Reports suggest Toronto Wolfpack not guaranteed SL place

The Daddy

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Get up to speed guy's it was announced a couple of days ago and even commented on these pages should Toronto be denied entry it would be the other finalist who would be admitted, London are to relegated no matter what, 

Things change quick in Rugby League. 2 days is a long time

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Omott91 said:

What makes you believe this? They already have more fans than most English clubs.  

Have you not read all the post I made, I have substantiated with reasoning in why i believe it will fail in time, the club needs to do something to have the game as part of the infrastructure of the city, not just another attraction like going out for a meal, visiting tge cinema or getting drunk at the beer tents. 

Denying entry to SL would be the major reason for any failure here. Toronto fans wont accept a club stuck in the championship. Unfortunate but how it is. Regardless of how good the product on the field . There is a need for a winning team to build support . It took TFC a fair while to get good crowds as to be fair they were not that good at the start . A move up into SL will mean the fair weather fans will have a reality check when the better teams come to town . Hopefully most will stick around for the long haul when they realize what they have here and how fortunate they are that David Argyle offers such fare.

11 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

The Blue Jay's and Raptors seem to do just fine without any Canadian players. No one seems to give a hoot. 

According to the Internet the Blue Jay's have had only 16 Canadian players in their 40+ years of existence.

But they are participating in a game which is part of the culture of the area if not the country, Rugby League has not bot that cultural connection.

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

not just another attraction like going out for a meal, visiting tge cinema or getting drunk at the beer tents. 

Have you not been to a footy game in a while. You don't need beer tents for fans to get drunk. 

You're just unfairly criticizing Canadian fans, you don't know what their intentions are when they attend a footy game. Them going to follow twp are no different to you or I following our teams.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But they are participating in a game which is part of the culture of the area if not the country, Rugby League has not bot that cultural connection.

From someone on the ground over here Harry: "That is pure nonsense."

I take your point that you want to develop a long term infrastructure to support the game long term in Canada; this is a valid point.  The Wolfpack and CRL are currently making inroads...it might not be to the level of your satisfaction but it is happening and RL is growing in Canada; thats a fact.

You seem to be getting somewhat negative theses days Harry; you Okay?

2 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Have you not been to a footy game in a while. You don't need beer tents for fans to get drunk. 

You're just unfairly criticizing Canadian fans, you don't know what their intentions are when they attend a footy game. Them going to follow twp are no different to you or I following our teams.

OK i will take that criticism, I was out of order with that last remark, but what U was refering to still stands.

Lets be honest, if theres a way the existing SL clubs can gain money from Toronto`s share then the minimum requirement for them being allowed into SL will be very achievable, they will make it so. The current SL club owners greed is ruining the sport and will continue to.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So what's your point? 

Toronto Wolfpack are already as successful as most of this historic clubs in terms of crowd size. Without the need of any Canadian players.

The Raptors are hugely successful and the current NBA champions without any Canadian players. No one called them a US team exiled in Canada in fact it was shouted from the rooftops by the NBA that it was a Canadian team winning the championship. 

Fair enough the try outs for College gridiron players was a gimmick. But it is just the aged all parorichal RL fan argument. As it is only a few old northern club fans that care that there are no Canadian players in year 3 of the clubs existence. 

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

From someone on the ground over here Harry: "That is pure nonsense."

I take your point that you want to develop a long term infrastructure to support the game long term in Canada; this is a valid point.  The Wolfpack and CRL are currently making inroads...it might not be to the level of your satisfaction but it is happening and RL is growing in Canada; thats a fact.

You seem to be getting somewhat negative theses days Harry; you Okay?

I'm fine K'man thanks for your concern, if in not just your opinion but many others you consider constructive criticism to be negative then in that we have a major problem, Nobody more than I would love to see our game have a workable global presence, but this in your own words 'expansion programme' and it's not just with TWP, they could be accommodated if they can be adopted into the SL structure seamlessly if all the component parts fit, we will find out in due course if the powers that be think they can or otherwise, it is in my opinion the stupidity that people think that we should invite other entities to join the League without first establishing that the prototype (TWP) works for the British game, not 8 or 9,000 Canadians, but the whole of the British game, and don't  for one minute suggest that SL owners are being negative they have a duty to their shareholders and fans first and foremost.

20 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

One thing that Toronto have done is expose the hypocrisy in the game.

Certain people will argue vociferously that if promotion were denied to heartland clubs like leigh or fev there would be no support base, no players and the game would cease in these towns (a pretty ridiculous notion but...)

They also argue that Toronto shouldn't be promoted because it doesnt have the support base or players.

Promotion = absolutely necessary because without it then game wont be part of the fabric of certain places

Promotion = should be denied because the game isnt in the fabric of certain places

The 'game' is also consistently criticised for not having patience with anything, yet some fans are demonstrating that here. I'm not sure anybody really expects local players in the first 3 or 4 years it is a convenient stick to beat them with.

Hell, the majority of the Warrington team are not from Warrington. And tbh, I care little whether our scrum half is from Warrington or Brisbane.

7 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

So what's your point? 

Toronto Wolfpack are already as successful as most of this historic clubs in terms of crowd size. Without the need of any Canadian players.

The Raptors are hugely successful and the current NBA champions without any Canadian players. No one called them a US team exiled in Canada in fact it was shouted from the rooftops by the NBA that it was a Canadian team winning the championship. 

Fair enough the try outs for College gridiron players was a gimmick. But it is just the aged all parorichal RL fan argument. As it is only a few old northern club fans that care that there are no Canadian players in year 3 of the clubs existence. 

My point is without both a foundation to fall back on or a cultural connection it will not last the test of time,, you seem to be such an expert in Totonto sports please tell me the participation levels of Basketball and whatever game tge ither club you mentioned play, I would like to guess their are more player's in any obe school in Toronto, than those actively involved in rugby league in the whole if the country, not really a good comparrison on your part.

PS for a gimmick it certainly convinced those on these pages with not a lot of grey matter. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

the initial one's concerning Mr Perez and his presentation to the British game and British public regarding TV deals and Player production are entirely correct, those who were interested could both read and and see the video evidence, it still exists.

PEREZ NO LONGER RUNS THE CLUB.

Does anyone expect any other organization to 100% follow what a previous leader's vision was after that leader has left?! 

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

it is in my opinion the stupidity that people think that we should invite other entities to join the League without first establishing that the prototype (TWP) works for the British game,

It's a given that the top tier in our game should prove that TWP as the prototype can fit in and add to SL. Then we can look at other sides . To be fair Toulouse are not being scrutinized as much but they should not be thought of as the right fit without being examined fully either. If TWP are not given access to SL then it is pointless creating the Ottawa club. It needs to be a fit both ways. For the British game and NA teams.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

My point is without both a foundation to fall back on or a cultural connection it will not last the test of time,, you seem to be such an expert in Totonto sports please tell me the participation levels of Basketball and whatever game tge ither club you mentioned play, I would like to guess their are more player's in any obe school in Toronto, than those actively involved in rugby league in the whole if the country, not really a good comparrison on your part.

PS for a gimmick it certainly convinced those on these pages with not a lot of grey matter. 

Genuine question Harry, how do you think the sport of RL can ever become embedded in the culture of Toronto city if we don't want to support them in Year 4? Surely time is needed for any of this?

I agree with the points about getting into schools, colleges etc. I agree about setting up junior clubs, academies etc. but these things take time. In the first three years they have had to go from a standing start and they have done some good stuff. For a club with no background and culture in RL, they are certainly making a good fist of it in the local area and media. 

Surely you can see that they need a bit of time. We are already seeing them do more of the grassroots stuff already, but that isn't going to be what gets them into SL within 5 years. 

Have a little patience.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Harry a little bird speaks in your wear and says, "SL is waiting to see who is in the Championship final..if it is Toulouse and Toronto an announcement will be made after the match that BOTH finalists are being accepted into an expanded SL (Toulouse with a % of central funding and Toronto with none;  each have to get their own TV deal).

If Toulouse is not in the final then just  the winner will go up (probably Toronto with conditions)."

Tweet...tweet...Hello little birdy.

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The 'game' is also consistently criticised for not having patience with anything, yet some fans are demonstrating that here. I'm not sure anybody really expects local players in the first 3 or 4 years it is a convenient stick to beat them with.

Hell, the majority of the Warrington team are not from Warrington. And tbh, I care little whether our scrum half is from Warrington or Brisbane.

Glad to see you are finally coming around to my way of thinking...that wasn't so hard was it?

TV money keeps coming up every so often.  I would suggest (if I had any authority which I don't) that the pot be split evenly after allocating the central funding equivalent, if twp don't get any central funding

If  Toronto get a 5 mil deal, the first 2.1 (or what ever equivalent central funding is) go to them, the rest (2.9) gets split evenly among the league in the event of a na deal.

I think that would be fair!

3 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

TV money keeps coming up every so often.  I would suggest (if I had any authority which I don't) that the pot be split evenly after allocating the central funding equivalent, if twp don't get any central funding

If  Toronto get a 5 mil deal, the first 2.1 (or what ever equivalent central funding is) go to them, the rest (2.9) gets split evenly among the league in the event of a na deal.

I think that would be fair!

I think the other clubs have shown that they are happy to keep what's theirs as theirs, and ours as ours.

Archived