3 to watch in 2019

I think Matty Lees from Saints will develop into one of the games best props over the next few years so I’m predicting another big year for him.

From the under 18 age group, I hope Harry Newman gets a go at Leeds, he really is a great talent.

Of the unknown kids coming through, the one to watch out for is Lewis Carr from Cas Tigers, I haven’t seen a better balanced runner in the British game for years. I think he scored something like 38 tries in 21 games last season and scored 3 in a half game a couple of days ago.

Anyone else have some youngsters to watch out for ?

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

I don't know how many first team games they will get this year but from the Academy test series three outstanding prospects are Harry Smith (half back), Morgan Smithies (lock forward) from Wigan and Jack Welsby (full back) from St Helens.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 hours ago, Emosi Koloto said:

I think Matty Lees from Saints will develop into one of the games best props over the next few years so I’m predicting another big year for him.

From the under 18 age group, I hope Harry Newman gets a go at Leeds, he really is a great talent.

Of the unknown kids coming through, the one to watch out for is Lewis Carr from Cas Tigers, I haven’t seen a better balanced runner in the British game for years. I think he scored something like 38 tries in 21 games last season and scored 3 in a half game a couple of days ago.

Anyone else have some youngsters to watch out for ?

A lot depends on injuries as to how much youngsters get a chance to break through. 

I agree about Matty Lees, I think he’s got a lot of potential and I like his aggressive style of play but I hope it doesn’t take its toll on his body. 

I think Newman’s still got some way to go, a great potential but I don’t think he’ll be more than a fringe player this year, he’s still got quite a bit to learn.

Leeds future prospects look better than at any stage since McGuire, Burrow etc came through. They’re still in a bit of transition - this will be the last year of JJB and probably Ferres with Ablett having potentially 2. The likes of Trout, Dupree, Mustapha will seamlessly replace them with Holroyd and Oledski up front and Corey Johnson looks like he could make the grade at 9. 

I’m expecting a big year for Cameron Smith - I really think it will be make or break for him at the Rhinos this year. I’m also curious to see how Alex Sutcliffe will go after last year was ravaged by injury. The coaching staff think a lot of him. 

For Huddersfield, I think Jake Wardle will have a big year and would be a good shout for young player of the year. I expect Luis Johnson could also make an impact at Wire. Liam Paisley for Wigan and James Bentley and Jack Welsby for Saints. 

9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

A lot depends on injuries as to how much youngsters get a chance to break through. 

I agree about Matty Lees, I think he’s got a lot of potential and I like his aggressive style of play but I hope it doesn’t take its toll on his body. 

I think Newman’s still got some way to go, a great potential but I don’t think he’ll be more than a fringe player this year, he’s still got quite a bit to learn.

Leeds future prospects look better than at any stage since McGuire, Burrow etc came through. They’re still in a bit of transition - this will be the last year of JJB and probably Ferres with Ablett having potentially 2. The likes of Trout, Dupree, Mustapha will seamlessly replace them with Holroyd and Oledski up front and Corey Johnson looks like he could make the grade at 9. 

I’m expecting a big year for Cameron Smith - I really think it will be make or break for him at the Rhinos this year. I’m also curious to see how Alex Sutcliffe will go after last year was ravaged by injury. The coaching staff think a lot of him. 

For Huddersfield, I think Jake Wardle will have a big year and would be a good shout for young player of the year. I expect Liam Johnson could also make an impact at Wire. Liam Paisley for Wigan and James Bentley and Jack Welsby for Saints. 

Is that Luis or Liam Johnson?

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Mikolaj Oledski is looking like an absolute monster prop forward, I think he could have a big impact in 2019.

Tom Holroyd is also a great prospect as is Harry Newman, Jack Walker while already a regular first team player is only 19 too. 

Oledski is not new and he’s a million miles from a monster prop - he looks what he is, a boy.

Jack Walker is already showing the classic signs of a young player NOT kicking on.

Newman I know nothing of.

At Cas;

Trueman, obviously. 

Mitch Clark, at 25 still youngish for a prop and not established in SL but broke through last year, should kick on this year.  Powerful, aggresive and fearless.  Highest average gain of any forward except Daz Clark, Murdoch Massala and Peteru (who only made 20 odd carries).

Jacques O Neil is a decent prospect but more likely to play dual reg then get a 1st team chance next year.

Looking at our backline Callum Turner, Keiran Gill or Egodu could well end up getting a shot next year.  Turner certainly has ability although his attitude has been questions.  Egodu certainly has plenty of power and pace.

Lewis Carr and Robbie Storey could well make SL players at some point but are a few years of yet imo.  Hope to see them perform at dual reg this year.

2 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Oledski is not new and he’s a million miles from a monster prop - he looks what he is, a boy.

Jack Walker is already showing the classic signs of a young player NOT kicking on.

Well, you got one out of three right.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Yes Luis, sorry

No problem - Liam Johnson was in the Giants academy and last year was loaned to the Bulls.

Don't think he had his contract renewed and is now at the Rams.

11 hours ago, Gates1 said:

At Cas;

Trueman, obviously. 

Mitch Clark, at 25 still youngish for a prop and not established in SL but broke through last year, should kick on this year.  Powerful, aggresive and fearless.  Highest average gain of any forward except Daz Clark, Murdoch Massala and Peteru (who only made 20 odd carries).

Jacques O Neil is a decent prospect but more likely to play dual reg then get a 1st team chance next year.

Looking at our backline Callum Turner, Keiran Gill or Egodu could well end up getting a shot next year.  Turner certainly has ability although his attitude has been questions.  Egodu certainly has plenty of power and pace.

Lewis Carr and Robbie Storey could well make SL players at some point but are a few years of yet imo.  Hope to see them perform at dual reg this year.

Really like the look of Lewis Carr, lovely balanced runner and absolute try machine.

13 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

You would love this to be true, which says a lot about you. If they play for other teams, You'd rather young players be rubbish and have the comp full of plodders.

1 hour ago, rhinos78 said:

Really like the look of Lewis Carr, lovely balanced runner and absolute try machine.

Agree, bags of potential.  Quite a slight lad and will need to develop physically (I understand the club's conditioning staff are working on this pre-season).  Challenge will to increase his size while maintaining his balance/agility.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:37 PM, Gates1 said:

At Cas;

Trueman, obviously. 

Egodu is rubbish I think Cas should cut there losses and send him to Bradford full time............................

He was superb for us and against us (scored for Newcastle against us before joining us) last year. Ethan Ryan got some good ball from him in good space, that was league 1 but he was far and away head and shoulders above that. Joking aside a year on loan in the championship would do him the power of good I think if he is not getting a sniff in the first team. Cracking player

23 hours ago, thepimp007 said:

Egodu is rubbish I think Cas should cut there losses and send him to Bradford full time............................

He was superb for us and against us (scored for Newcastle against us before joining us) last year. Ethan Ryan got some good ball from him in good space, that was league 1 but he was far and away head and shoulders above that. Joking aside a year on loan in the championship would do him the power of good I think if he is not getting a sniff in the first team. Cracking player

I'd be very happy to see him loaned to you guys for the year, agree a solid year at a good level will do him good and give him a chance of earning a SL shot for next year.  Couple of decent wingers at Bradford too for him to play inside which can only help.

1 hour ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

No it is true imo, come and see me in a few years time.

Bit of a vague statement this one. If I come and see you in a few years time, you could claim you were talking about anything that had happened in the previous few years.

Alex Walmsley needs a big year. For much of the year, it looked as though he wasn’t missed at Saints with Luke Thompson stepping up and the development of the likes of Matty Lees and Jack Ashworth. Instead of being the one dragging the pack around the park, it looks as though we have four or five good options in the front row, something we’ve seldom had. 

21 hours ago, Gates1 said:

I'd be very happy to see him loaned to you guys for the year, agree a solid year at a good level will do him good and give him a chance of earning a SL shot for next year.  Couple of decent wingers at Bradford too for him to play inside which can only help.

After seeing your squad number announcement he could be closer to a first team shot at the moment. Looking slightly lighter for outside backs for me

Oh and forgot to mention chuffed for Mitch Clarke settling into SL could have a real good career if he can keep his performances consistent

2 hours ago, thepimp007 said:

After seeing your squad number announcement he could be closer to a first team shot at the moment. Looking slightly lighter for outside backs for me

Oh and forgot to mention chuffed for Mitch Clarke settling into SL could have a real good career if he can keep his performances consistent

Possibly, and agree about us been light with established backs on the face of it.  But I suspect Wardle, Alex Foster and Ben Roberts will all be considered as back ups at centre.  Callum Turner could also free Peter Matutia up to move to centre's.

Clark certainly grabbed his chance last year, proper aggressive no nonsense performances, great to watch.

Really interested to see how Danny Richardson goes again this season. He was hot and cold last year so hoping for more consistency. 

Hopefully a big year for Matty Lees to cement a 17 spot whilst hoping Welsby, Bachelor, Bentley et al get more game time.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:12 AM, Emosi Koloto said:

As good a year as Lees had in 2018 I actually hope 2019 isn't his 'break-out' year. The lad has massive potential but going on the PNG tour (and being such a stand out) means he's had a reduced pre-season, and for young players (particulalrly forwards) this can really tell on them later on in a season if they're playing week in week out at the top level.

So for the sake of his long term future in the game I hope Holbrook manages his game time, particulalrly in the early part of the 2019 season

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived