shop window' argument, but then perhaps it was naive of Iggy (presumably under the advice of his agent) to commit to Dewsbury for the rest of the season.

We were stitched up big time when Leigh reneged on their agreement to let us have Ben Reynolds for the year in 2016.

Iggy never gave less than 100% for us and he'll only get better with you, playing against top sides in the Super 8s.

Tom

Hopefully we will be going into the 8s, assuming we qualify, a bit less battered and bruised and also not having had what were effectively three cup finals in a row leading into those games. Mentally and physically we were spent going into the 8s last year. I still think there's a gulf in power and pace between SL and Championship but individually there's no reason why we shouldn't have a good crack at any of the other 3 Championship teams and if we caught a SL team on an off day who knows. Would be nice to at least win a game, and 6th or higher would be a right result.

18 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

I agree

(although I thought that was a realistic possibility last year as well)

Me too. With the benefit of hindsight we can say that getting fourth was the big achievement of 2016 and  the Middle 8s were a set too far.

This year seems different. We've been there or thereabouts all year, just brought in a couple of reinforcements (Iggy & JC) and look in decent shape.

I think realistically we should look for a couple of wins (Fax and London for eg) and 6th spot as a very do-able objective. A further surprise win from the other five games would put us in the MPG.

Pure speculation obviously. A couple of key injuries, a couple of morale sapping drubbings and the whole thing could go mammaries up just like last year.

Rugby League, eh?

Hopefully we can win at Oldham and qualify this weekend. It would certainly make it easier for JS to perhaps rest up a few players before the 8's. Also depends on what if any players we got on line from Leeds this year. Perhaps Walters will be the only one.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

HKR aren't as far out of sight as Leigh were last year. A bit more composure would have seen is win one if not both games.....

Nowhere near as good as Leigh were at this point. They wont gain automatic promotion like Leigh did but I think they will make the MPG and you never know in a one off.

As much as I'd love to finish top in the middle 8s, I'd suggest 6th could be a realistic target. Manage that, and it's where the comparatively big money starts.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Archived