Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Hollinwood

A permanent home for the club in Oldham

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

We have to be realistic and honest with ourselves.The game is in decline and I suggest even at Super League level let alone below Super League.

And I fear the next two years.

RL was always a family game with the interest in it being often passed down from grandfather to father to son, etc (I know that how I became interested in it).

However, giving Oldham as an example, but probably as in many other communities, with the local professional club not being involved in Superdooper League then the interest in the game has gradually declined especially as many current local inhabitants were not originally local (!!!) and had come to the town probably not even having heard of Rugby League.

Therefore they haven't got an RL background in their family and so don't have an interest in it ... and as that group of the population rises then the less newcomers there will be attending matches.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

RL was always a family game with the interest in it being often passed down from grandfather to father to son, etc (I know that how I became interested in it).

However, giving Oldham as an example, but probably as in many other communities, with the local professional club not being involved in Superdooper League then the interest in the game has gradually declined especially as many current local inhabitants were not originally local (!!!) and had come to the town probably not even having heard of Rugby League.

Therefore they haven't got an RL background in their family and so don't have an interest in it ... and as that group of the population rises then the less newcomers there will be attending matches.

You are correct.

There is no hiding place from the truth.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

We have to be realistic and honest with ourselves.The game is in decline and I suggest even at Super League level let alone below Super League.

And I fear the next two years.

So do I. If these suggestions about central funding do go ahead then its time to do something else on a Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately. It'll be Saddleworth rangers for me. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

So do I. If these suggestions about central funding do go ahead then its time to do something else on a Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately. It'll be Saddleworth rangers for me. 

Rangers ain't that bad to be unfortunately watching them !  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Rangers ain't that bad to be unfortunately watching them !  😉

The "unfortunately" wasn't aimed at Saddie, I love watching Saddie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

The "unfortunately" wasn't aimed at Saddie, I love watching Saddie. 

I know you were mate, I was just teasing ... hence the 😉

By the way, who is "Saddie" who you love watching ... and what's she doing while you watch ? 😉

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 20:30, RL does what Sky says said:

RL was always a family game with the interest in it being often passed down from grandfather to father to son, etc (I know that how I became interested in it).

However, giving Oldham as an example, but probably as in many other communities, with the local professional club not being involved in Superdooper League then the interest in the game has gradually declined especially as many current local inhabitants were not originally local (!!!) and had come to the town probably not even having heard of Rugby League.

Therefore they haven't got an RL background in their family and so don't have an interest in it ... and as that group of the population rises then the less newcomers there will be attending matches.

I totally agree. The dynamics and population of Oldham town has changed so much over the last 30 years with no interest in the rugby game by this new population.  It can only decline further as that population rises and this is not just rugby but football too.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, J Dyson said:

I totally agree. The dynamics and population of Oldham town has changed so much over the last 30 years with no interest in the rugby game by this new population.  It can only decline further as that population rises and this is not just rugby but football too.

Spot on mate. I feel that the town is becoming more disinterested in sport as time goes by. Yes, if you look at the football club, they're suffering too. I know a few season ticket holders at latics and they feel its on its way out. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I know you were mate, I was just teasing ... hence the 😉

By the way, who is "Saddie" who you love watching ... and what's she doing while you watch ? 😉

I hope Saddie is a blonde or brunette who has curves in the right places😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, the demographic is certainly changing.

Don't you just love how "vibrant" our society has become.

 

 

 

Not.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I hope Saddie is a blonde or brunette who has curves in the right places😉

Well, Saddie (or Saddleworth, who I think "moorside roughyed" was supposed to be referring to) certainly has a couple of exposed outstanding peaks !!!

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Little no it all said:

So promotion means Oldham rugby moving out of Oldham again 

why can they not sort a deal at boundary park 

Tell us, how many home games in 2019 did you attend.  Those played in Oldham.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Little no it all said:

So promotion means Oldham rugby moving out of Oldham again 

why can they not sort a deal at boundary park 

As an outsider it is my understanding from speaking to both Latics and Roughyed fans that OAFC do not want Oldham RLFC At Boundary Park under any circumstances.

 I also believe both clubs do not particularly like one another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, herbie said:

Sorry didnt realise id dropped in on a UKIP forum thought i was on the rugby one.🙄

Yes, it is ... and it's a discussion on why RL in the town is not getting as much support as in the past, of which one reason, without any doubt, is because of the influx of people who were not originally local and have not been brought up with a RL background in their family.

Such comments are not racist or any other "ist" but are a true fact of life. Yet these days it appears that any comment which does not favour certain groups of people are immediately jumped on by the politically-correct brigade.

Perhaps you have a reason why RL is not supported as much as it used to be in the town ?  Even when Oldham finished 29th out of 30 in 1969-70 they were still getting far more crowds than they do now, so it can't just be because of their performances this season.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Perhaps you have a reason why RL is not supported as much as it used to be in the town ?  Even when Oldham finished 29th out of 30 in 1969-70 they were still getting far more crowds than they do now, so it can't just be because of their performances this season.

It's not performances this season.  It's 15/20+ years of slow decline.  Certainly not helped by bumbling along in the lower divisions and multiple ground moves.  The football club is also in a state and has hardly been tearing up the divisions in decades.  

  • Like 3

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Perhaps you have a reason why RL is not supported as much as it used to be in the town ?  Even when Oldham finished 29th out of 30 in 1969-70 they were still getting far more crowds than they do now, so it can't just be because of their performances this season.

The reason is that the club just dont engage with Rugby League community in Oldham.

Have a look around the local amateur clubs on sunday morning. Hundreds of kids playing infront of their families (including quite a few that are probably not originally from Oldham) And yet a lot of these kids and families have a very limited knowledge of the pro club. 

The club as been badly run for years with no clear vision for the future.

So why bring up the race issue? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, herbie said:

The reason is that the club just dont engage with Rugby League community in Oldham.

Have a look around the local amateur clubs on sunday morning. Hundreds of kids playing infront of their families (including quite a few that are probably not originally from Oldham) And yet a lot of these kids and families have a very limited knowledge of the pro club. 

The club as been badly run for years with no clear vision for the future.

So why bring up the race issue? 

No, it is YOU that has brought up the race issue .... as people always do just for their own purpose when anything they perceive is not in favour of certain groups of the community.

Is it not true that the population of foreign people in Oldham has increased over the years ? To point that out has nothing to do with race, it is a true fact and one which has affected the attendances at matches as many of those now in the area do not have families with a long-standing interest in RL.

Just tell us all what was racist about the comment that more non-local people are now living in the town ?

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Well, Saddie (or Saddleworth, who I think "moorside roughyed" was supposed to be referring to) certainly has a couple of exposed outstanding peaks !!!

Yes it certainly does. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

No, it is YOU that has brought up the race issue .... as people always do just for their own purpose when anything they perceive is not in favour of certain groups of the community.

Is it not true that the population of foreign people in Oldham has increased over the years ? To point that out has nothing to do with race, it is a true fact and one which has affected the attendances at matches as many of those now in the area do not have families with a long-standing interest in RL.

Just tell us all what was racist about the comment that more non-local people are now living in the town ?

To "herbie" .... just putting a laughing emoji to my above post does not answer the question about what was racist with the comment that more non-local people are now living in the town. I'm sure several on here would like to know why you think it is.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I hope Saddie is a blonde or brunette who has curves in the right places😉

And I hope Saddie the blond or brunette with curves in the right places also wears a mini skirt too😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Herbie makes the point about kids and parents out on Sunday morning playing and watching at the amateur clubs. The trouble with that for the semi pro club is that after 2 to 3 hours there do they really want to spend the same time watching rugby in the afternoon? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...