Match thread: Featherstone Rovers v Halifax Sunday February 4th

marklaspalmas

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

There was a decent buzz about the place yesterday.... enhanced with the best turn out from fax in a good while.

There was a very positive vibe about the place like something is happening.....

Well it was that or the previous nights red wine still giving me a buzz?

The place is definitaly buzzing robin, even orders before the match was packed and a buzz about the place.

16 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

Could and shouldve been a win by more than the 16pts it was, Davies n Keal blew walkover tries in 2nd half

Fax were lucky to get 4 points. They were so one dimensional it was untrue, seen more creativity in an U8s game. Murrell had an absolute stinker today - too busy bantering with the fev fans than concentrating on the job in hand, they played the downhill slope terribly

If that is the stuff they are dishing up this year they can forget top 4 on that showing

I agree with a lot of that, again our defence was actually pretty good but you simply can't invite pressure like we do especially against a team with Ridyard in it. We have become accustomed to looking poor in attack so no real surprise there, the only real surprise was that we were still in the game at half time. From that point we should have taken the game by the scruff of the neck but as per we give unforced errors early in the tackle count as soon as we get any position.

The only real positive I can take is that we played most of the game without a half back which is going to effect any team especially in those conditions, in reality it might not have made that much difference but we will never know.

14 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It must be worrying given your defence is your strong point how much Fax struggled to put such a "ten a penny player" on the floor.

We defended well again its just no team can expect to f]defend for as long as we did and win many games. Fev would have had 20-30 in that first half against a poor team.

13 hours ago, Auntie Ruth said:

Think it was a decent performance and our defence was solid, but at times we looked clueless in attack again, a few individual errors cost us tries, we really should have won by more points, I think that was the worst Fax team performance I’ve seen in a while and we should have been 20 up in the first 20/25, but struggled to put it to bed.  Some really promising individual displays today and once we put it all together I think we’ll be great but we’re not quite there yet.....2 points on the table will do nicely though!

Again I agree with most of that.

The worst part for us is that at 8 4 in the 2nd half we didnt even make Fev work, you can excuse if a team is defending really well against you but our handling is so poor at times that Fev must have been laughing their proverbials off.

6 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I agree with a lot of that, again our defence was actually pretty good but you simply can't invite pressure like we do especially against a team with Ridyard in it. We have become accustomed to looking poor in attack so no real surprise there, the only real surprise was that we were still in the game at half time. From that point we should have taken the game by the scruff of the neck but as per we give unforced errors early in the tackle count as soon as we get any position.

The only real positive I can take is that we played most of the game without a half back which is going to effect any team especially in those conditions, in reality it might not have made that much difference but we will never know.

We defended well again its just no team can expect to f]defend for as long as we did and win many games. Fev would have had 20-30 in that first half against a poor team.

Again I agree with most of that.

The worst part for us is that at 8 4 in the 2nd half we didnt even make Fev work, you can excuse if a team is defending really well against you but our handling is so poor at times that Fev must have been laughing their proverbials off.

Arent murrell and johnson half backs? Thought grix showed some decent touchs when johnson went off in the 2nd half. Brandon moore good for fax aswell. Have your views on clark changed on yesterdays showing?

45 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Overall I thought Fev's halves were much better than ours and that was the difference but I expected that before kick off anyway.

Thought fitness played a part too late on, think there’s improvement needed on both sides, but for the first time, in a long time, I didn’t feel that we were going to lose yesterday and thought Robinson’s try was dire from a defensive point of view! Exciting season ahead.....

50 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Johnston isn't a half back anyway. He's a dangerous runner in open field and can cause problems in those situations, but that's about it, he's completely lacking in the guile, intelligence and passing skills you need at half back.

1 hour ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

Arent murrell and johnson half backs? Thought grix showed some decent touchs when johnson went off in the 2nd half. Brandon moore good for fax aswell. Have your views on clark changed on yesterdays showing?

Not sure what your point is about Murrell and Johnston but Johnston went off after about 15-20 minutes with a head injury not to return. Brandon Moore is a shiny light for us but in my opinion we could do with another half back and another hooker. Last season when AOB played we were so much sharper compared to the slowness we have become accustomed to.

Regards Clark my view has not changed on him no. You could change him for half the players who play in his position at the top end of the championship and still have the same results. Im not saying that as a bad thing its just that I don't see him as a stand out and especially not after just one good game. Ive seen many players build a career on the back of one or two good games, take Alex Brown as an example, so yeah not changed yet.

58 minutes ago, Auntie Ruth said:

Thought fitness played a part too late on, think there’s improvement needed on both sides, but for the first time, in a long time, I didn’t feel that we were going to lose yesterday and thought Robinson’s try was dire from a defensive point of view! Exciting season ahead.....

Fitness was always going to play a part as it seemed our game plan was to try and defend up the hill for the first 40 minutes. :) I mean 1st time we get a piggy back we don't even make touch which is so basic but it wasn't the first time its happened and won't be the last for us. If I had any gripes I think your second try the final pass is forward and we had a 'good' try disallowed in the 1st half but we can't have that many complaints as it was a very slack performance from us.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Johnston isn't a half back anyway. He's a dangerous runner in open field and can cause problems in those situations, but that's about it, he's completely lacking in the guile, intelligence and passing skills you need at half back.

I don't see him as any other position but its probably a bit unfair to criticize him in a game he really didnt play in. A lot of Fax fans would agree with your assessment though.

Before the match i thought Fev would win by 8-10 points,but Fax have often surprised us on our ground so i was sweating a bit at 8-4 up and quite a few missed chances.Thought we played quite well the first 20min and last 20 min when our fitness kicked in.We seemed pretty comfortable keeping Fax out apart from the kick to the corner for their try which in the conditions is difficult to defend.We bombed 3 chances from 10m out in the second half Hardman and Davies  in particular.Some of our passing was terrible at times and we will probably have to improve to win next Sunday.

39 minutes ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

The scary thing is we havent clicked properly yet, theres was ulugia, walton, wildie, lockwood, knowles, brookes out of our own squad on the sidelines and no dual reg used. Going to be some team when it clicks.

Thing is Gaz, fax had a decent team out and they would have fancied a sniff... they got tonked.  Ok I know 20-4 is hardly a rogerin, but you know as well as I it could have easily been 40-4 with just a smidge more composure..... they were restricted to just one try and even that should have been defended. A dry surface would have been different.

There is just a feeling about the place. Best squad in a generation

13 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Thing is Gaz, fax had a decent team out and they would have fancied a sniff... they got tonked.  Ok I know 20-4 is hardly a rogerin, but you know as well as I it could have easily been 40-4 with just a smidge more composure..... they were restricted to just one try and even that should have been defended. A dry surface would have been different.

There is just a feeling about the place. Best squad in a generation

Yes mate the link between the halfs is quality, just the final pass didnt come off 3 or 4 times yesterday, or fax would have been finished by half time. Ulugia is going to have some fun in that left centre when hes back.

Watched the first half behind the sticks and saw good movement and communication from the players.For me Ulugia is our best centre and has scored ugly but important trys for us from bad positions.But putting  this sundays game and opponents into context,If we imagine our Team as a racehorse we have won a valuable Handicap on the bridle by six lengths but our next race is in Group company ( the next level up ) .Will we have improvement in us to win this one ,I hope so but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves even though it looks great at the minute weve only ran one race and this season is a long distanse race and not a sprint .

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:07 PM, hoolifan27 said:

I found it amusing, but while it was tongue in cheek I do feel some of the derogatory comments about Featherstone and it people mis-conceived, and I don't get the "Gods own Country" hype about the Halifax area. Upper Calderdale is beautiful but there are some parts of Halifax that are the complete pits, especially around where Thrum Hall used to be sited. I can remember walking up Gibbet Street on the way to a Friday night game at Thrum Hall (I think it was against Hull KR) and coming across a big black dog lying dead at the side of the pavement. When were walking back down after the game the same corpse was still lying there. I asked my brother-in-law about it and he said it was a regular occurrence in that part of the town, which is full of slum landlords and crumbling terrace houses. You could probably buy three of those for the same price as the worst house in Fev?

Back in those days walking up Station Lane must have seemed like paradise compared to the King Cross area of Halifax. People in glass houses and all that! 

Archived