Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marklaspalmas

2.2m people paid for live Rugby League matches in 2018

Recommended Posts

Some good points on here about the RFL using these stats for leverage with media , sponsors and broadcasters.

Plus the value of internationals as if that wasn't obvious enough already.

It shows just know loyal club RL fans are. 

And how soccer dwarfs all else in UK sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite right marklaspalmas, football is the juggernaut that is hard to match for any other sport.  The figures are quite interesting, Rugby League and Cricket are almost equal and there are only 3 sports selling more tickets than those 2 in the UK.  The figures don't really fit with the view that RL is not a national sport or that it is a minor sport.

It also doesn't fit with the idea that attendances are declining in recent seasons.  SL has gone down slightly but it is more than made up by the increase in the lower leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pahars said:

Cricket has their World Cup and an Ashes next year while we have no international fixtures. RL will probably be a million behind in 2019. 

In 2020 the hundred will launch and probably be at least an initial success. 2021 could be very interesting though. 

We have ours in 2021 we have an ashes in 2020 too, the hundred might be a success but even if it is, we can't control what cricket do or how successful they are. If they move on, so do our aims. If we add 300k and they add 500k, we have another 500k to add. But we are sill further on. If we can go to market with 2.5m spectators in 2021 we are in a good position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget cricket are hoping to come back very strong with this new fandangled hundred ball league with all games live and 1 per round live on BBC, a bit like Australia Big Bash League. 

Yes, I would reckon our Club Game is as strong as Yawnions, cos they'll have Welsh, Scots and England Internationals making up their numbers compares to just 3 NZ Games and a France Game on home turf for League. + 7 Pro 14 UK clubs on top of Yawnion Premiership Clubs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, parklandswolf said:

Cant get my head round why the Beeb give tennis so much prominence as it is quite a way behind the rest, maybe its due to participation numbers.

I can't believe they sell nearly a million tickets! How many ticketed tennis events even are there in this country? 

Apparently Wimbledon will do nearly 500k a year. The end of year indoor London event will do well, then there's the Stella Artois tournament before Wimbledon and a ladies equivalent. Other than that, I think Nottingham has a pro tour event and that's that

I suppose it's more a tv show than something you could feasibly support week in week out, much like golf. Where is golf? Apart from the Open I'm sure there are several pro events in the UK which must last 4 days each. Surprised tennis is beating golf, but I suppose Wimbledon is 14 days after all

Good data, nice find OP ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully, the powers that be in RL (yeah, I don't know who they are either) will take notice of this.

It shouts out loud that the demand for live sport is there and is increasing.

Where we fail, as has been said elsewhere, is in accessing the millennials market.

It's clear what they want. Big events and good facilities*, preferably international. 

*apologies to your irony meters, new ones are available on ebay.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Almost certainly. It's 25m for just the Premier League and Championship excluding every other league and all the internationals.

Total in England for all four pro leagues and cups is 36.2m. Throw in Scotland and it nudges 40m. 

So European games, internationals, club friendlies, and I guess other lower league games account for another 10m? Bit dubious but it’s possible. Either way it’s comfortably over 43m. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Yes, I would reckon our Club Game is as strong as yawnions

Wanting something and it actually being true aren't the same thing.

1,074,534 watched SL games in England in 2018....... The number for the ruggah premiership was 1,912,301, so somewhat less than as strong as their club game in England alone. England RU saw 489,732 over 6 games... We got 81,216 to 4 games..... That's less than they averaged. 

Make no mistake. 2.2 million paying fans is brilliant for RL, but our club game is 850,000+ behind union and given 23 years ago we were streets ahead of them, I'd temper the delight with a realisation that we must try harder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chris22 said:

I'd like to have seen the RFL acknowledge this. A statement along the lines of thanking everyone who has attended a game in the UK this year and how we aim to move higher up the list and increasing the figure in years to come.

It's a good news story and we should be publicising it.

RL coming behind "other" is good news????  That's much too embarrassing to publicize!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gorbals said:

I can't believe they sell nearly a million tickets! How many ticketed tennis events even are there in this country? 

Apparently Wimbledon will do nearly 500k a year. The end of year indoor London event will do well, then there's the Stella Artois tournament before Wimbledon and a ladies equivalent. Other than that, I think Nottingham has a pro tour event and that's that

I suppose it's more a tv show than something you could feasibly support week in week out, much like golf. Where is golf? Apart from the Open I'm sure there are several pro events in the UK which must last 4 days each. Surprised tennis is beating golf, but I suppose Wimbledon is 14 days after all

Good data, nice find OP ?

There's Edgbaston , Eastbourne and the Davis Cup. Plus a number of lower ranking events. The O2 event is 8 days, sold out at about 20000 per day. With Wimbledon at 470000 that total seems a bit high.

On the subject of football, Chesterfield are languishing near the bottom of the 5th tier of the structure and last night attracted 3500, which some SL clubs would be happy with.


"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were never 'streets ahead' of Union, ever.

Even in the days before pro RU, it was more widely played and the internationals got huge crowds and coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tim2 said:

 On the subject of football, Chesterfield are languishing near the bottom of the 5th tier of the structure and last night attracted 3500, which some SL clubs would be happy with.

I know what you are getting at but I don't think any SL club would be 'happy' with that crowd. There's literally no point comparing anything about football, except perhaps the dedication of a lot of their fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I know what you are getting at but I don't think any SL club would be 'happy' with that crowd. There's literally no point comparing anything about football, except perhaps the dedication of a lot of their fans.

OK, one Super League club.

Let's see what London manage next year if they have a night fixture when it's lashing down with rain.


"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tim2 said:

OK, one Super League club.

Let's see what London manage next year if they have a night fixture when it's lashing down with rain.

Well, yeah. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 20 years ago I recall Open Rugby as it was then, publishing  combined attendances for SL and the union equivalent.

From memory 8 of the top 10 were league clubs with only Leicester and 1 other from union.I haven't checked but I would imagine those numbers are now reversed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Did nearly 50m go to football? There must be official records and to me the numbers seem way to high.  And we have not finished 2018 anyway.

People pay to watch semi pro soccer, how they define 'professional' is not mentioned, professional as in paid or it is your sole/main income, that varies even in so called 'amateur' soccer, the figure doesn't surprise me tbh.

The figure for RU is massively enhanced by the internationals, they play the autumn games, then the 6 nations, 10 matches would add at least 500,000 speccies

Edited by Denton Rovers RLFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SteelersWheeler said:

Wanting something and it actually being true aren't the same thing.

1,074,534 watched SL games in England in 2018....... The number for the ruggah premiership was 1,912,301, so somewhat less than as strong as their club game in England alone. England RU saw 489,732 over 6 games... We got 81,216 to 4 games..... That's less than they averaged. 

Make no mistake. 2.2 million paying fans is brilliant for RL, but our club game is 850,000+ behind union and given 23 years ago we were streets ahead of them, I'd temper the delight with a realisation that we must try harder. 

How many times are they counting the Wembley and Twickenham games in that 1.9 mill haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

People pay to watch semi pro soccer, how they define 'professional' is not mentioned, professional as in paid or it is your sole/main income, that varies even in so called 'amateur' soccer, the figure doesn't surprise me tbh.

The figure for RU is massively enhanced by the internationals, they play the autumn games, then the 6 nations, 10 matches would add at least 500,000 speccies

In the UK there are 3 countries hosting 12 Autumn internationals plus 8 6 Nations games plus occasional summer fixtures. That's about 20 internationals which is a million people.

The Premiership attendance total was about 1.8 million. It drops off dramatically in the second tier to 80000.


"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

People pay to watch semi pro soccer, how they define 'professional' is not mentioned, professional as in paid or it is your sole/main income, that varies even in so called 'amateur' soccer, the figure doesn't surprise me tbh.

The figure for RU is massively enhanced by the internationals, they play the autumn games, then the 6 nations, 10 matches would add at least 500,000 speccies

Even allowing for RU internationals the 5m figure looks way off and to me the 50m for football looks off as well.  But a place that details the figures would be nice.

But clearly RU is heavily weighted for international football.   As for limited over cricket, it's a joke. Good luck to anybody who watches it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you've gotta remember about the union attendances of course is that club averages (and thus league in general) are heavily skewed by these games they keep having at Twickenham where suddenly 50,000 extra fans crawl out of their wine clubs. If you're getting an average of, say 10,000 for 10 games and then suddenly have 1 attendance of 60,000 that is an average over 11 games of 14,545 which isnt really a fair representation of actual hardcore support. I'd like to see some averages without those games added. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

What you've gotta remember about the union attendances of course is that club averages (and thus league in general) are heavily skewed by these games they keep having at Twickenham where suddenly 50,000 extra fans crawl out of their wine clubs. If you're getting an average of, say 10,000 for 10 games and then suddenly have 1 attendance of 60,000 that is an average over 11 games of 14,545 which isnt really a fair representation of actual hardcore support. I'd like to see some averages without those games added. 

So you essentially punish a club for having an event game? What does that say about Leeds playing at Elland Road this year? This year alone it would drop their average by 1,530.

Huddersfield, Wakefield, Widnes and Salford all had lower gates in 2018 than sale sharks lowest gate in 2017/18....and sale average more than those 4 sides. 

Back to event games. Saracens had a 5k average at Watford when they started the Wembley thing....... They bought into their own stadium and kept throwing cash at Wembley...... Now they get 9,250 at Allianz......wasps were dying in Wycombe and are now close to 20k in Coventry..... But in RL you can't count event games and you can't move more than 50 yards down the road...... No. Wonder they've overtaken us in many aspects of professionalism. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Chris22 said:

It's a good news story and we should be publicising it.

Yes it is.

But I have to ask how did it get on here then?

 


“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SteelersWheeler said:

So you essentially punish a club for having an event game? What does that say about Leeds playing at Elland Road this year? This year alone it would drop their average by 1,530.

Huddersfield, Wakefield, Widnes and Salford all had lower gates in 2018 than sale sharks lowest gate in 2017/18....and sale average more than those 4 sides. 

Back to event games. Saracens had a 5k average at Watford when they started the Wembley thing....... They bought into their own stadium and kept throwing cash at Wembley...... Now they get 9,250 at Allianz......wasps were dying in Wycombe and are now close to 20k in Coventry..... But in RL you can't count event games and you can't move more than 50 yards down the road...... No. Wonder they've overtaken us in many aspects of professionalism. 

Alright we could add 40k and 25k to every home team at Magic. It would bump SL attendances up by 250k and and for example Cas would have an average attendance of roughly 10,500 as opposed to 8,800 and Salford would have an average of 5700 instead of 2700.

 

 

Edited by Mattrhino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Alright we could add 40k and 25k to every home team at Magic. It would bump SL attendances up by 250k and and for example Cas would have an average attendance of roughly 10,500 as opposed to 8,800

That's a completely different kettle of fish though, if one ticket gives access to multiple matches then total attendance divided by no. of games should be used, but if a team takes a match to another stadium, then the full amount should be counted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SteelersWheeler said:

So you essentially punish a club for having an event game? What does that say about Leeds playing at Elland Road this year? This year alone it would drop their average by 1,530.

Huddersfield, Wakefield, Widnes and Salford all had lower gates in 2018 than sale sharks lowest gate in 2017/18....and sale average more than those 4 sides. 

Back to event games. Saracens had a 5k average at Watford when they started the Wembley thing....... They bought into their own stadium and kept throwing cash at Wembley...... Now they get 9,250 at Allianz......wasps were dying in Wycombe and are now close to 20k in Coventry..... But in RL you can't count event games and you can't move more than 50 yards down the road...... No. Wonder they've overtaken us in many aspects of professionalism. 

I didn't say don't count the event games. I said they don't give a fair reflection of average home attendances. Well done to the union teams in coming up with a way to get higher attendances but when you have 1 60,000 attendance and 10 10,000 attendances it means you have an average of 14,500 or so. Yes that is the official, correct average, yes they were all official home games, I'm not saying that isn't the case, I'm saying the 10,000 that said team gets 90% of the time is a better reflection of the teams core support. I'm talking about fans that go week in week out not the fans of twickers crowd because the point I made further back in the discussion was that I believe league, despite a smaller fan base, has a much more loyal fan base than union or cricket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...