Kangaroos squad for RLWC named

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Poor if true . Thaiday has been a stalwart , and much more deserving of a respectful heads up than Ferguson . Strange, and from a supposedly good mate and Maroon

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Poor if true . Thaiday has been a stalwart , and much more deserving of a respectful heads up than Ferguson . Strange, and from a supposedly good mate and Maroon

"you were called -today, at 3.46pm, mal withheld his number"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Backed up by another stalwart too, Parker.  Been a handful has Sam.

Mind you, I'm biased regarding Meninga, after that elbow at Elland road.

I think we should all be grateful the NRL can release it's players to play for the Kangaroos. God help us if any of them get Injured it could end their Involvement .

4 hours ago, MatthewWoody said:

Still, I can't see the Aussies losing this. 
Too much talent and experience from the so called 'big 3'. 
Though the loss of JT is huge, for this team. 
I know he's very unpopular on this forum, but I think having a coach like WB could help England, this time. But still, not sure the team is good enough. 
I'm not sure the team can perform Internationally after a so long and heavy domestic season. 
I'll be totally supporting Italy and England, as usual, and really hope the English can cause an upset in this tournament. 

I think one of the things in England's favour is that players we expect to get big minutes from in Burgess, Graham Hodgson and Whitehead have had some rest as they finished their NRL seasons early as their teams didn't make the semis. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

its criminal josh addo carr didn't even get in the squad, that's like leaving out offiah from the gb squad back in the day in favour of alan tait

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think one of the things in England's favour is that players we expect to get big minutes from in Burgess, Graham Hodgson and Whitehead have had some rest as they finished their NRL seasons early as their teams didn't make the semis. 

Indeed and Widdop’s confidence must be sky high to , and hopefully he can show that and his club form in this environment . He needs to be given his head to control things by Bennett 

England should more than match Australia in the forwards. Woods, Klemmer, Fifita are very average players and not as good as the likes of Graham, Walmsley, Sam B for me. Cordner is a qualiy backrower but Gillett has still to step up to be classed as being of a similar level as Cordner. Wade Graham is hot and Cold though very dangerous if you give him room.

The wings are nothing too special and the centres dont really have the fear that somebody like Inglis had. I just cant believe that they have ignored Josh Addo-Carr. His speed is something that frightens people. You cant give him a CM or he is off and his support play is top notch. A year under Craig Bellamy has transformed him. Also no JT is a massive blow for the Kangeroos. I would say the Kangeroos do have better Basic Core Skills and are all more used to high intensity games, which many of the English lack.

The difference is Slater, Cronk and Smith and the ability of them to control games. Also the way they know by instinct what the other 2 are thinking and where they are. Add Munster in to the mix, who I think will start at 6 like in SoO, then that's where Australia hold the upper hand. Having a Spine all playing for so long together and all at one club is a massive advantage. The big 3 are all 34, but they all seemed to have got better with age. They showed on Sunday as well as all season how lethal they are and how in control they are of things. Australia probably don't need a Coach really as Smith seems to have things all sorted. Bellamy has said a couple of times he hasn't needed to say anything at Halftime as Smiths already addressed the issues! Australia are still the team to beat even if they are a bit weaker than in previous Cups.

4 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

England should more than match Australia in the forwards. Woods, Klemmer, Fifita are very average players and not as good as the likes of Graham, Walmsley, Sam B for me. Cordner is a qualiy backrower but Gillett has still to step up to be classed as being of a similar level as Cordner. Wade Graham is hot and Cold though very dangerous if you give him room.

The wings are nothing too special and the centres dont really have the fear that somebody like Inglis had. I just cant believe that they have ignored Josh Addo-Carr. His speed is something that frightens people. You cant give him a CM or he is off and his support play is top notch. A year under Craig Bellamy has transformed him. Also no JT is a massive blow for the Kangeroos. I would say the Kangeroos do have better Basic Core Skills and are all more used to high intensity games, which many of the English lack.

The difference is Slater, Cronk and Smith and the ability of them to control games. Also the way they know by instinct what the other 2 are thinking and where they are. Add Munster in to the mix, who I think will start at 6 like in SoO, then that's where Australia hold the upper hand. Having a Spine all playing for so long together and all at one club is a massive advantage. The big 3 are all 34, but they all seemed to have got better with age. They showed on Sunday as well as all season how lethal they are and how in control they are of things. Australia probably don't need a Coach really as Smith seems to have things all sorted. Bellamy has said a couple of times he hasn't needed to say anything at Halftime as Smiths already addressed the issues! Australia are still the team to beat even if they are a bit weaker than in previous Cups.

Pretty good summary.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

11 hours ago, DavidM said:

Mal seems fairly sincere with his apology.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-league/horrified-kangaroos-coach-mal-meningas-apology-to-angry-forward-sam-thaiday/ar-AAsRZBO?li=AA54yd&ocid=spartanntp

On 02/10/2017 at 11:03 AM, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I would have Napa over Woods, Finucane over Graham,Peats or Granville over Hunt and Hess over Klemmer. Plus I would have had the Fox, Josh Addo-Carr in over Boyd, who will do well to be fit for the WC. He looked way off in his last game and shouldn't have played for me. 

I'm sure Toronto would make Sam feel wanted!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

Indeed and Widdop’s confidence must be sky high to , and hopefully he can show that and his club form in this environment . He needs to be given his head to control things by Bennett 

Can't see why not. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Strong squad as always from Australia.

We might hang on to the faint hope that some members of their squad are Test debutants or inexperienced at Test level therefore offering a chance of them being vulnerable. History tells us that they won’t be and what we’ll see is the birth of a couple of legends who’ll taunt us for the next 10 years.

For various reasons theres some very notable absentees in

Thurston, Thaiday, Ferguson, Inglis, Guerra, Gallan, Scott, Nappa and Tedesco

Theres also a number of rookies who might be surprising omissions 

Cotric, Mosby & Mitchell would certainly have looked the part but their time will definitely come, unfortunately for us.

31 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Strong squad as always from Australia.

We might hang on to the faint hope that some members of their squad are Test debutants or inexperienced at Test level therefore offering a chance of them being vulnerable. History tells us that they won’t be and what we’ll see is the birth of a couple of legends who’ll taunt us for the next 10 years.

For various reasons theres some very notable absentees in

Thurston, Thaiday, Ferguson, Inglis, Guerra, Gallan, Scott, Nappa and Tedesco

Theres also a number of rookies who might be surprising omissions 

Cotric, Mosby & Mitchell would certainly have looked the part but their time will definitely come, unfortunately for us.

Three of those you mentioned are either injured or just coming back.

Three are either on the way down or were lucky to be capped.

One has passed his representative days.

Two were unlucky especially Tedesco.

Others like Ado Carr and Dylan Walker were very unlucky.

The next series will see a big changing of the guard.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

9 minutes ago, Allora said:

Three of those you mentioned are either injured or just coming back.

Three are either on the way down or were lucky to be capped.

One has passed his representative days.

Hence I started by saying “for various reasons”

Just now, OMEGA said:

Hence I started by saying “for various reasons”

I know mate, I was wondering if you were going to place the players from my post.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Allora said:

I know mate, I was wondering if you were going to place the players from my post.

Definitely mate, there’s a number of players who’ve been unlucky not to get a call up, my list isn’t meant to be definitive.

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Definitely mate, there’s a number of players who’ve been unlucky not to get a call up, my list isn’t meant to be definitive.

I don't know what more josh addo carr could have done to get a place?

Archived