Brits in the NRL

17 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I doubt that has anything to do with his contract with Canberrra. If it exists it would’ve been negotiated with Wigan as part of his release. 

Yeah I've just re-read the original statement from Wigan and it does say he has signed a 3 year contract with them when he returns from the NRL - so open ended to an extent. Although the words used back then certainly seem to suggest they thought he would only be gone a couple of years - I very much doubt that will be the case now and would be interesting to know if there's a time limit on Wigan's offer. 

19 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah I've just re-read the original statement from Wigan and it does say he has signed a 3 year contract with them when he returns from the NRL - so open ended to an extent. Although the words used back then certainly seem to suggest they thought he would only be gone a couple of years - I very much doubt that will be the case now and would be interesting to know if there's a time limit on Wigan's offer. 

There would have to be get-out clauses on both sides. What if he spends the next three years having shoulder and knee surgeries and only plays about 4 games? Could he go back to Wigan and demand they give him a 3-year deal? Or what if stays at the Raiders till he's 34? Could he then demand a 3-year deal at Wigan?

2 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

There would have to be get-out clauses on both sides. What if he spends the next three years having shoulder and knee surgeries and only plays about 4 games? Could he go back to Wigan and demand they give him a 3-year deal? Or what if stays at the Raiders till he's 34? Could he then demand a 3-year deal at Wigan?

His contract returning to Wigan will no doubt be subject to a medical/fitness test - as long as he passes though i'm pretty sure there won't be a loophole for Wigan to not offer the contract if he's had injuries that hamper him playing prior to that. The second point you make is what I'm posing above - i'd assume there's a time/age limit. 

Bateman has won Dally M second row of the year.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

While I think the Roosters will win the NRLGF, if Canberra did become champions, who was the last player to pick up championships in consecutive years in SL and NRL (or their predecessor competitions)?

Not setting a quiz, because I don't know the answer - just wondering.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

While I think the Roosters will win the NRLGF, if Canberra did become champions, who was the last player to pick up championships in consecutive years in SL and NRL (or their predecessor competitions)?

Not setting a quiz, because I don't know the answer - just wondering.

I don't know but Kevin Ward was close. CC winner then NSWRL GF winner. Harvey Howard played in consecutive GFs but Broncos won and Wigan lost.

35 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

John Bateman now has a virus and isn't training! If it is the same as Hodgson had then hopefully clear up in a couple of days. 

Interesting that both Hodgson and Bateman came down with a virus after a night out... Hodgson after Bateman's birthday and Bateman after the Dally M awards.

I wonder if virus is a code word for hangover. 

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

A quiz here for for NRL fans.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/04/the-nrl-brain-teaser-monster-grand-final-edition/

I got 7 of the first 10 right and then it got a lot harder and ended up on a 45% final score!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Pretty strong rumours  circulating that Leeds are in negotiations with Sam Burgess as a replacement for Merrin.

Not doubting you mate, but where have you heard this? The only reason I ask is, he’s signed with Rabbitohs til 2023 - would take one hell of a contract from Leeds to make him think it’s worth leaving. 

Seeing as though Sam brought George out to Souths with him before Tom came, if Sam follows George back to the UK then there is only one logical conclusion.

Sam prefers one of the twins over the other.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not doubting you mate, but where have you heard this? The only reason I ask is, he’s signed with Rabbitohs til 2023 - would take one hell of a contract from Leeds to make him think it’s worth leaving. 

I’ve read it on that other Main RL message board, in fairness I’d usually say it’s just a load of twaddle, however the people posting it have a good record in regards the rumours being true.

It would be one hell of a signing though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This story is gathering some real momentum down under - Luke Thompson to Rabbitohs as long term replacement for Sam Burgess. 

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-south-sydney-rabbitohs-luke-thompson-titans-luke-burt/8468ee9a-09c6-45c2-be1f-a49a2365c312

He could be a real superstar down there I reckon. If he is going to leave SL then better to be a club like Souths rather than following Holbrook to the Titans. 

• 3 months later...

Kallum Watkins looks like he has had a really strong off season and looking in great shape for the new NRL season.

At 28 he still has a big future and I would love to see him become one of the best centres in the world again. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/08/wifes-wisdom-helps-watkins-work-way-back-to-international-form/

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Kallum Watkins looks like he has had a really strong off season and looking in great shape for the new NRL season.

At 28 he still has a big future and I would love to see him become one of the best centres in the world again. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/08/wifes-wisdom-helps-watkins-work-way-back-to-international-form/

Do you know what? I’d totally forgotten about Watkins.   How is George Williams looking? Any sound bites?

• 2 weeks later...

Kallum Watkins has been named in the centre as a pretty much full strength Gold Coast and Brisbane go head to head in this weeks trial.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/25/week-2-nrl-trial-teams/

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Kallum Watkins has been named in the centre as a pretty much full strength Gold Coast and Brisbane go head to head in this weeks trial.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/25/week-2-nrl-trial-teams/

For those with Watch NRL, this is on at a civilised hour, if you're interested in seeing what sort of shape Kallum's in.

9:00am NRL Pre Season

Brisbane Broncos v Gold Coast Titans

LIVE STREAM: 9:00am Watch NRL

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson