“Rebel” rugby league World Cup planned for Pakistan (this isn’t a joke)

Copa

1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

There a massive story here of corruption & collusion by RU to destroy RL..and it's not going to take too much digging around to unearth it all

I agree there is something fishy here but I'm wondering if RU will ever take responsibility for any of it. Proving it or getting anyone outside of RL to care about it will be a challenge. RL has no real political clout and has few people of influence and historically those two factors mean you are a doormat. That's how RL in many countries has been treated. I don't want to sound defeatist, but realistically we love a sport others love to kick and they get away with it. It's still here mind you. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RayCee said:

I agree there is something fishy here but I'm wondering if RU will ever take responsibility for any of it. Proving it or getting anyone outside of RL to care about it will be a challenge. RL has no real political clout and has few people of influence and historically those two factors mean you are a doormat. That's how RL in many countries has been treated. I don't want to sound defeatist, but realistically we love a sport others love to kick and they get away with it. It's still here mind you. 

It wont be provable and you wont get any acknowledgement from Rugby Union on this.  Union always makes the smart plays.

The only thing we can do is snowball the story until rugby league journalists put a side personal relationships and do the right thing for the game and start to cover the story..

7 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

I've just swapped messages with the RLIF aligned Kenya RL,I've asked them to sign up here to keep us updated..

They just sent me this

That’s right, I remember contributing to their cause for new rugby balls etc. It’s a kiwi and his wife doing all the work I believe, doing an unbelievable job with very little assistance 

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Has there been any acknowledgement and support from the big personalities in the RLIF about this? I know Collier has brought it up but not heard anything from anyone else? Any mood noises in the RL press as well?

That would require Wood, et al, getting off their backsides and actively looking to do something instead of waiting for things to fall into their laps.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

42 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

That would require Wood, et al, getting off their backsides and actively looking to do something instead of waiting for things to fall into their laps.

So disappointing isn't it?! I know Collier has got a bit of stick recently for not achieving anything during his tenure but I am not sure he's been helped by the English, Kiwis or Aussies - mirrors their interventions into these issues, which are likely not to affect them. 

What is the aim here? Is it for the IRB to have another form of rugby (league) under their umbrella rather than under RLIF? If so isnt this a risky strategy also using up resources they could be using to promote RU 15's and 7's? What happens if that fake body actually gathers momentum and its players decide to merge with the legit RL?

10 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

What is the aim here? Is it for the IRB to have another form of rugby (league) under their umbrella rather than under RLIF? If so isnt this a risky strategy also using up resources they could be using to promote RU 15's and 7's? What happens if that fake body actually gathers momentum and its players decide to merge with the legit RL?

Let's just hope not I can't see it being good for the sport at all. They would just need to pull the plug and it would be pretty much lights out. Union's swimming with money..

56 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

If it takes off they  may be trapped though. I think pretty much all the Eastern European countries they have on their website can only get government funding for Olympic approved sports bodies.

9 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

There a massive story here of corruption & collusion by RU to destroy RL..and it's not going to take too much digging around to unearth it all

You could unearth the lot, including a verifiable paper-trail, plus video evidence of the people admitting to it, while also sodomising kittens, worshipping Beelzebub and listening to Kenny G albums... and it would still probably be dismissed as the whingeing of "chippy" Northern folk. :rolleyes: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, pahars said:

If it takes off they  may be trapped though. I think pretty much all the Eastern European countries they have on their website can only get government funding for Olympic approved sports bodies.

Thats right!, they get carded (this provides major stability for the athlete and his/her future), plus solves alot of the money problems for everyone involved.  I'm new to League, but due to its purely professional past, I  don't think/know if some people fully understand how the amateur athletic scene works with carding. 

You can't get carded unless you are in an approved sport...which many take as a defacto Olympic competition...If we could get 9's into the Commonwealth Games (then maybe later in the Olympics) the athletes would be eligible for carding/ PLUS stable base line funding for coaching etc.

I don't trust these clowns for a second and I think they are corrupt and trying to set it up so they can access this money and put it in their private bank accounts somewhere...they are, in a very devious way, manipulating the structure for personal self benefit:  SONS OF FISHES!  THIS SMELLS LIKE A FIVE DAY TUNA LEFT OUT ON THE DOCK!

getty-images-groundhog.jpg

3 hours ago, Lobbygobbler said:

To me yeah the aim appears to be that they are trying to convince people that "13 aside rugby" is just a different version of 15aside & 7aside "rugby"..

World rugby (IRB) are actively targeting and funding "rebel" federations to kill RL in fledgling nations,like Kenya.

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

To me yeah the aim appears to be that they are trying to convince people that "13 aside rugby" is just a different version of 15aside & 7aside "rugby"..

World rugby (IRB) are actively targeting and funding "rebel" federations to kill RL in fledgling nations,like Kenya.

You only have to look at the arguments put forward in the UAE when Sol Mokdad got arrested.

One of the reason I have argued we need to drop "Rugby". 

In Chile they use Footall 13 which I think is quite a smart move.

I am kind of curious why the IRB would even be worried about RL and going to the trouble of funding a rebel board. Union is so far ahead internationally I could see them being more concerned in how to compete with basketball and football than worrying about stamping out the other minor rugby code.

8 minutes ago, eal said:

I am kind of curious why the IRB would even be worried about RL and going to the trouble of funding a rebel board. Union is so far ahead internationally I could see them being more concerned in how to compete with basketball and football than worrying about stamping out the other minor rugby code.

They can't compete with the sort of money in Football or even Basketball, but they do have long, petty and spiteful memories.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

You only have to look at the arguments put forward in the UAE when Sol Mokdad got arrested.

One of the reason I have argued we need to drop "Rugby". 

In Chile they use Footall 13 which I think is quite a smart move.

I tend to agree. I have always called Rugby League simply Rugby and in any RL area, in England anyway, the word Rugby means Rugby League. However the battle has long been lost really and half of me wishes that 100 years ago the game had just called itself something completely different.

Even now, as much as I would hate it, we would be better calling the game something else. When even in Australia the commentators and pundits talk of Rugby and League it is hard not to think what is the point of clinging on to the word Rugby. Even in our biggest market it is rarely used in general conversation to refer to Rugby League. The game will always struggle for an independent identity whilst it retains the word Rugby. Certainly in new areas I think it does make sense to create a new word for the game and not use Rugby at all and then maybe simultaneously try to shift towards using it in existing RL countries. 

We won the argument about paying players. Openly, at least.

We won the argument about full-time professionalism.

We are looked at by RU as a source of skills when it comes to coaching. 

And we are the reason that the other code can't address the problem of too many players on the pitch.

We are finally (about a century late) looking beyond our narrow borders to a wider world, while their expansion (at 15-a-side) has gone pretty much as far as it can already. Sevens, thanks to their inside man at the IOC, can grow more, but that may do to the full game what T20 is doing to Test Cricket.

So they are trying to win the name, because that's pretty much all they can do. That way, they can co-opt a century of independent history and pretend they are the only game that is "Rugby".

Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

I tend to agree. I have always called Rugby League simply Rugby and in any RL area, in England anyway, the word Rugby means Rugby League. However the battle has long been lost really and half of me wishes that 100 years ago the game had just called itself something completely different.

Even now, as much as I would hate it, we would be better calling the game something else. When even in Australia the commentators and pundits talk of Rugby and League it is hard not to think what is the point of clinging on to the word Rugby. Even in our biggest market it is rarely used in general conversation to refer to Rugby League. The game will always struggle for an independent identity whilst it retains the word Rugby. Certainly in new areas I think it does make sense to create a new word for the game and not use Rugby at all and then maybe simultaneously try to shift towards using it in existing RL countries. 

I grew up in Salford when we talked about Rugby it was League.

I avoid mention Rugby when working because to most people Rugby is Rugby Union.

The level of hatred, hostility, and contempt you will be shown as Rugby League fan it's really not worth getting into Rugby discussion south of Manchester.  That or people just won't understand what Rugby League is.

57 minutes ago, eal said:

Because despite the game having no resources and being run by the most self-important inept bunch of individuals it spreading.

People see the game on youtube and decide to want to play it.

The name Rugby League really does present some problems. The founders effectively called the game "Rugby Competition". I was trying to explain that there are two codes of Rugby to a Tunisian friend of mine and he got confused by the name Rugby League. He thought is was League tournament for Rugby Union, like the Premier League. After about 20 minutes I think he understood that Rugby League is the name of a sport, and not a competition.

Not really sure what the name should be changed to, in New Zealand where I am from originally everyone used to just call the game League.

12 minutes ago, eal said:

The name Rugby League really does present some problems. The founders effectively called the game "Rugby Competition". I was trying to explain that there are two codes of Rugby to a Tunisian friend of mine and he got confused by the name Rugby League. He thought is was League tournament for Rugby Union, like the Premier League. After about 20 minutes I think he understood that Rugby League is the name of a sport, and not a competition.

Not really sure what the name should be changed to, in New Zealand where I am from originally everyone used to just call the game League.

The word "Union" was adopted by the people running the RFU who, in a lot of cases, would come out in hives at the thought of unionisation in other walks of life. Rugby Union has also used the "L" word frequently over the years for competitions, for reasons it keeps to itself, given their long-standing antipathy to the 13-man code and everything it stands for.

I'd also want to know exactly how you explained the difference to this Tunisian chap, because it really isn't difficult if you genuinely intend to avoid confusion. 

And coming from a country where they speak English only slightly better than Australians is barely an excuse. ;) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I believe the Tunisian thought Rugby League was a sub-sport of Union, a bit like the different cricket formats. He asked "can rugby union players in the rugby league?" Now English is not his first language and we were typing back-and-forth, but the use of the word League means something different for the most of the world than it does to RL fans.

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I grew up in Salford when we talked about Rugby it was League.

I avoid mention Rugby when working because to most people Rugby is Rugby Union.

The level of hatred, hostility, and contempt you will be shown as Rugby League fan it's really not worth getting into Rugby discussion south of Manchester.  That or people just won't understand what Rugby League is.

I enjoy educating people about rugby and will even throw footy into the mix at times. Leave the ignorant be

Archived