Did the Bolton double header bring the magic back into the cup?

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer: we mudt not get cartied away. might not be as popular next season.

No one need miss out, in any case, as it was on free to air tv. Grounc full? Watch it on Tv for nothing. Isn't that what we've always wanted. 10, 000 more in the stadium, or 100,000 more watching on TV. Well, both, obviously, but getting 100,000 more viewers might be more valuable than 10,000 on the gate.

Definitely not, that’s why it needs time to be in place to potentially build a reputation, rather than binning it off after a couple of years like most Rugby League inceptions. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

I'd rather get it properly established as an event in areas where semi finalists are likely to come from first. 

Just over a hundred miles from central Lancs and West Yorks makes it fair for both sets of supporters. About a 100 miles from London too.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

40 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Just over a hundred miles from central Lancs and West Yorks makes it fair for both sets of supporters. About a 100 miles from London too.

As a southerner, I should probably support this as it might make it easier to attend. (although my trip to the 4 nations double header wasn't the smoothest) 

But I'm not sure the risk of changing the location to an expansion area is worth it for roughly the same size venue. To the TV viewer, Ricoh will look the same at Bolton. 

Until we're ready to move it to Anfield or Ethihad, let's keep it at Bolton and get that venue/event link established in the public consciousness. And if the venue size means it sells out quick, great! The more fans race for tickets, the more it becomes must-watch TV. 

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

As a southerner, I should probably support this as it might make it easier to attend. (although my trip to the 4 nations double header wasn't the smoothest) 

But I'm not sure the risk of changing the location to an expansion area is worth it for roughly the same size venue. To the TV viewer, Ricoh will look the same at Bolton. 

Until we're ready to move it to Anfield or Ethihad, let's keep it at Bolton and get that venue/event link established in the public consciousness. And if the venue size means it sells out quick, great! The more fans race for tickets, the more it becomes must-watch TV. 

Sat in a seat at Anfield for four hours plus is the stuff of nightmares. 

rldfsignature.jpg

Enjoyed the occasion on Sunday maybe due to the results :)  For the losers semi finals are not a nice occasion in general.  I would keep it at Bolton for a few years,  If the occasion builds and there is demand then move to bigger stadium but please not Elland Road.

Now there were teething issues as already mentioned re the catering and traffic getting to the ground.  We left Warrington at 10.45 h and were stuck on the M61 till at least 12.15 and noticed many Saints fans stuck in the same queue, I am sure many wouldn't have made the KO. I would make the kick off a little later and have longer between the two games as Catalans celebrations were cut short by the Warrington and Leeds entering the field.

Now I don't drink in the ground but the catering was a fiasco, although we had been warned about the issues with the caterers and Bolton Wanderers.  Many fans spent over 30 minutes waiting in line during the game to be turned away as the pumps/gas was dry and food had sold out.  I personally pay to watch my team rather than have a beer and miss part of the game, oh well.

A good day for Wire and Cats fans and the neutrals I heard.  Well done to the Saints fans who stayed behind. 

Bramhall Lane next year for me

1. Capacity for 5000 more fans which we will definitely need if someone like Castleford or Wigan makes the Semis as opposed to Catalans

2. Close to the town centre and railway stations, very close to the M1, therefore easy to get to for everyone

3. They want a World Cup game, so lets see how they do at staging a big event

4. With some creative thinking it could be a boost for Sheffield Eagles - and they certainly need one!

5. It's in Yorkshire! Why should it be always in Bolton /Manchester/Liverpool as some seem to be proposing

36 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

1. Capacity for 5000 more fans which we will definitely need if someone like Castleford or Wigan makes the Semis as opposed to Catalans

2. Close to the town centre and railway stations, very close to the M1, therefore easy to get to for everyone

4. With some creative thinking it could be a boost for Sheffield Eagles - and they certainly need one!

5. It's in Yorkshire! Why should it be always in Bolton /Manchester/Liverpool as some seem to be proposing

I’d love to see it at Bramall Lane.  

It has excellent acoustics that make for a super atmosphere. A natural venue for rugby league semis, I’d have thought.

Bramall Lane is just under 4,000 seats bigger than Bolton. I reckon that would be enough if we had four relatively well supported sets of fans there next year. 

Bolton may be too small if we were to get Leeds, Wigan, Warrington and Saints in the Semi’s but an extra 4,000 seats approx at Bramall Lane would likely be enough. Plus it’s still relatively close to a “heartland” area. 

The ground is in Horwich not Bolton, Bolton play there.

Its akin to saying Leigh is in Wigan (though we all know it is ? )

I think it needs to stay there for a couple of seasons and get the idea of the double header established. Get the games to be sell-outs, hey presto a must be attended event, no need for cheap tickets. 

Problem is if you need to step up from Horwich, then were do you go that is modern, easily accessible for the vast majority and not too large that we get the perpetual whingers dragging it down.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 hours ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Thought the semis were a big success. Another change I would like to see is SL teams being made to play away from home if they draw a lower league club.

Good shout

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

5 hours ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Thought the semis were a big success. Another change I would like to see is SL teams being made to play away from home if they draw a lower league club.

Why? Surely it’s more financially beneficial for any lower league club (if any make it this far anymore) to be drawn away at a Super League club? 

12 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

well that plans up the swanny before it even gets started then... couldnt even get a trestle table of merchandise out on a game day when I've been with the boy!

12 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Bramall Lane is just under 4,000 seats bigger than Bolton. I reckon that would be enough if we had four relatively well supported sets of fans there next year. 

Bolton may be too small if we were to get Leeds, Wigan, Warrington and Saints in the Semi’s but an extra 4,000 seats approx at Bramall Lane would likely be enough. Plus it’s still relatively close to a “heartland” area. 

easily accessible.. car park to one side that would be big enough to have a bit of a fan zone... pretty sure you could get the city to buy into it too so there could be stuff at the train station as some good outside space at the front which is the route you would take walking to he stadium.. think it would work well. 

Understand the idea of getting it established but equally i dont see it as a one place event as such, people are used to the semis moving around grounds so I dont think it will disrupt people that much and the changing venue may actually be quite good for the neutral as they are not always going to the same place. For Finals a single repeat venue is the norm and Magic weekend needs a stadium prepared to have a full weekend of matches and a city/infrastructure able to take it so that limits places and so a less frequent move is understandable. No issue with every year going to a different semi venue, maybe on a rota if there is a limited number of places happy to do it.

6 hours ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

I really don't like this idea that a few have proposed to rig the draw to try and make it more likely that Superleague teams gets knocked out early. 

I know for committed fans the idea of, say, Batley going on a fairytale run would be a change from the norm that we'd be excited by. But to the much bigger number of casual sports fans for whom watching CC on the BBC is probably the only rugby league they watch all year, then we need to showcase our best. 

Even though the games weren't close, the semis still showed the skills and excitement that SL can offer, especially the first game. Look at the social media reaction. Runaway league leader being blown off the park by team of highly skilled players - from France no less - hitting the perfect game just at the right time. People way beyond the usual have picked up on that and the BBC have been happy to run with that. 

Contrary to popular belief, broadcasters are willing to run with rugby league, providing we put our best on show and provide some compelling sporting stories. The semis did that in droves, let's not willingly undermine that, especially when we often complain we don't get enough opportunities to showcase our best to a wider audience. 

7 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I really don't like this idea that a few have proposed to rig the draw to try and make it more likely that Superleague teams gets knocked out early. 

I know for committed fans the idea of, say, Batley going on a fairytale run would be a change from the norm that we'd be excited by. But to the much bigger number of casual sports fans for whom watching CC on the BBC is probably the only rugby league they watch all year, then we need to showcase our best. 

Even though the games weren't close, the semis still showed the skills and excitement that SL can offer, especially the first game. Look at the social media reaction. Runaway league leader being blown off the park by team of highly skilled players - from France no less - hitting the perfect game just at the right time. People way beyond the usual have picked up on that and the BBC have been happy to run with that. 

Contrary to popular belief, broadcasters are willing to run with rugby league, providing we put our best on show and provide some compelling sporting stories. The semis did that in droves, let's not willingly undermine that, especially when we often complain we don't get enough opportunities to showcase our best to a wider audience. 

I doubt there'd be anything other than a minimum of three SL teams in the semis. Even if a lower league team do make the semis isn't that the fairy tale element that makes/made the FA Cup so appealing?

rldfsignature.jpg

16 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Definitely not, that’s why it needs time to be in place to potentially build a reputation, rather than binning it off after a couple of years like most Rugby League inceptions. 

The pitch is too short and in goal area is too narrow.

Everything else is irrelevant.  Lets not pretend it makes it suitable. Semi finals, a blue ribbon occasion, should have a suitable venue. 

This is made more sad because the pitch looked lovely and well laid out, but the so called 10m lines were made to look even more crass. 

If the full sized pitch is to be 100m then it should be properly  agreed to and set out as such. Otherwise ignore metric and call it 100yards, although in passing my (aged and feeble) memory is that a full pitch was meant to be 110yards. But anyway in any event a major final and a semi should have a good sized touch in goal... minimum 10 yards (9m)

6 hours ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

Utter rubbish. Sorry to put it that way.

Also... Top teams should  come in and play in the round of 32.

What is the point of a cup if it is to be rigged??  It is a cup, live with it.

FWIW... if the CC is to be in August then super league (if 12) teams plus the top 4 Championship should start the season with a League Cup for under 24s with limited over age players. A preview to the full season.  But then again, I would not play as many games in a season. But it might suit the BBC.

9 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Utter rubbish. Sorry to put it that way.

Also... Top teams should  come in and play in the round of 32.

What is the point of a cup if it is to be rigged??  It is a cup, live with it.

FWIW... if the CC is to be in August then super league (if 12) teams plus the top 4 Championship should start the season with a League Cup for under 24s with limited over age players. A preview to the full season.  But then again, I would not play as many games in a season. But it might suit the BBC.

You could argue that all seeding is therefore 'rigged'.

And we do have situations where certain teams have had to play away (TWP, Russian teams IIRC)

21 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

My other concern with Bolton is that we managed to sell it out with only 3 teams really taking fans. If Wigan for example had made it instead of Catalan, there would have been a lot of fans missing out. While I agree with building it up, I would rather have 35k in Etihad with certain areas closed than 26k in Bolton and 9k sat at home. That gives us scope to truly push it, whereas if we're already selling it out we have nowhere to go and no incentive to market it properly. 

If Bolton could not manage the fixture and facilities, then throw them out. If the Etihad has a proper sized pitch, then offer it to them. Fill the lower tiers first.

It is only a tennant for City.  Let the RL officially pay to be a second tennant or something and make it the official RL Stadium. 

Who gets the stadium sponsorship?

PS ... I've just noticed that a tennant is a BBC Dr Who actor and not someone who pays rent!! 

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

And we do have situations where certain teams have had to play away (TWP, Russian teams IIRC)

It not rigged. This is a sport, players do not carry weights, handicaps, like race horses, to suit the bookies.  The FA cup is not 'rigged'. Professional clubs enter at a suitable level. Pretending to call it rigged is a bit facile.

The so called League Cup as I suggest is a top tier organised event to open the season with. Would be by invitation and the draw would not be 'rigged', it a draw, it's a Cup.  A TWP superleague team should be part of an open draw in the Cup. 

As for Russian football teams, well given various trade and political embargoes and sports fixes (never mind poisonings) they should not be in any international competitions at all.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The French teams also had to play away unless they progressed to a certain round of the competition.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

It not rigged. This is a sport, players do not carry weights, handicaps, like race horses, to suit the bookies.  The FA cup is not 'rigged'. Professional clubs enter at a suitable level. Pretending to call it rigged is a bit facile.

The so called League Cup as I suggest is a top tier organised event to open the season with. Would be by invitation and the draw would not be 'rigged', it a draw, it's a Cup.  A TWP superleague team should be part of an open draw in the Cup. 

As for Russian football teams, well given various trade and political embargoes and sports fixes (never mind poisonings) they should not be in any international competitions at all.

But you are accepting of some manipulation but not other examples. None of it is rigged.

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

But you are accepting of some manipulation but not other examples. None of it is rigged.

Forcing a team to play away is rigged. In the same way that Federer would be rigged if he was forced to use a smaller racquet.

Archived