Match thread: Featherstone Rovers v Halifax Sunday February 4th

marklaspalmas

Bit early this thread, but Im excited.

We've all had a taste of what's to come with the pre-season games where we've seen 22 out of the 24 man squad in action.

Now the hard part.

Assuming (who knows?) there is no DR or further signings, then FIVE players will miss out on Sunday?

What's your preferred line up v Fax?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good shout to get this up early.

All I can say is I don't envy Duffy. I tried to come up with my own 17, and even with no DR I was leaving out some players I didn't really want to. Either Hardman or Thacks might miss out, and looking at the guys who are probably fighting hard to get a place in the pack or on the bench, the likes of Cooper, Brooks, Knowles and Mariano are probably fighting for a maximum of 2 places between them assuming Hock gets picked (which isn't certain, but I reckon he'll play).

I'd be reasonably confident (barring new signings/DR) that numbers 2-7 will be Briscoe, Hardcastle, Misi, Robinson, Ridyard and Holmes. I think Carlile and Wildie will be the 2 hookers, and I'd be surprised if Davies wasn't the right edge 2nd row and Farrell the left given that's where they've both played all pre-season. Beyond that...not sure.

The one thing that's certain is that we'll all have different opinions on who should be the 17.

As for the game...I'm excited but also nervous. There have been some encouraging signs in pre-season but also some concerning ones (goal-line defense and our overall inability to wrap attacking players up). There has been some exciting stuff served up in attack, but we are going to be facing stronger line-ups than some of the ones that have troubled our defence.

Think our season will go as our defensive line speed goes. When we are quickly in the opposition's faces, we look ok defensively. When we don't shut them down straight away, we look a bit vulnerable.

Come on Fev!

At the risk of drifting off topic, I think that Duffy's starting 17 will be :-

1) Hardman. (Club captain, there or there about's)

2)Briscoe. (Looked great in attack and defence)

3)Hardcastle. (Bumps the first defence, gets the ball away)

4)Taulapapa. (Not sure he will finish the season in the centres)

5) Robinson. (Looked great so far)

6) Ridyard. (Nailed on as a leader and ball player)

7) Holmes. (Fantastic on Friday. Growing and growing)

8) Wheeldon. (He will prove his worth this season)

9) Carlile. (Under big pressure from Wildie)

10) Moore) (He will dish it out)

11) Davies (A warrior)

12) Farrell (Starting to look really good)

13) Lockwood (No nonsense)

14) Thackeray/Wildie. (Similar, but can't sub both)

15) Moriano. (Big, pacey. Got to be in there)

16) Cooper. (Earned his place, for sure)

17) Brooks. (Got to prove himself yet)

Gareth Hock looked very short of match fitness, but will join the party later on.

Interesting. One out of Hardman and Thackeray will miss out. Gale and Maskill may have to wait until their time comes. Maybe Hock needs to train on a bit, but i think he may be in there. Two forwards will miss out but none of them deserve that. 

In the 3/4ers both wingers are going well, but I'd really rather see Misi on the wing rather than centre. Not sure how to fit that together.

I wonder why Thacks was  picked to trial at FB rather than say Briscoe.

Id like to think we will get off to a good start, but fax have a decent record against us recently at our place

As well as the our own team dilemmas i wonder who cas will send to fax

Think it will be closer than some anticipate but weve had a decent settled pre season and fax have not

Fev 28 Fax 16

1st try Briscoe

Mom Riddy

Att 2,356

10 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

Id like to think we will get off to a good start, but fax have a decent record against us recently at our place

As well as the our own team dilemmas i wonder who cas will send to fax

Think it will be closer than some anticipate but weve had a decent settled pre season and fax have not

Fev 28 Fax 16

1st try Briscoe

Mom Riddy

Att 2,356

I can't even begin to name our starting 17. Half our nailed on first teamers have either played none of the pre season games or very little of those games. We will be using DR to the max this season and don't be surprised to see us turn up with the full compliment of 5 players on DR and according to Darryl Powell we have the full pick of any player not making the Cas 18 and is fit to play which probably gives us maybe 5 or 6 players who are good enough to play SL and a few decent young lads who might be ready to step up. From what I hear the most likely to make appearance at the moment are Hitchcock, Lo, Ellis, Trueman and Springer with Douglas and Maher probably in our squad anyway although some of those will depend on Cas as one of Ellis or Trueman will be playing for them and the same could go for Lo and Hitchcock.

Although Fev went unbeaten pre season Im not sure they have performed how they have wanted to and Im sure they will get better as the season goes on where as for Fax pre-season its been about giving kids some game time against opposition way better than what they are used to. On that note Im quietly confident that we can cause an upset in this one.

5 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I can't even begin to name our starting 17. Half our nailed on first teamers have either played none of the pre season games or very little of those games. We will be using DR to the max this season and don't be surprised to see us turn up with the full compliment of 5 players on DR and according to Darryl Powell we have the full pick of any player not making the Cas 18 and is fit to play which probably gives us maybe 5 or 6 players who are good enough to play SL and a few decent young lads who might be ready to step up. From what I hear the most likely to make appearance at the moment are Hitchcock, Lo, Ellis, Trueman and Springer with Douglas and Maher probably in our squad anyway although some of those will depend on Cas as one of Ellis or Trueman will be playing for them and the same could go for Lo and Hitchcock.

Although Fev went unbeaten pre season Im not sure they have performed how they have wanted to and Im sure they will get better as the season goes on where as for Fax pre-season its been about giving kids some game time against opposition way better than what they are used to. On that note Im quietly confident that we can cause an upset in this one.

Hope fax know the rules... don’t want another dual reg gate ? 5 dual reg or loans per game 

I can see fev winning a close one due to fax haven’t had a settled full 17 out over pre season 

1 hour ago, Keep The Faith said:

Hope fax know the rules... don’t want another dual reg gate ? 5 dual reg or loans per game 

I can see fev winning a close one due to fax haven’t had a settled full 17 out over pre season 

Hahaha yeah lets hope we stick to the rules. I think we will have the full 5 though in use on Sunday. I did hear there could be a surprise or two in our selection and we should find out for definite tonight barring injury who we will have. One lad I do want to see in our line up is young Sion Jones who looked one of the best forwards on the field in the friendly against much more experienced players. He does remind me a lot of Chris Hill and is developing at a very good rate and will get a chance this season.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

We didnt perform how we wanted to against fax and york due to terrible conditions, but the games against cas and Leeds, we have shown signs of class and made some very good opposition look pretty average. We were pretty much cruising against Leeds till things were swapped around to rest key players for this week. Lets hope for decent conditions to allow a good spectacle for the fans this weekend.

1 hour ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

We didnt perform how we wanted to against fax and york due to terrible conditions, but the games against cas and Leeds, we have shown signs of class and made some very good opposition look pretty average. We were pretty much cruising against Leeds till things were swapped around to rest key players for this week. Lets hope for decent conditions to allow a good spectacle for the fans this weekend.

Its difficult to tell a lot from Friendlies as everyone knows. You have a good team and I expect you to get better as the season goes on however Im not sure about the conditions for the Fax game, apart from been pretty cold it really didnt look too bad although I understand York was a bit of a mud bath hence me not even bothering to try and find it anywhere. By all accounts Leeds and Cas were against mainly academy opposition mainly but by the sounds of Duffy's interview it was the Fax game where he may have got a little wake up call or at least given the players a bit of one. He probably expected, and the fans certainly did, for you to put up a convincing performance against a very young team which never really happened. That said there is nothing to say that our first team regulars who were missing will step back in and do a better job infact I would say theres quite a number of them getting a little complacent.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Its difficult to tell a lot from Friendlies as everyone knows. You have a good team and I expect you to get better as the season goes on however Im not sure about the conditions for the Fax game, apart from been pretty cold it really didnt look too bad although I understand York was a bit of a mud bath hence me not even bothering to try and find it anywhere. By all accounts Leeds and Cas were against mainly academy opposition mainly but by the sounds of Duffy's interview it was the Fax game where he may have got a little wake up call or at least given the players a bit of one. He probably expected, and the fans certainly did, for you to put up a convincing performance against a very young team which never really happened. That said there is nothing to say that our first team regulars who were missing will step back in and do a better job infact I would say theres quite a number of them getting a little complacent.

The leeds starting line up had golding at full back keinhorst and handley in the centres, lilley at half back garbutt and peteru at props, walters ormondroyd and mullaley the back row. Theres a good core of a team there, far from an academy line up. 9 of the starting 13 will play some part for the sl champs this season. That pack is better than the fax pack aswell. Cas also had a pretty strong line up aswell. Plenty of experiance and everyone you will have available on dual reg played.

43 minutes ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

The leeds starting line up had golding at full back keinhorst and handley in the centres, lilley at half back garbutt and peteru at props, walters ormondroyd and mullaley the back row. Theres a good core of a team there, far from an academy line up. 9 of the starting 13 will play some part for the sl champs this season. That pack is better than the fax pack aswell. Cas also had a pretty strong line up aswell. Plenty of experiance and everyone you will have available on dual reg played.

To be fair that starting pack is better than everyone's bar maybe Leigh in this division. The backs, well I'd rather have Fevs backs than those. :)

You never know which way a Fev Fax game will go. They certainly have a better record at Fev than they have on their own ground against us. Its a fixture I always look forward to because of our recent intense rivalry. Its against Fax that we will be able to judge our capabilities. There defence recently has become very dogged whilst our lot must improve our goal line defence. Can't wait.

19 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

No Johnny D?

1 hour ago, Rovers fev said:

From what I’ve seen in the friendlys my team would be 

1.hardman

2.briscoe

3.hardcastle

4.misi

5.robinson

6.ridyard

7.holmes 

8.cooper

9.wilde

10.moore

11.farrell

12.moore

13.lockwood

14.thackeray

15.hock

16.mariano 

17.tagg 

No Davies but at least Moore is covering two positions?? But no Wheeldon. A right selection headache.

Archived