Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Widnes Sunday 16th June 2019

So the steady climb up the table continued last week as for the third game running we beat a fellow top-5 contender.

This week's game doesn't quite have the same "4-pointer" impact, as Widnes' own top 5 prospects look slim to none now, but it's still a tough game on paper against a team that has beaten us twice already.

That said...there's plenty of reasons to be optimistic. We're away from an artificial pitch this time, back on our home ground where (Dewsbury excepting) we have gone very well this year. And we'll have much more our recognised line-up on show than we did in the 1895 Cup.

We were a bit scratchy aginst Sheffield though and we'll need to be better this week as Widnes will pose more of a threat (I thought Sheffield were very ordinary). We certainly can't afford to lose the ball early in the tackle count as regularly as we did at Sheffield, and I didn't think our attacking shapes were quite as good as they had been in previous weeks

We should have Golding, Briscoe and Sutcliffe as none are named in the Leeds 19 this week. Interesting to see if Davies and Makatoa get their places back, and who misses out if so, there's plenty of competition for places in the pack right now.

I fancy us to win this if we can cut out the errors from last week's game.

Yes will miss this one as I’m going on a fortnights holiday but will listen to it on Rovers tv.Think we have the best pack in the league and just about the best half backs but after watching the Sheffield match I did notice we let in a few soft try’s coming from Sheffields big forwards, one of which seemed to carry three of our tacklers over the line with him from five metres out and a predictable one from Mason who received the ball and ran carrying defenders over with him.I know he’s a big lad but up to this match our defence has been solid and we need to readdress our tackling techniques in training. We are on song now with confidence high and like mentioned in the past posts if we win against Widnes, Barrow,Halifax and Leigh which is likely we will be in a strong position to concrete our place in the five but not to be over confident as I still can’t believe how through all our decent performances we lost at home to Dewsbury.

19-man squad named
https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/19-man-squad-announced-for-vikings-visit-ShAKo

Teteh in for Render the only change.

So the decisions seem to be, firstly, which one of the 5 three quarters miss out? Carey's ankle was covered with a massive ice pack (or similar) at the end of the Sheffield game so we might see Hardcastle switching to the wing again.

Then one of the pack would need to be left out. Will probably depend on who has niggles etc. Ormondroyd seems to be the forward who gets least minutes (only got on 15 minutes from the end at Sheffield) so although he has been playing pretty well maybe he will miss out if everyone is fit.

A bit scratchy in the second half, the early conditions did nor suit us but a win is a win. I think Cravens injury seemed to effect them . as they lacked a cutting, however we did what we had to do and that 6 points at the end certainly helped our points tally. Well done lads on to \Barrow up next., but we must not look at the table and concentrate on 2 points.  

Wont be pumping teams every week but what a defensive effort

Thought they were the better team second half but much like the first half were a bit devoid of ideas near the line

Great defensive effort Golding a great choice for MoM 

Think Gelling fell out of Sutcliffes back pocket when he took his shorts of in changing rooms - the last try summed up his efforts today

Onwards and upwards for Barrow - could be second this time next week with a bit of luck 

Widnes were poor, even with Craven on the pitch in the first half. When he went off it was always going to be a struggle for them. Their 2nd half game plan seemed to be 'give it to Gelling.' Reminded me of when my lad played under 8's and the  game plan was 'give it to the fat kid as no one can tackle him'. As for Fev, another team nilled in the first half, rock solid defence in the 2nd and maybe I will give them a little leeway in attack due to the poor conditions. Onwards and upwards.

Really enjoyed the game today, our defence was awesome, especially when Widnes got those 4 sets of 6 towards the latter end of the game. 

Im Fev and im proud

Well where do i start?.Not the best conditions for an expansive game of R.L..Bur despite mistakes from both teams for most of the game it looked an evenly matched contest.Thought in the first half the ref could have blown Wides up for offside as a few pleyers were a couple of metres infront .I usually stand behind the sticks but the side view shows up offsides and forward passes.In the last twenty five minutes Widnes tried everything in attack but our defence was top notch.I think we tired them out by our effort and ability to cover   all over the field while under pressure.I liked that the defence even managed to force Widnes into playing back of the line instead of through it.Not many gaps for either side today,Widnes will play worse than they did today and still win matches.For us i thought Golding, Holmes,Cam King and Hardcastle were the pick but an outstanding team performance from all our lads.Carr is a young coach learning his trade in the English League but he continues to impress and a word for Marchy who passes his instructions on to the water carriers.

This was a scrappy by enjoyable game which proved a real test of how far we've come under Carr. A mark of a good side is being able to grind out victories against strong opposition when you can't dictate the game and have to soak up pressure.

Looking at our squad, we have got quality all over the field, and one massive difference between this season and last is our discipline and our defense, which is now the second best in the league behind Toronto.

It was clear that Widnes had marked out Chisolm and so he was unable to control the game like he has done recently for us, but Holmes was able to step in and raise his game. Both Chisolm's and Holme's tactical kicking was far superior to anything Widnes had up their sleeves.

The whole atmosphere around the club is buoyant and infectious. The crowd was fantastic, probably the loudest it's been for a long time. It probably helped that we were all tightly packed into the stands due to the rain and the cordoned-off sections.The players seem to be enjoying their rugby too, celebrating getting Gelling into touch was great.

It feels like Carr is building something great at the minute. Credit has to go too to the whole coaching staff - Marchy, Dave Merrick and Greg Stebbings - as well as everyone working behind the scenes to get our best players signed on for longer contracts. I think if Carr sticks around, there's a good chance Chisolm and King will too.

Last season we were the inform team early on before injuries took their toll. This season if feels like we're hitting our stride just at the right time. On current form, I'd fancy our chances against anyone in the league. Bring on the play offs.

Archived