English kid Herbie farnworth set for NRL debut

Heard he was picked for the U19s SoO for Queensland but then stood down when they found out he played for England U16s at age 14. They'll get round that if he's good enough. With being trained by Brian Foley he'll certainly be tough enough. Brian trained them tough when he was at Wigan. 

I think he's played full back but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets picked for the England U19s at some point.

2 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Heard he was picked for the U19s SoO for Queensland but then stood down when they found out he played for England U16s at age 14. They'll get round that if he's good enough. With being trained by Brian Foley he'll certainly be tough enough. Brian trained them tough when he was at Wigan. 

I think he's played full back but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets picked for the England U19s at some point.

They didn’t even know he was English when initially picked for Queensland. His position is fullback but Broncos were always going to introduce him to first grade on the wing. As i’v posted before, he’s played a few games for Norths in the centre. I doubt that that would happen without Broncos say so. Exciting times ahead for him, i’m Chuffed for the lad. He’s worked so hard to get this far.

9 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

He could not play in a under 13s Origin (as i understand it).  But i ask, could he play in the real thing?

No, he is ineligible for senior SoO, as he was not a resident in Qld by his 13th birthday

10 minutes ago, philipw said:

No, he is ineligible for senior SoO, as he was not a resident in Qld by his 13th birthday

I confess this strikes me as absurd. Is he a naturalized (or other...) Australian citizen?

PS...  my point being Adrian Lam played for PNG. Yet he can at Origin.  There are others similar I believe.

9 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I confess this strikes me as absurd. Is he a naturalized (or other...) Australian citizen?

PS...  my point being Adrian Lam played for PNG. Yet he can at Origin.  There are others similar I believe.

Not as far as I am aware.

The rules were changed a few years ago, hence why Lam played SoO in the 90s, and others up until the last 5 or so years

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

There will be players who are eligible for Australia but not eligible to play Origin.

rldfsignature.jpg

On 04/07/2019 at 19:13, Rupert Prince said:

It's actually a good thing as it stops players from other countries from playing Origin and makes them more likely to play for Fiji, Tonga etc.

I only saw the last 30 minutes but he did pretty well. No real opportunities in attack but he was solid in his defence and carries. 

Overall a terrific win for a young Broncos side though, the Sharks showed the lack of a goal kicker can come back and hurt you.

I hope Farnworth gets some more first grade time soon.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Winning debut for Farnworth but used almost exclusively as a metre-eater coming out of the Broncos’ end with very little possession in good ball.

Overshadowed by the other debutant wing Xavier Coates but solid enough without catching the eye. 

18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Overshadowed by the other debutant wing Xavier Coates but solid enough without catching the eye. 

Coates scored a great try and then gifted one back to Cronulla with an in goal gaff.

In the second half the Sharks ran riot down the Broncos right edge. Of course this can't be attributed to the winger exclusively. 

If it weren't for that spectacular try with his first touch, I would say Oates endured a torrid debut.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived