Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Chamey

Toronto and Toulouse kicked out of Challenge Cup 2019

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Seems the games been around for a little longer.  Not sure who the 1st team were, maybe Padge will confirm.

“1865 – Hull Rugby League Football Club were founded by a group of schoolboys from York, including Anthony Bradley who was a former pupil of Rugby School whilst Reverend Scott and his sons made up the nucleus of the team.”

What sport did they play? Was it rugby league? Were they called “Hull Rugby League Football Club”?

I was wondering when someone was going to try to claim RL predates 1895.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

You’ll find it’s the flatcaps doing the damage. The towns are incidental.

It’s very unlikely to be the actual flatcaps that are doing the damage. They generally just protect against the rain and keep ones head warm. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It’s very unlikely to be the actual flatcaps that are doing the damage. They generally just protect against the rain and keep ones head warm. 

Jeez. They mustn’t learn about colloquial language over there either. In fact it’s probably an example of metonymy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Jeez. They mustn’t learn about colloquial language over there either. In fact it’s probably an example of metonymy.

All I'm hearing at the moment is colonial language ? :ninja: It is a joke!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Damien said:

Apart from this forum obviously ?

Yes it’s quite difficult to walk away totally it’s been a big part of my life for 35 years of following every level of the game, I’ve been a player , fan , one man marketing team, a referee, a coach , took Rugby League into Montenegro, played a game in Bosnia , a member of Red Star Belgrade RL team; so yes it’s hard to turn off all the taps on the biggest passion of my life.

RL in my opinion is heading down a very bleak road and I have tried my bit along the way to help, I wish I could have done more but in my heart I know I did more than most!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Yes it’s quite difficult to walk away totally it’s been a big part of my life for 35 years of following every level of the game, I’ve been a player , fan , one man marketing team, a referee, a coach , took Rugby League into Montenegro, played a game in Bosnia , a member of Red Star Belgrade RL team; so yes it’s hard to turn off all the taps on the biggest passion of my life.

RL in my opinion is heading down a very bleak road and I have tried my bit along the way to help, I wish I could have done more but in my heart I know I did more than most!

 

Sorry it was just a joke, couldn't help myself. Trust me I am every bit as despondent as you at the moment and just hope that there is the major change at the RFL that we need. Also it is essential that Elstone transforms Super League for the better, and certainly into something more befitting of the name, and has a few more ideas than just copying rule changes from the NRL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Damien said:

Sorry it was just a joke, couldn't help myself. Trust me I am every bit as despondent as you at the moment and just hope that there is the major change at the RFL that we need. Also it is essential that Elstone transforms Super League for the better, and certainly into something more befitting of the name, and has a few more ideas than just copying rule changes from the NRL.

No problem it was another guy who said people like me were killing the game, it’s what I expect on here; I sincerely hope Elstone drives the game forward but my time is done with RL and I need to find a new passion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Yes it’s quite difficult to walk away totally it’s been a big part of my life for 35 years of following every level of the game, I’ve been a player , fan , one man marketing team, a referee, a coach , took Rugby League into Montenegro, played a game in Bosnia , a member of Red Star Belgrade RL team; so yes it’s hard to turn off all the taps on the biggest passion of my life.

RL in my opinion is heading down a very bleak road and I have tried my bit along the way to help, I wish I could have done more but in my heart I know I did more than most!

 

The game itself is still there Ian. You don’t have to give up on the sport as a whole.

  • Like 1

rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

The game itself is still there Ian. You don’t have to give up on the sport as a whole.

I suppose I’m an all or nothing type of person, I always wanted to be there driving the game on and watching players of all levels play the game.I went to watch Serbia v Spain a few weeks ago to see if it could spark my interest back to life ! But to be honest I felt nothing 

I think meeting Nigel Wood a couple of years ago to discuss RL matters was the big turning point for me; to hear first hand and witness the small time thinking shocked me to the core

Edited by iangidds
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The issue here Harry is that they are discriminating particularly against Toronto, when I would wager that they would attract more to a final than several other established clubs. It’s blatant discrimination and I don’t blame Toronto for telling them to shove it. It’s a massive own goal by RFL as I’m sure they didn’t expect this consequence, hence the late call to Woolston to see if they wanted to participate in the first round.

If the RFL wanted to mitigate against a lower than expected crowd, they could’ve gone about it in a number of different ways. How they have does not solve the issue, which may still arise with some of the existing clubs in the comp. They should really be looking at why the attendances are declining in general and look to address

I think you just about sum things up correctly Double D, although I think much of Harry's points about the financial reality of the RFL still stand. 

Singling out Toronto and Toulouse is clearly a disaster on the strategic and PR fronts, given that a final between, say, Salford and Hudds would also be financially challenging. 

But really, this PR mess just reflects the underlying reality of the CC as a competition and the RFL as an organisation. Now that the SL is operationally independent, the RFL simply can't afford to take ANY financial risks lest it impact on its ability to fulfil its remaining functions. 

Hard as it is to say, the CC just doesn't hold the place on the game that it used to and, as much as we can demand the RFL do better to "promote" it, sometimes you have to take an honest look at a situation and face the truth. There's lots of reasons that the CCF isn't what it was, not all to do with the RFL, and indeed not all in fact negative (the rival successes of the GF and Magic are a GOOD THING) 

Like most on here, I grew up watching Wembley CCFs and their place in the history of the game is legendary. 

But on reflection, I think the recent decision of the RFL to sign a long term deal for Wembley - the most expensive stadium in the country - was a massive mistake for a competition that just doesn't warrant it anymore, and inevitably leads to the sort of perverse decisions we've seen this week. 

As I've written elsewhere, I'm a southerner and I go to the CCF every year as it's the easiest way to see top class RL close (ish) to home. I love it, especially the tradition. 

But if the tradeoff for moving the CCF up north was a guarenteed international in London every year, I think I'd take it. 

The outcry would be huge - and deservedly so as it would be a huge decision to make - but ultimately one that I think could be justified better than the awful one taken this week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The frustration with this is that its just another example that the RFL arent just not listening, they arent even asking the right questions.

The challenge cup is falling in value and prestige and visibility, it doesnt really have national relevance anymore and on the back of the first european winner rather than leverage that in to growing the competition the RFL have scurried back to the heartlands and battened down the hatches. Just as it always does.

Semi-final double header in bolton, 1895 cup, charging Toulouse and Toronto to play, none of these things even begin to address the problems the game/competition has in terms of its falling value, prestige or visibility. At least if the RFL were trying and failing we would at least be learning what didnt work. As it is we arent even trying.

Probably since the Magic weekend, there has not been a single new idea at the RFL that hasnt been simply an attempt to milk a fraction more money from the existing market. And even the Magic Weekend has become simply another attempt to milk the already committed fan.

The CC needs to change what it is and what it contributes to the game because at the moment it is on its knees and not even trying to get up

Bite the bullet and use SL to drive wider interest in the game. (And no, that doesn't mean the rest of the game isn't important, I'm just answering the question of what the CC of for, these days) 

Move the final up north, put all the SL teams in at the round of 32 and fold coverage into the main TV deal. If that means top teams use more reserves and, softly, alter their relationship with the competition, so be it. Other sports have seen the status of longstanding competitions alter too, but, for instance, the soccer league Cup finals and union Cup final are still big days at HQ, even if the run up rounds are less promoted. 

In return, make the new SL TV deal include 6 regular season games a year AND the grand final on terrestrial. 

In some ways its heartbreaking to have to write this, but we can't afford sentimental and wishful thinking decisions any more, I fear the clock really is ticking for British RL. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iangidds said:

I suppose I’m an all or nothing type of person, I always wanted to be there driving the game on and watching players of all levels play the game.I went to watch Serbia v Spain a few weeks ago to see if it could spark my interest back to life ! But to be honest I felt nothing 

I think meeting Nigel Wood a couple of years ago to discuss RL matters was the big turning point for me; to hear first hand and witness the small time thinking shocked me to the core

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a break, particularly if you’re an all or nothing person. You can invest that much time and energy that you become drained and disillusioned after a while and other parts of your life become neglected. 

Taking yourself away from it can help you regain perspective on life and what’s important to you. Hopefully you will be able to re-engage with the sport in future as it needs people like you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

You’ll find it’s the flatcaps doing the damage. The towns are incidental.

An unsurprisingly meaningless response from someone whose capacity for bile greatly exceeds any capacity for debate.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Why bother with little old England and its backward ways? You've got your Messiah, so why don't you just make your own league in Canada and show the world how amazing you all are at organisation and promotion.

Stand on your own four paws Pack.

Because you are our mother and we won't just abandon you in some dark old age home even though you are suffering from the Alzheimers and dementia (cue your post here) and want to be left alone to your own demise ....don't worry, we still love you mom..."WE ARE COMING TO SAVE YOU MOM!"

Signed,

The Pack!

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cerulean said:

An unsurprisingly meaningless response from someone whose capacity for bile greatly exceeds any capacity for debate.

And you’ve contributed what exactly? 

Sod all. 

And if you can’t find the meaning in that you might need to try harder. 

Edited by East Coast Tiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a TWP season ticket holder, attend and bring an entourage to every home game, along with other fans watch every "away" game at the 3B watering hole, spend significantly on team gear, attended magic 2018 to watch the WP play Toulouse and this coming year plan on going to the UK at least once to see the pack play. I hoped it would be a CC final but thats not to be so maybe it will be to see the pack clobber a SL team and advance to the SL for 2020. I love the traditional teams I remember from my childhood but know that expansion into new markets may well be the only way to save RL. Shame on anyone who would deny me and thousands of new fans the chance to see YCK, Bulldogs, Bulls and other storied old teams Live at Lamport and conversely the chance to see the Pack play at their grounds. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

I am a TWP season ticket holder, attend and bring an entourage to every home game, along with other fans watch every "away" game at the 3B watering hole, spend significantly on team gear, attended magic 2018 to watch the WP play Toulouse and this coming year plan on going to the UK at least once to see the pack play. I hoped it would be a CC final but thats not to be so maybe it will be to see the pack clobber a SL team and advance to the SL for 2020. I love the traditional teams I remember from my childhood but know that expansion into new markets may well be the only way to save RL. Shame on anyone who would deny me and thousands of new fans the chance to see YCK, Bulldogs, Bulls and other storied old teams Live at Lamport and conversely the chance to see the Pack play at their grounds. 

There are only a few thousand Championship and Championship 1 fans left, but ignore the few unpleasant ones,  let me tell you that the majority of them have enjoyed their involvement with Toronto, find this new venture interesting and exciting, have paid their money to watch Toronto’s visit, and will miss you when you move to Super League. There are unsurprisingly some doubts, some fans would like to see more Canadian-ness develop, a few are worried that you will take their own outside chance of  promotion, and some are jealous of the money you have to construct your squad. All reasonable thoughts, really. But mostly, we will see that you are the winners amongst us, and will have earned your promotion. And having been one of us for a while, we will celebrate your success against SL teams.

And yes, shame on those who want to deny you a place in the Challenge Cup. But please try and work out who they are, because it is nothing to do with Championship and Championship 1.

Unfortunately, in a years time, you will find that criticism from Super League fans will be vastly greater than anything you have experienced so far. You are going to find that it is Super League fans who are the real parochial, limited, introverted, reactionary, self-interested ones.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cerulean said:

 

 

1 hour ago, Cerulean said:

Unfortunately, in a years time, you will find that criticism from Super League fans will be vastly greater than anything you have experienced so far. You are going to find that it is Super League fans who are the real parochial, limited, introverted, reactionary, self-interested ones.

And that IMHO is why the CC is no longer the draw that it was, and the game as whole is in a dire situation. If it ain't Super League it must be faeces , see you seven other super league teams four times a year. 

Edited by Hemi4561

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cerulean said:

Unfortunately, in a years time, you will find that criticism from Super League fans will be vastly greater than anything you have experienced so far. You are going to find that it is Super League fans who are the real parochial, limited, introverted, reactionary, self-interested ones.

"And that IMHO is why the CC is no longer the draw that it was, and the game as whole is in a dire situation. If it ain't Super League it must be faeces , see you seven other super league teams four times a year"

Not that any of that has much to do with Toulouse and Toronto but In my opinion, that is just incorrect.  For example, way before the advent of SuperLeague, clubs that are now in the Championship  were in decline, with falling crowds, reducing income,  etc. Another example: I can never remember a time when Swinton were not short of money and not in some sort of crisis, with not enough money to properly and safely maintain Station Road. Mind you, I only go back to my first visit there in 1957.

Since then, much has changed. Many more people have their own transport, motorways and dual carriageways have drastically reduced travel times,  the housing regeneration of the 1960s and later, coupled with the previously mentioned factors means that many people no longer live within a stones-throw of the local ground, moving out of town centres to more  and actual have a choice of attractions, too.  People migrate to bigger and better clubs with bigger and better facilities, leaving clubs like Swinton to flounder. 

Then the CC. Yes, its appeal has faded in recent years, though with the BBC committed to it, it might start to recover.  But in my view, the game is tougher now and maybe there are just too many games.  At the top level, more is expected of players in the league competitions as rule changes make the game faster with fewer breaks in play. You don't see anywhere near as many players with the physique of Brendan Hill or Keiron Cunningham any more as players. The game just doesn't call for that anymore.


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

This thread has degenerated

This thread is mostly near-hysterical criticism of the RFL and its personnel, with, for some unaccountable reason, diversions to pour vitriol on the small mining towns of the north of England. Copying out sections of a washing machine repair manual would have lifted its tone.

But, apparently, if you are not criticising the favoured targets, your contributions are worthless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...