Wigan v Hull FC SL game to be played in Wollongong (Merged threads)

Fixture confirmed today, according to Radio 5.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

The timing does seem to suggest that both of them will miss a SL game on the weekend of the 17th Feb meaning they, and their opponents will face another supposedly hated double up weekend later in the season

Not if they are scheduled against each other for round 2 also. That would be the sensible approach so other teams aren't impacted by their jaunt

Who mentioned China? Genius idea. Japan is a Union territory and it's quite popular there,moreso than perhaps we realise. China however, would be perfect. They are a fairly short on average too which matters a bit less than in RU. A marquee match there with good marketing would be huge and if succesful will open the door to a lucrative market.

Regarding the match in Wollongong, I still think that is a perfectly fine idea, I just think why don't they play the WCC there this year instead of always coming over here?

1 minute ago, Forestgravy said:

Who mentioned China? Genius idea. Japan is a Union territory and it's quite popular there,moreso than perhaps we realise. China however, would be perfect. They are a fairly short on average too which matters a bit less than in RU. A marquee match there with good marketing would be huge and if succesful will open the door to a lucrative market.

Regarding the match in Wollongong, I still think that is a perfectly fine idea, I just think why don't they play the WCC there this year instead of always coming over here?

I think that decision lies with the NRL clubs, as there's always been enthusiasm from SL clubs to do just that.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Forestgravy said:

Wolfpack have already announced the next season of Last Tackle will be there next year. They're the only club in RL with a global view to grow their brand. 

From what I've read this looks like a deal set up by Wigan and Hull and not the RFL. If they've got the local agencies involved and are being welcomed over there why the negativity. Both clubs are yes going to use it as a marketing initiative and they've got to be congratulated that they have managed to get a foot in the door of a very hard market to crack. They've been ahead of the game and thought Big the opportunities for both clubs is huge I'll guarantee they will be a few SL chairman who will be kicking themselves they aren't involved.

3 minutes ago, westhuller said:

From what I've read this looks like a deal set up by Wigan and Hull and not the RFL. If they've got the local agencies involved and are being welcomed over there why the negativity. Both clubs are yes going to use it as a marketing initiative and they've got to be congratulated that they have managed to get a foot in the door of a very hard market to crack. They've been ahead of the game and thought Big the opportunities for both clubs is huge I'll guarantee they will be a few SL chairman who will be kicking themselves they aren't involved.

I hope they've kept the RFL in the loop

Its not like Wigan not to involve them when it's arranging or cancelling fixtures is it??

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I hope they've kept the RFL in the loop

Its not like Wigan not to involve them when it's arranging or cancelling fixtures is it??

The game couldn't of gone ahead without RFL sanctioning, maybe Hull and Wigan have been easier to deal with than the RFL as a whole. Both chairman are groundbreakers and must have put a huge amount of work to get in. 

2 minutes ago, westhuller said:

The game couldn't of gone ahead without RFL sanctioning, maybe Hull and Wigan have been easier to deal with than the RFL as a whole. Both chairman are groundbreakers and must have put a huge amount of work to get in. 

You'd assume that was the case with the RFL knowing about it, but with plenty going on in regards to structures, league sizes and international breaks etc. I still find it strange that two clubs know their opening fixture for 2018 and  have a week off regular SL fixtures the following week for friendlies. When it seems the whole sport doesn't even know the size of SL next year. 

Good luck to the clubs involved it'll be a good experience for them no doubt I just can't see how is any benefit to the sport as a whole in the UK

One things for sure Leneghan can't complain about lack of away fans from certain clubs when he's taking a fixture away from his own fans at home 

This about Super League trying to tap in to the much bigger Australian market - to establish a decent TV deal I'd expect. 

It's all well and good trying to promote RL in new areas in Europe/N.America but in Australia you already have a captive audience. Yes they have the NRL (which we all know is a stronger competition) but I do believe the SL provides a completely different brand of rugby and I believe that's the selling point. 

Similar to in football where we know the likes of Juventus/Inter Milan are better sides than Watford/West Brom but the Premier League still gets referred to as the most exciting league in the world. Australian RL fans and anyone who watches NRL on a regular basis will tell you, whilst you appreciate the immense physical effort exerted by the teams (which is clearly far superior to that in SL) the games themselves are often very predictable in their outcome and quite boring to watch. It takes the 3 occasions each year we get treated to Origin games to really see the physical element and skill of the NRL combine to make great viewing. 

Overall, a couple of Super League clubs playing a game in Oz isn't going to shake up the whole viewing audience and have anyone leaping out of their chairs at what a wonderful expansive style of rugby that's played in the northern hemisphere, but it might just gain a fair few new followers who've become a little disillusioned with what the NRL has to offer week in week out.

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Is Leneghan just arranging this as another attempt to ###### off the RFL?

Neither club has made any comments yet and neither has the RFL or Super League. 

Its strange that we know the first fixture of the season but we don't know how many teams are going to be in each league?  There's other Chairmen kicking off about lack of information about next year but then this story comes out.

All very strange to me

As far as I know, there are 12 teams in the league next year. Everything else is just hearsay. I find it very unlikely they'll change the number of teams mid season.

I don't think anyone has made any comment yet because it's not confirmed.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

10 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

As far as I know, there are 12 teams in the league next year. Everything else is just hearsay. I find it very unlikely they'll change the number of teams mid season.

I don't think anyone has made any comment yet because it's not confirmed.

Koukash quoted as saying one Chairman at least is pushing for 13 or 14 teams and they had support.  The Fev chairman came out with concerns also.

You've got to assume it's the same as this ever with changes coming in for 2019. 

I know Koukash is outspoken but i doubt he's made any of that up

Now I can see Wigan, Hull & SL have made comments, not if sure it was planned, or reaction to that local paper braking the news

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Fixture confirmed today, according to Radio 5.

And Hull FC...

http://www.hullfc.com/news/2017-07-26-hull-fc-and-wigan-warriors-to-create-history-next-year

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Koukash quoted as saying one Chairman at least is pushing for 13 or 14 teams and they had support.  The Fev chairman came out with concerns also.

You've got to assume it's the same as this ever with changes coming in for 2019. 

I know Koukash is outspoken but i doubt he's made any of that up

Any changes being discussed are surely for 2019?

How on Earth could they expand the league next year without prior warning?  They'd open themselves up to too many lawsuits.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Any changes being discussed are surely for 2019?

How on Earth could they expand the league next year without prior warning?  They'd open themselves up to too many lawsuits.

Completely agree with you. It's bonkers. But this is RL we are talking about. Koukash definitely said 2018 he's on our side saying it's ridiculous. 

41 minutes ago, Spidey said:

One of the Aussie articles (can't remember which) said the WCS games would be happening in England after the 17th Feb games

Yeah my comment was based on the fact that last year we had to beg a guest team to play to make it a series. The fact that there are now two games already being played versus the NRL clubs makes it less likely they would travel over imho.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah my comment was based on the fact that last year we had to beg a guest team to play to make it a series. The fact that there are now two games already being played versus the NRL clubs makes it less likely they would travel over imho.

Yep, can see that.  It seems Wigan are running things for everybody now ?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Not if they are scheduled against each other for round 2 also. That would be the sensible approach so other teams aren't impacted by their jaunt

That's a decent idea, so unlikely to happen then:D

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Archived