Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
roughyed34

Hemel Stags.....

Recommended Posts

Have withdrawn from the League 1 for next season making it an 11 team division. Sad news for a club that has always been very welcoming to us, hope they can rebuild and go back to basics with locals etc, shipping players in from Sheffield obviously hasn't worked at all.

One less away trip but also the loss of a home fixture, another bad news story for expansion RL yet the RFL keep telling us expansion works. Tell that to Scarborough,Mansfield,Nottingham,Oxford,Gloucestershire, Cardiff,Kent/Southend Invicta etc, the only relatively successful expansion has been Newcastle and Coventry.

They insist they want the game to spread but it simply does not work, the track record of "expansion" sides in the lower echelons prove it.

 

 

Edited by roughyed34
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, roughyed34 said:

Have withdrawn from the League 1 for next season making it an 11 team division. Sad news for a club that has always been very welcoming to us, hope they can rebuild and go back to basics with locals etc, shipping players in from Sheffield obviously hasn't worked at all.

 

 

 

A sign of the times unfortunately. Sad for the team and bad news for League 1 and RL in general ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad day, I remember Trafford Borough going bump and then Blackpool Gladiators followed later by the new Blackpool club 

 

No winners, West Wales might be next then a 10 Team league 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not good. Bad news on expanding the game. Feel for the player's past and present that have tried to make an impact on the club. Also the club's staff who I assume work very hard to make a go of it in rugby League. Hope they can regroup and come back stronger.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hemel Hempstead began in the early 1980s and were one of the first clubs which the RL targeted as a prospective new area in which to develop the game. However, instead of concentrating their efforts on one such club and giving it the chance to steadily grow, the RFL seem to have since taken the view that quantity is better than quality, thus having invited more and more teams from outside the traditional areas of the game. By now Hemel might well have become a decent side but the fact is that there are now too many mediocre "development area" clubs in the league and that even any half-decent players are too thinly spread between them and for whom it isn't worth their while travelling outside of their local area to play for anyone else.

If Hemel had been allowed to develop on their own and able to attract players from a good distance around their area then at least we might have had one reasonable side instead of half a dozen or more teams who are no better than many amateur clubs but who the RFL have there purely to say the game is expanding ... it isn't !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Hemel Hempstead began in the early 1980s and were one of the first clubs which the RL targeted as a prospective new area in which to develop the game. However, instead of concentrating their efforts on one such club and giving it the chance to steadily grow, the RFL seem to have since taken the view that quantity is better than quality, thus having invited more and more teams from outside the traditional areas of the game. By now Hemel might well have become a decent side but the fact is that there are now too many mediocre "development area" clubs in the league and that even any half-decent players are too thinly spread between them and for whom it isn't worth their while travelling outside of their local area to play for anyone else.

If Hemel had been allowed to develop on their own and able to attract players from a good distance around their area then at least we might have had one reasonable side instead of half a dozen or more teams who are no better than many amateur clubs but who the RFL have there purely to say the game is expanding ... it isn't !

In a nutshell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

One less away trip but also the loss of a home fixture, another bad news story for expansion RL yet the RFL keep telling us expansion works. Tell that to Scarborough,Mansfield,Nottingham,Oxford,Gloucestershire, Cardiff,Kent/Southend Invicta etc, the only relatively successful expansion has been Newcastle and Coventry.

How many M62 clubs have failed too?  One called Oldham if I recall...


With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

How many M62 clubs have failed too?  One called Oldham if I recall...

Bradford Bulls, Bramley Carlisle Prescot Panthers and Huyton 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

How many M62 clubs have failed too?  One called Oldham if I recall...

Didn't say anything about heartland clubs failing, merely pointing out that expansion outside those heartlands has in the majority failed. You cannot deny that. I get you are pro expansion but it's a fact it simply does not work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll never understand why the RFL didn't concentrate on a riple effect, ie Newcastle , Sunderland, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham etc, so that no club was isolated, yet still have the support areas.

Well, actually I do, no one had the balls to stand up to Sky, adn acquiesced for their money.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Little no it all said:

What have we heard from Oldham rugby on this matter 

What the heck has Oldham got to do with Hemel withdrawing? 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whitworth Yed said:

Surprised Manchester Rangers haven't taken up the spot or a similar established club.

Unfortunately, ideal club as they would be, they are not far enough away from the heartlands... ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SINGE said:

Unfortunately, ideal club as they would be, they are not far enough away from the heartlands... ?

 

15 hours ago, Whitworth Yed said:

Surprised Manchester Rangers haven't taken up the spot or a similar established club.

It would be like asking Mossley to join in The Premiership thats Why,  they are in  NW Mens League Div 2 below Oldham St Annes "A".........mmmmm great Idea ha ha ha ha ha

  • Like 2

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Manchester team to join the RFL ???

Now where have I hear that before ?  Oh, yes, Maurice Lindsay's brainwave of merging teams together (ie Oldham and Salford)

Of course neither club wanted it but I'll wager that if it had happened then "Manchester RLFC" would now be in Super League - even though attendances would be low.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...