Super League Viewing Figs

Dave T

Looking at the first couple of weeks:

Rd 1: Thursday (Wire v Leeds):

Arena - 58k............Main Event - unknown (less than the 178k in 10th)

Total - Unknown (58k to 235k max)

Rd 1: Friday (Saints v Cas): 

Action - 42k..........Main Event - 178k

Total - 220k

Rd 2: Thursday (Leeds v Hull KR):

Arena - 138k......... Main Event - 0........ Mix - 27

Total - 165k

Rd 2: Friday (Wakey v Salford):

Arena - 86k...........Main Event - 0

Total - 86k

Rd 2: Saturday (Wigan v Hull):

Arena - 55k.............Main Event - unknown (less than 61k)

Total - unknown - 55k to 115k max)

Rd2: Saturday (Catalans v Saints):

Arena - 75k..............Main Event - 0

Total - 75k

It shows the difference the channel you are on makes.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Total - 220k

Total - 165k

Total - 86k

Total - 75k

Agree but I'm sure Sky acknowledge this. What they want (and what they are paying the £££s) is quality watchable sport at their disposal to fill their premium slots whenever they need them. Cricket, Darts, RL etc. will certainly come into this category. It is probably why they love T20 so much that they can bung it into Main Event for 2.5 hours on demand during summer weekday evenings.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Agree but I'm sure Sky acknowledge this. What they want (and what they are paying the £££s) is quality watchable sport at their disposal to fill their premium slots whenever they need them. Cricket, Darts, RL etc. will certainly come into this category. It is probably why they love T20 so much that they can bung it into Main Event for 2.5 hours on demand during summer weekday evenings.

My last point was a reference to apparently knowledgeable people dismissing complaints about the BBC putting England World Cup games on BBC2 as channel snobbery.

As a follow up to my original post, when you look back at last August and September Top 10's - Super League dominates the list for Arena. August sees 9 of the 10 (plus 2 on Action), and September sees all 10 slots taken by SL. Some of these numbers may have been modest, but they will also have had some of these boosted on Main Event and Mix.

The average for the top 10 in Aug/Sept is 72k and 79k, and this drops to 49k and 51k at the end of our season. It takes a good boost in Dec/Jan mainly due to the World Darts, which delivers good numbers.

The numbers, in the new world look solid and whilst we may be described as filler, we do it pretty effectively. Surely we should be offering them more and more of the 'filler'.

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

My last point was a reference to apparently knowledgeable people dismissing complaints about the BBC putting England World Cup games on BBC2 as channel snobbery.

As a follow up to my original post, when you look back at last August and September Top 10's - Super League dominates the list for Arena. August sees 9 of the 10 (plus 2 on Action), and September sees all 10 slots taken by SL. Some of these numbers may have been modest, but they will also have had some of these boosted on Main Event and Mix.

The average for the top 10 in Aug/Sept is 72k and 79k, and this drops to 49k and 51k at the end of our season. It takes a good boost in Dec/Jan mainly due to the World Darts, which delivers good numbers.

The numbers, in the new world look solid and whilst we may be described as filler, we do it pretty effectively. Surely we should be offering them more and more of the 'filler'.

I have long thought that SL should set up the live production on those non-televised SL games and make them available to Sky. Who knows Sky may offer additional perks such as allowing SL to simulcast live games with Sky via streaming etc. They may also want to put these games on their on demand or red button services. We should be the ones creating the initiative and not sitting on our *****.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I have long thought that SL should set up the live production on those non-televised SL games and make them available to Sky. Who knows Sky may offer additional perks such as allowing SL to simulcast live games with Sky via streaming etc. They may also want to put these games on their on demand or red button services. We should be the ones creating the initiative and not  

Aviva Prem does that, meaning that at the very least they have broadcast quality highlights of each game, plus there games can be sold abroad.

Interestingly, not every game is broadcast live in the UK, it would be interesting to know whether that is BT's decision or Premiership RU's.

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It would help if historically the RFL hadn't allowed clubs to start to schedule matches in direct competion to televised games

I agree. When you are talking about tens of thousands, it feels weird to take out tens of thousands of potential fans.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aviva Prem does that, meaning that at the very least they have broadcast quality highlights of each game, plus there games can be sold abroad.

Interestingly, not every game is broadcast live in the UK, it would be interesting to know whether that is BT's decision or Premiership RU's.

Well for a start there would potentially be a market with Fox down under via the WatchNRL app. I mean we are talking about 4 max each week and 3 games most weeks. The outlay could be recouped (and some) with a very professional and thought out approach. 

18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Well for a start there would potentially be a market with Fox down under via the WatchNRL app. I mean we are talking about 4 max each week and 3 games most weeks. The outlay could be recouped (and some) with a very professional and thought out approach. 

Well there is a model there, it would be easy to speak to the company behind the Premierships approach and get a business case.

One of the big challenges is possibly the real lack of international market. I dont know where RUs comp is broadcast but they do have NZ, Aus, SA, US, Argentina, Fra, Italy etc with more established markets than RL by miles.

There would probably need to be a long term investment decision rather than a way to make a quid or two.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Probably the same rules as what stops every PL game being shown in the UK even though every game is broadcast live for the rest of the world to watch.

I whole heartadly agree that we should have a modest production team to package some live games and highlights. If a tin pot organisation like Premier can do it surely the RFL can find means to do it. I think the Catalan games only have 2/3 cameras and the production is more than suitable.

37 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Probably the same rules as what stops every PL game being shown in the UK even though every game is broadcast live for the rest of the world to watch.

I whole heartadly agree that we should have a modest production team to package some live games and highlights. If a tin pot organisation like Premier can do it surely the RFL can find means to do it. I think the Catalan games only have 2/3 cameras and the production is more than suitable.

Well there are no rules, it is a commercial decision by the sport not to show every game live in the UK (or there is no demand from the broadcaster). That is my point.

I think the Catalans games have far more than you'd think, particularly as they have a full VR facility.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Well there are no rules, it is a commercial decision by the sport not to show every game live in the UK (or there is no demand from the broadcaster). That is my point.

I think the Catalans games have far more than you'd think, particularly as they have a full VR facility.

Is the Saturday black out only soccer specific? 

I thought I heard during a broadcast that Catalan games only had 3 cameras, if you check next time you will only see a couple of angles available for the VR. I could be totally mistaken though.

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Total - 220k

Total - 165k

Total - 86k

Total - 75k

How do these figures compare to the last 2, 3, or 4 years on Sky?

Are more or less people tuning in?

I agree totally with you that not being on Sky Sports Main Event is a major blow in terms of getting general sports fans to watch.

42 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I thought I heard during a broadcast that Catalan games only had 3 cameras, if you check next time you will only see a couple of angles available for the VR. I could be totally mistaken though.

Be interesting to look out, but they have two at the side for starters (one wide angle and one zoomed in), and at least one at each end at ground level. I think they also have a touchline cam and maybe a reverse one.

It is certainly less than Sky, but probably 6 or 7 and probably the same or similar to the decent Premier games.

50 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

On the first point, i believe so, as it is a self imposed factor of their broadcasting deals aa far as i can see.

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I always watch on sky arena. Out of interest, do recordings of the show also add to figures? 

Also if your Sky/Virgin box is left on that channel when TV is turned off, does that also count as a viewer? 

Aren’t these barb figures I thought they were measured by selected households. So it wouldn’t matter what people who haven’t been selected by barb watch. Although I bet Sky know exactly how many people are watching each channel. 

26 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I think it also shows the space for an alternative whether through an over the top service like the NRL app or through a dedicated RL channel. 

You can see the ghettoisation of the game when on Arena or Action and not main event, the 50-90k who will watch on arena/action are the ones you would look to monetise through a dedicated stream. The 150k+ who watch on Main Event would be the casual fans sky look to monetise through their subscriptions. 

What the main event numbers show is that most fans subscribe to all sports channels. 

The last point is interesting amd I suspect that is largely due to the fact that Sky have ballsed this up, to the point where they are pretty much retaining bundled sports rathet than push the whole pick and mix concept this was meant to lead to.

What it has done though is in addiyion to the numbers you highlight is show that RL's market size is 50 to 80k nornal rounds and 150k on Grand Final night and that Main Event viewers are those Sky bring to the table. I know its not an exact science but if Sky can prove that the Main Event viewers can be brought in by showing a cheaper sport then that is a risk for us.

One of their stated aims though is to have the variety and something for every household and evrryone in it, and RL swamping the listings is all it can do really.

• 3 weeks later...

Viewing figures from the games in Oz:

Wigan v Hull - 55k (no figs on Main Event - lower than 61k)

Hull v St George - 42k (no figs on Main Event - lower than 55k)

Wigan v Souths - 34k (no figs on main event - lower than 55k)

World Club Challenge - 60k (no figs on Main Event - lower than 55k)

World Club Challenge Highlights - 21k (no figs on Main Event - lower than 55k)

Are there any Oz viewing figures knocking around?

For comparison:

2017 - World Club Challenge (Sat Afternoon) - 167k

2008 - World Cup Opener - Sat Morning - 234k

England WC Opener - Sun Morning - 201k

On 22/02/2018 at 1:06 PM, Dave T said:

Total - 220k

Total - 165k

Total - 86k

Total - 75k

Is this because pubs leave it on main event?

The Wigan hull game was early hours so would impact on viewers.

21 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Is this because pubs leave it on main event?

The Wigan hull game was early hours so would impact on viewers.

Main Event is the new Sky Sports 1.

SL games are now shown on Sky Sports 8 effectively. Previously anything below Sky Sports 2 massively affected your figures.

Getting on Main Event as well as Arena (and hopefully Mix too) makes a big difference.

Here are the recent OZ viewing figures for 2018 for comparison sake if anyones interested.

WCC Games
Storm V Rhinos FTA Metro 381k (Channel 9) (Syd 176k Mel 79k Bri 127k) + Fox 79k = 460k
Dragons v Hull FC 83k Fox
Rabbitohs v Wigan 95k Fox

Trial Weekend 23rd/24th of Feb (only showed on Fox Sports)

Cowboys v Storm 153k, Souths v Dragons144k (interesting to note that weekend the week 2 super rugby clash of the Waratahs vs Stormers in Sydney was viewed by 88K on Fox Sports!)

Round 1 2018

Thursday Night - Dragons vs Broncos: 512K Channel 9 (Sydney 244k Mel 33k Bri 208k Ade 6k Per 21k) + Fox Sport 261K = 773K

Friday Night - 6pm game  - Knights vs Sea Eagles: Fox Sports only 266K

Friday Night - 7.30 game - Sharks vs Cowboys: 709K Channel 9 + Fox Sports 269K = 978K

Saturday (all on Fox Sports) - Warriors vs Souths: 276K, Bulldogs vs Storm 258K, Roosters vs Tigers 274K

Sunday - Panthers vs Eels: 603K Channel 9 + Fox Sports 242K = 845K

Titans vs Raiders = 217K (Fox only)

The Super Rugby played in OZ this week was Reds vs Bulls 52K & Brumbies vs Rebels 46K both on fox sports.

17 minutes ago, Southerner said:

I saw a recent clip of Eddie Hearn stating that both Darts and Boxing smash Rugby League for viewing figures - I thought League got better TV viewing figures? Did he mean attendances?

Darts gets good viewing figures. As do top boxing bouts. Regular weekly boxing stuff is below RL.

Im sure I saw Nigel Wood quote something like us being the 11th biggest for viewing figures.

What many of these sports cant do is deliver 90 or so rounds of solid figures.

Archived