Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Harry Stottle

Is the Summer Bash destined to be a flop?

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Bulliac said:

The problem with the festival analogy is that it is only the main stage which gets on TV.

The major point about the Bash is that it is the only event for Championship clubs gets Sky coverage, mix it in with an SL competition and that almost certainly is going to be lost.

yeah, and I did call out the TV coverage as an issue in my original post.

Unfortunately, there is a risk that a small number of thousands at this event may kill it off anyway.

Whilst it may be classed as a made-for-tv product, it does need to be a decent event with fans supporting it.

Back to the festival point though, the amount of content that the BBC get out of Glastonbury is more than Summer Bash irrc.

Edited by Dave T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Benjamaphone said:

I'm hoping someone here can be more helpful than the RFL twitter account - are the tickets for the summer bash for specific seats or do people just sit anywhere? 

A quick glance at the ticket site answers that for you:

mm?id=1901

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave T said:

A quick glance at the ticket site answers that for you:

mm?id=1901

 

Cheers Dave, I had seen that but then when you select an area you get to choose "seats" from a grid with different ones highlighted red/green which made me think that it wasn't unreserved seating - I was after someone who has been to the bash before to clarify but seeing as it's unlikely to get anywhere near selling out I guess it's a moot point!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Benjamaphone said:

Cheers Dave, I had seen that but then when you select an area you get to choose "seats" from a grid with different ones highlighted red/green which made me think that it wasn't unreserved seating - I was after someone who has been to the bash before to clarify but seeing as it's unlikely to get anywhere near selling out I guess it's a moot point!

Will they have the tv cameras facing the east stand, to give the impression that no one's there, like so often happens? 


My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RayCee said:

Will they have the tv cameras facing the east stand, to give the impression that no one's there, like so often happens? 

No, pretty sure I've seen football on TV there recently(ish) and they've moved the camera so it faces on to the West stand now instead of the god awful East. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RayCee said:

Will they have the tv cameras facing the east stand, to give the impression that no one's there, like so often happens? 

It doesn't look like they'll need to 'give the impression that no one's there' no matter which way the cameras are pointing ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Benjamaphone said:

Cheers Dave, I had seen that but then when you select an area you get to choose "seats" from a grid with different ones highlighted red/green which made me think that it wasn't unreserved seating - I was after someone who has been to the bash before to clarify but seeing as it's unlikely to get anywhere near selling out I guess it's a moot point!

It's unreserved seating, but you're restricted to either the northerly half or southerly half depending on which club you support/want to sit with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, Dave T said:

yeah, and I did call out the TV coverage as an issue in my original post.

Unfortunately, there is a risk that a small number of thousands at this event may kill it off anyway.

Whilst it may be classed as a made-for-tv product, it does need to be a decent event with fans supporting it.

Back to the festival point though, the amount of content that the BBC get out of Glastonbury is more than Summer Bash irrc.

Oh absolutely, I take the point that the Beeb get more than just the top acts from Glasto, but the analogy falls short when you consider that, whilst you can always show a set of music at any point afterwards, sport is always more immediate and dates instantly when the results are known. You may get away with a slightly delayed coverage but beyond an hour or so it's dead.

I think the other point is probably more pertinent; small attendances will kill it. Even on TV a miserable attendance kills the atmosphere surrounding the game stone dead, and that applies to both TV and at the ground.


No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bulliac said:

Oh absolutely, I take the point that the Beeb get more than just the top acts from Glasto, but the analogy falls short when you consider that, whilst you can always show a set of music at any point afterwards, sport is always more immediate and dates instantly when the results are known. You may get away with a slightly delayed coverage but beyond an hour or so it's dead.

I think the other point is probably more pertinent; small attendances will kill it. Even on TV a miserable attendance kills the atmosphere surrounding the game stone dead, and that applies to both TV and at the ground.

The problem the summer bash is always going to see is small attendances. As a competition it only gets 10k on a good week. Split over two days that's only 5k. So even on 'par' it's going to be a struggle.

Added to it being held in Blackpool which doesn't hold massive attraction and has little local support and it's very difficult to increase that. 

If you are struggling to get people through the door in workington or batley you aren't going to get them travelling from workington or batley to Blackpool which leaves the local fans as your market. Then the question becomes what use is getting people through the gate once a year in Blackpool?

The championship needs to investigate other options for getting them on tv that fans will actually attend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

The problem the summer bash is always going to see is small attendances. As a competition it only gets 10k on a good week. Split over two days that's only 5k. So even on 'par' it's going to be a struggle.

Added to it being held in Blackpool which doesn't hold massive attraction and has little local support and it's very difficult to increase that. 

If you are struggling to get people through the door in workington or batley you aren't going to get them travelling from workington or batley to Blackpool which leaves the local fans as your market. Then the question becomes what use is getting people through the gate once a year in Blackpool?

The championship needs to investigate other options for getting them on tv that fans will actually attend. 

What was the attendance for Leigh v Bradford?  What attendance will be from Toulouse,Toronto and London? Now you can possibly see the reasons for 2 SL divisions..

Going round in circles again..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No-one, except maybe the RFL and this would be unlikely,actually knows the attendance for individual games as it is only given for each day. I guess each club would now how many tickets they sold and these totals could be added together? That would give a fair idea.

Maybe the idea of a largish all-seater stadium is the wrong way to go for the Bash? Maybe a smaller stadium, more central to the heartlands would attract a larger crowd, though this would clearly downgrade the event as a 'spectacular', but would look better than a seating exhibition in a bigger one.


No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without going through every response on this firstly I am not too fussed if expansion happens or not at the location. Its a positive spin off if it does but if it keeps Sky happy, puts some pennies in the RL coffers and fans have a good weekend (I look forward to Newcastle every year) then im happy.

Given that Newcastle RU used SJP (with a good crowd) I dont understand however why Thunder are not made the first game of the magic weekend? Surely having the "home" team at the weekend would help with locals (and it has to be said I have heard plenty of local accents at the games before).

And finally I have said it before if cities are queuing up to do this I would follow the concept for a full round of either Challenge cup quarters (or maybe semis) at one location given we moan about the attendances for those each year. The quarters would potentially allow fans from other/smaller clubs to sample the magic weekend style atmosphere.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thunder aren't in SL, of course, so wouldn't be at Magic anyway, of course, unless there is a specific exception made, and to be honest, I'd expect most Newcastle RL fans would go along anyway to a big event in their home city, with or without Thunder actually playing - it's not as though the area was awash with opportunities to see top flight action. 

For the general, further flung fans, relatively few will watch most, or even all, of the games, more will possibly watch their own team and maybe another game (or so) but the majority seem to arrive in time to watch their own game and then leave, either to sample the other delights, or go home. You'll never get every ticket holder in the stadium at the same time, for either Magic or the Bash. Magic though, if not the Bash, does seem to generate some extra coverage in the national press, a press which normally gives us only scant coverage at best, so maybe it is worthwhile on that basis alone?

Edited by Bulliac

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...