Any 1 from 7

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It would make far more sense to have a 14 team SL, maybe then we could have a fairer league where its straight home and away fixtures, people seem to be forgetting that with P&R as it is a team is getting relegated when they play some teams more than others

Have done for a long time now Chris, it's called the magic weekend and because of the imbalance that game creates we need a Championship system, a straightforward 26 game season 13 home and away fixtures would deem the League leaders also the Champions, now they ain't going to stop that are they, no, so another imbalance system would be created, anyway a 26 game season would not be enough for some SL bosses.

54 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It would make far more sense to have a 14 team SL, maybe then we could have a fairer league where its straight home and away fixtures, people seem to be forgetting that with P&R as it is a team is getting relegated when they play some teams more than others

Now this I can agree with. 14 teams seems the way to go with 23 fixtures plus a magic. That’s plenty. They can’t just decide that now for next season though, the game badly needs some strategic planning and tactical implementation of said strategic plan.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

The introduction of Golden Point has ruined this next week for me .... all week I’d have been praying for a draw between Broncos and KR so Leeds could be bottom ???

I wouldn’t be surprised if Leeds just break the salary cap to stay up and take a penalty next year. Remember Wigan a few years ago ....

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

44 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

#Jeopardy

.............. and ecstasy all rolled up under the banner of P&R, it's what sport should be about, can you imagine just how good SL would be now this season if those teams fighting relegation didn't need to try to win and were allowed to just go through the motions, how anyone thinks that would be preferable to what we are now witnessing needs their bumps feeling, this is Competition and long may it be so in Rugby League, those who don't like it and keep qouting other games well bloody well go and watch them and leave us who thrive on the uncertainty to our own enjoyment.

10 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Now this I can agree with. 14 teams seems the way to go with 23 fixtures plus a magic. That’s plenty. They can’t just decide that now for next season though, the game badly needs some strategic planning and tactical implementation of said strategic plan.

23 fixtures?

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

.............. and ecstasy all rolled up under the banner of P&R, it's what sport should be about, can you imagine just how good SL would be now this season if those teams fighting relegation didn't need to try to win and were allowed to just go through the motions, how anyone thinks that would be preferable to what we are now witnessing needs their bumps feeling, this is Competition and long may it be so in Rugby League, those who don't like it and keep qouting other games well bloody well go and watch them and leave us who thrive on the uncertainty to our own enjoyment.

You may ‘thrive’ on the uncertainty, RL clubs however...

26 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

The introduction of Golden Point has ruined this next week for me .... all week I’d have been praying for a draw between Broncos and KR so Leeds could be bottom ???

I wouldn’t be surprised if Leeds just break the salary cap to stay up and take a penalty next year. Remember Wigan a few years ago ....

From your username I take it your a Bulls fan?

forgotten about your own breaches of the salary cap ?

2 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Well either way, Leeds will be in the do do if they lose to Saints on Friday.

One silver lining if they do get relegated, it will put an end to the moaners and whingers of our (Fev's) dual reg partnership we have with them!  

You never know.Fev could get promoted and the DR arrangement goes the other way.LOL.

I do realise this is fantasy land.

5 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

You never know.Fev could get promoted and the DR arrangement goes the other way.LOL.

I do realise this is fantasy land.

And who doesn't like a bit of ' fantasy ' ?

8 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

.......... in SL should be doing their utmost to avoid being bottom and suffering the consequences of (as at the present time) being the worst of the 12 club's divisional record in that particular season, and in the Championship striving to avoid being the worst and also battling to improve the standing of their club.

What would you say in your world of no more P&R if clubs in the Championship lost their owner's (investor's) and the clubs fell on hard times to disastrous levels?

Save for sounding pompous Chris and not knowing your profession either past or present I don't think that you quite understand what the consequences or enormity of the situation could occur by closing the door to promotion. In the main and indeed my expierence of succesful buisness people - those who invest in their clubs - is that through their nature they are ambitious people, that has got them to where they are, they strive to do as well as they possibly can in whatever they get involved in, but to acheive in RL terms their ambitions they need the opportunity to take their clubs to the top division, a decision to bring back no more promotion could very easily bring on the attitude of "bhugger it, I can spend my hard earned in other ways", which they could easily well do.

Why do you think the Championship has had more investment from individuals, more fans through the gates, and increased its standard immeasurably since 2015, nothing coincidental whatsoever would you say in that it is the season P&R was re-introduced and "the door of opportunity was open" close it again and witness it's demise!

Do you think the ambition of Chalmers, Beaumont, Campbell, Argyle etc is any different/less to say Hudgell, Carter, Fulton, Rosler not in the slightest, and would any of the latter still be in SL without the funding, so why keep it to a select few, hand on heart Chris answer it honestly.

14 team superleague dosnt have to be the end of P+R, two different discussions imo. Wont go into the best time to do it as thats been done to death and ends up with a short sighted view depending on club loyaltys/Rivalrys. Lets just say somtime in future seasons....

Discussion one would be...is a 14 team superleague, home and away + magic = 27 games, a better structure than the current one? Are there enough decent clubs to support that going forward? The answer to both is yes imo.

Discussion two would be...If a 14 team superleague was agreed upon, would it be a closed shop, would it be open to future teams based on strength of a clubs infrastructure more so than whats happening on the field, or would it be promotion and relegation.

I agree with Harry that theres got be sumthing for championship clubs to aim for and on field performance needs to mean sumthing. More often than not, at championship level, the teams with the infrastructure and money will be the teams doing it on the field anyways. He rightly says theres people with money at a couple of Champ, league one clubs that will want there money to be leading to superleague, we need to keep them in the game by keeping that window open.

For me, discussion one would be...Im massively in favour of a 14 team superleague,  its a must imo.

For me, discussion two would be...It should come with P+R included ,1 up 1 down. Im slightly torn on this part as i can see the logic in wanting the strongest clubs from an infrastructure point of view in the top comp, but either way, it shouldnt be a closed shop imo.

13 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Well either way, Leeds will be in the do do if they lose to Saints on Friday.

One silver lining if they do get relegated, it will put an end to the moaners and whingers of our (Fev's) dual reg partnership we have with them!  

Rhino's relegated? NEVER happen!!! 

11 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

What do you think will happen?

Rule change about relegation, team to come up won't meet any criteria, RL  will never let Rhino's get relegated! 

27 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Rhino's relegated? NEVER happen!!! 

25 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Rule change about relegation, team to come up won't meet any criteria, RL  will never let Rhino's get relegated! 

Tinfoil flat caps in Fev?

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

13 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I wouldn’t discount Huddersfield or Salford they are only 2 points from bottom 

If Giants have as many injuries as it seems then they should be worrying.  Of course they could have just given away the Saints game in the hope that they can get players fit.

If Wigan had been half decent then the Giants would have been in even more trouble.  

Leeds can't complain, they had London at Anfield.

Looking at the table the top two (+300 & +200) and Salford in 6th are the only team's with a positive for and against.  Add to that the fact that the team in 3rd, Hull, on -71 have had 50+ points put past them on 5 occasions  it really does like a levelling down in standard and consistency is taking place despite what our leaders spin is.

London look a good, workmanlike mid-table team when they have their best team out but you would question the strength of the full squad which you should really judge on.  The nature of the game means that at any one time you are going to have a number of injuries, some of them long term, so I'm not knocking London in any way but it might catch them out.

Others with far more resources can have little excuse for inept and embarrassing performance's.

From your username I take it your a Bulls fan?

forgotten about your own breaches of the salary cap ?

Yep, a Bulls fans, but what have they got to do with this?

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

In that case why not just get clubs to buy a big screen and have reruns of their past victories instead of employing players to actually play ? Be a lot cheaper and every fan would go home happy 

12 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Relegation and the risk of relegation is too big a risk for clubs and the game to bear and the benefits of P+R are so minor as to be inconsequential. 

The people so vociferously in favour of P+R are in favour of it because they would like their club to be promoted without it having the infrastructure necessary to take the game forward. They complain that there are clubs in SL that don't contribute to its value and they would like their club to be one of those clubs in SL not contributing to its value. 

Right now, if we made a decision to go to14 sides, no P+R, promoting Toulouse and Toronto they could be preparing for SL now, SL could go out and sell multi-year broadcast deals to france and Canada, we could be creating a package to sell to sky, putting in place the time-slots and fixtures we would need to to make it as attractive as possible to broadcasters, London could be looking at what they need to do to strengthen their young, largely british, often London developed squad, Leeds could be giving more game time to the fantastic crop of young players on cusp of breaking through, Hull KR could be investing in their youth development so they have more than 1 product getting games. 

Instead, London will be picked apart, players like Ferres will continue getting game time because its too much of a risk to rely on the likes of Holroyd and Trout, Hull KR will rely on players they have brought in from elsewhere, we can't sell tv rights because we don't know the make up of the squad. 

And the biggest irony is, all this "interest" apparently being generated by the relegation dog-fight isn't attracting people to watch. 

Funnily enough I can't argue against anything you've put there 

But lose P and R and I'll probably stop going as I did last time , so it's me being entirely selfish 

Archived