New Grounds.

2 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

For example you would have never known we won the championship in 2017 or that a Rugby club exists in the city. No posters, billboards, no city centre shop, no campaigns on the plethera of LED screens around the city.

Interestingly, I see most of this stuff that you claim there's nothing or little of. Whilst there's undoubtedly more the club can do (perhaps acknowledged given that they've made new hires in the marketing department this year), I drive past a Rhinos billboard every day on the approach to Armley Gyratory (indeed, the owner of many of these screens is actually a club sponsor) and there's plenty of other activity going on around the city. The club invested heavily in promoting the two games at Elland Road. Personally I'm not suprised or bothered about the lack of a city centre shop - retail unit rents in the city centre are astronomical and the club has rightly focused on ecommerce and the stadium store. 

To say that "you'd never know a rugby club exists" is not just massively unfair, I think it's completely inaccurate. 

Yes, Leeds does have challenges, but I think it generally does alright. With the exception of London and arguably Salford, it's probably marketing to the most transient audience in all of RL land - there are more students and out-of-town professionals in Leeds' core target market than most other clubs'. There are also far more distractions for people's leisure dollar in Leeds than there are in other parts of RL land - its a city with lots of competing ways to spend your spare cash.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I understand your position but at the moment it is probably about right, as with the current ownership there doesn't seem to be much motivation to create bigger crowd figures. We have very little footprint in the city, no marketing other than a bit of social media.

For example you would have never known we won the championship in 2017 or that a Rugby club exists in the city. No posters, billboards, no city centre shop, no campaigns on the plethera of LED screens around the city.

We're going o/t a bit but I agree, the club's profile is way too low. You shouldn't be able to walk through Leeds without seeing the club's presence.

The club is very well run from a management perspective and Hetherington runs a very tight ship. The sponsors stick around for ever unlike some clubs because they are treated like kings.

But it's not that hard for Leeds to be the biggest club in the game by default and it shouldn't be something to massively crow about. Simply having a bigger and richer target market has made the marketing side a bit lazy in my view.

37 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I understand your position but at the moment it is probably about right, as with the current ownership there doesn't seem to be much motivation to create bigger crowd figures. We have very little footprint in the city, no marketing other than a bit of social media.

I see no reason why Leeds can’t have a pop up shop in the city centre maybe at the start of the season or before Magic Weekend.

Why did they stop having trophy ceremonies at Millennium Square? 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes it did offer options  , and there were things you could get at Headingley that you couldnt at the LSV

Wooden seats and restricted views

For the Uks premier club , it was a dump , it no longer is , and thats great , is it ' iconic ' ? , no , does it have ' Character ' ? , no , not really , it is a collection of 3 different stands that provide good views and will make the club more revenue

If Leeds could have afforded to knock it all down and get the planning for a ' mini Emirates ' they would have done , as it happens they couldnt , but all this " I much prefer it to a stadium with 4 even regular stands all round " nonsense is boring , people can lie to others , but they cant lie to themselves

You missed out that you can get a train to Headingley, can't do that to LSV?

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

And also a decent crowd, easy access by public transport, some great pubs in the area, more than a hundred years of history, fantastic atmosphere.

I'm not sure why I would want 4 even regular stands. What's the attraction there?

Exactly, I'm a part time arsenal fan and its like comparing the Emirates with Old Trafford. Emirates is a bit soulless by comparison. Its also interesting to see that Spurs have gone with an asymmetrical stadium too. 

Atmosphere is important and different parts of the ground having their own character is a great thing.

3 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

What I find fascinating (as an Aussie) is how cheap all the new RL stadiums are in the UK. 

Saints cost £25m, Headingley £40m, Salford £26m, Leigh £17.5m, Cas £15m

Contrast that to the new Townsville stadium £170m, Parramatta £170m, Melbourne £152m, Gold Coast £91m and new Sydney Football Stadium a whopping £415m!

how is it so much cheaper to build stadiums in the UK?

We had Aussie builders for Wembley and it ended up about four times the initial quote by the time it was finished.

rldfsignature.jpg

All in all I am pleased with how Headingley is starting to look and I'm sure when it's all finished I.E the interior will be very interesting images of the clubs history .However I still think why develop over 75% of the ground to finish up with a reduced capacity ? And I do accept the reasons why 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

In Leeds case they can do both. The fact is that the situation Leeds are in means there isn't going to be some huge increase in fans numbers attending regularly. 

There is a question of what Leeds would do if the game took off and there were people knocking at the door of a full house but that kind of comes under the banner of good problems to have at the moment and if we were then a few games at elland road would be the answer (and should be for some to try and reach new fans anyway) but the maths isn't anywhere close to stacking up for Leeds moving which is really the only solution if they want a significant increase in capacity.

One thing to note is that the commercial/hospitality is greatly increase. Plus at higher pricing than previous.

The Commercial and Hospitality is Leeds primary revenue, so the increase will be very beneficial, assuming they sell the extra hospitality capacity.

On 12/19/2018 at 5:03 PM, fieldofclothofgold said:

All in all I am pleased with how Headingley is starting to look and I'm sure when it's all finished I.E the interior will be very interesting images of the clubs history .However I still think why develop over 75% of the ground to finish up with a reduced capacity ? And I do accept the reasons why 

What is the official capacity? I’ve seen 19K, 20k and 21K which is it? Anything under 20k would be disappointing 

2 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

What is the official capacity? I’ve seen 19K, 20k and 21K which is it? Anything under 20k would be disappointing 

I think it's just short of 20 K 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 12/18/2018 at 10:36 AM, deluded pom? said:

One out of two isn't a good strike rate. Hull City don't own the KCom. They think they do but they don't. They are tenants just like Hull FC.

That’s the same at Wigan isn’t it owned by a stadium company. 

On 12/19/2018 at 11:09 AM, goldcoaster said:

What I find fascinating (as an Aussie) is how cheap all the new RL stadiums are in the UK. 

Saints cost £25m, Headingley £40m, Salford £26m, Leigh £17.5m, Cas £15m

Contrast that to the new Townsville stadium £170m, Parramatta £170m, Melbourne £152m, Gold Coast £91m and new Sydney Football Stadium a whopping £415m!

how is it so much cheaper to build stadiums in the UK?

Just watched the ITV news and I see dodgy Aussie builders have been at it again after a high rise block in Olympic Park was evacuated after cracking noises were heard coming from the building. Aussies are to building what Kim Jong Un is to democracy.

rldfsignature.jpg

Looking at those pictures is the North Stand still going to be classed as the 'best' stand? For the lack of elevation and exposure to the elements due to the roofline I'd be unhappy if you were charged a premium price to sit there, ok the facilities ajoining it may be plusher but the South Stand seating looks a better option, apart from the bl**dy band in front of you, that could be why you have to pay more to sit away from them!

Archived