Toronto draw crowd of 9,325, Warrington draw crowd of 5,625

I don't Sky cameras will be going to Toronto, they'll have to rely on local TV. If that's the case, I highly doubt they'll insist on a Thursday match as no one would want to broadcast it, leaving them to have to film it themselves.

Let's all try end user a bit of sensible reasoning rather than play one-upsmanship.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst very supportive of the idea of the Wolfpack I never really thought the idea would stick if I’m honest, although 1000 Canadians turning up at New River for their first ever game suggested I might be wrong. Three seasons on and it’s clear the people of Toronto have embraced the sport. One thing that really impressed me in all the clips I’ve seen is the amount of people wearing Toronto gear. Maybe a problem in the heartlands is that people take the sport for granted. Not a problem in London where it barely flickers across the consciousness for 99.9999% of the population! Anyway I’m very pleased I was wrong about TWP. 

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

Who funded it?

As it's been discussed on here plenty of times Im sure you know, they did themselves through their sponsor. Unless if course you knew that and you are trying to make a spurious point about Air transat's sponsorship covering flights and whose logic means we should disregard any sponsorship income from any club.

22 hours ago, Eddie said:

Toronto going up with an average gate of 8,000 (conservative estimate) and London going down would boost the whole league’s average attendance by about 500, and maybe more as I expect away crowds will be bigger to see TWP than they are London. Yet a lot of posters here still think Tolouse are a better bet to raise the profile of SL and some would be happy to see the back of the likes of HKR and Cas to get them in. 

This something I have never really understood, if the London team moved en-bloc to Canada let's say to the new Ottawa club why would they suddenly become attractive enough to entice people to go and watch them?

On this site the Leigh club, player's and coach Paul Rowley were ridiculed, called and chastised for a good couple of seasons. Eleven of the squad, yes eleven plus the coach and assistant coach transfer to Toronto and suddenly those very same people who had cause to drag these same individuals through the dirt on these pages all of a sudden can't get enough of them and all because they exchanged the colour of their shirts, collectively as a group fans of the game could have watched them perform previously in the Leigh colours but chose not to, somebody please explain it to me.

5 hours ago, SL17 said:

Why not? You are not paying a Sky sub.. I am..

Edit: Get out of that one..

are you, by any chance, one of those drivers who drives a cyclist off the road with the justification "i have paid my road tax and you havent"?

4 hours ago, SL17 said:

Yes! Thursday night 7-45pm is best for Sky and it’s subscribers. 

Many people end up upset as the matches are moved. Some people already made arrangements with the original fixture.

Are you saying you should hold all the aces? As in when to play and also what season?

Have Catalans ever played at home on a Thursday night or even any other day than Saturday?

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

That would change having no independent broadcasters of their own. Same for Toronto.

why would it... Catalans home matches give you a Saturday afternoon spot that no one seems to want to fill.. that is good for Sky. 

Toronto can give them a Saturday evening spot.. 

perfect. Sky are not stupid, they move people around using games that are not doing anything for them.. We have loads of UK games not being shown at all so they fiddle with them.. but when they have teams that are already in good TV spots and they work well for all concerned they dont mess.. 

If Toronto, or Cats for that matter, don't supply broadcasts of their home games, then their respective projects are over. Sky has no incentive to arrange broadcast of their games, as it adds nothing to their subscriber base. The sport won't be able to afford to carry them, even Cats, I fear. 

Fortunately, I think Cats games are likely to remain, SL are just trying to screw a few more quid out of them. An unnecessary risk in my view if it threatens a complete blackout, but hopefully resolved soon. 

TW I worry about. The club can't fund their own coverage indefinitely, they need a local broadcaster to come in and at least pick up production costs like BeiN did. The fact that TW dropped coverage for their last few regular season games without anyone seeming to miss it was concerning. The club's done well to establish a spectator base with their fun, easily accessible gamedays. But the local TV audience still seems negligible, and the club will live or die on that point. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Have Catalans ever played at home on a Thursday night or even any other day than Saturday?

Hey Damien you posted the confused emoji to my post, is it that you are as confused as I that the very same player's who could be witnessed performing in other club's uniforms but weren't given even a cursory second glance suddenly become box office attraction by playing in a different jersey.

If you are not confused please share with me what is the attraction, that is all I requested.

6 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Population or Warrington - 213,000

Population or Toronto - 2,800,000

End

How long has Rugby League been played in Warrington?

Where did the club that Warrington played come from?

How long has Professional Rugby League been played in Toronto?

Where did the club that Toronto played come from?

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hey Damien you posted the confused emoji to my post, is it that you are as confused as I that the very same player's who could be witnessed performing in other club's uniforms but weren't given even a cursory second glance suddenly become box office attraction by playing in a different jersey.

If you are not confused please share with me what is the attraction, that is all I requested.

I'm not playing your games Harry. If you are going to quote me at least have the decency to reply to the content of the quote.

As I've said before threads aren't all about you, your views and what you demand people reply to. Another poster also posted the confused emoji before me, strange there was no message to him. 

Your dummy spitting about Leigh and Toronto is frankly pathetic. The charade has well and truly collapsed now and you are showing your true colours.

14 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Population or Warrington - 213,000

Population or Toronto - 2,800,000

End

Utterly irrelevant. Population of my house - 2. Number of them who turn up every week to watch RL - 1. That makes my house more of a RL hotbed than Fev, Wigan or anywhere else. Give me a SL team.

If I get offered a job and one company pays half what the other does, because they only have half the number of paying customers, I don't take the lower paying job because that company is based in a small town. Professional sportsmen don't either.

I couldn't reply to the other poster simply because I could not locate a post of his to reply to.

Your confused emoji to me, well I just wanted it clarifying what you were actually confused about, and could you please shed any light why I was perplexed in not understanding of what I wrote.

As far as Leigh is concerned that had nothing to do with it, it just happened to be Leigh the player's that TWP employed came from that club, indeed if you read it again, I suggested at the very beginning of the post if all the London team moved to Ottawa why would/should Ottawa receive more support off the British public than the same player's performing for London than a foreign team, the poster I tried to said as such in the case of Toronto.

Why are threads all about me, I ask questions, perhaps those questions are to searching for some to comprehend.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As far as Leigh is concerned that had nothing to do with it, it just happened to be Leigh the player's that TWP employed came from that club, indeed if you read it again, I suggested at the very beginning of the post if all the London team moved to Ottawa why would/should Ottawa receive more support off the British public than the same player's performing for London than a foreign team, the poster I tried to said as such in the case of Toronto.

Do you think it's the British public that would be turning up to support Toronto (or Ottawa)? At the Skolars game a couple of years ago, it was fairly evident that there were a lot of expat Canadians there and only a few locals for the novelty factor.

If there are significant numbers of locals turning up, I guess it's down to the fact that some people are more interested in a game against a big foreign city that they've heard of rather than a small town they maybe haven't, and they don't care too much about the provenance of those players. Soccer fans don't seem to care at all about whether the players on their team or the opposition are locals or not - I think that's very much a RL thing.

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

Do you think it's the British public that would be turning up to support Toronto (or Ottawa)? At the Skolars game a couple of years ago, it was fairly evident that there were a lot of expat Canadians there and only a few locals for the novelty factor.

If there are significant numbers of locals turning up, I guess it's down to the fact that some people are more interested in a game against a big foreign city that they've heard of rather than a small town they maybe haven't, and they don't care too much about the provenance of those players. Soccer fans don't seem to care at all about whether the players on their team or the opposition are locals or not - I think that's very much a RL thing.

as an example.. if Sheffield Steelers were to play a team from Germany or from scandinavia at Ice Hockey I would be more inclined to go and watch than to go and see them play Bracknell... I dont give a toss where the players come from but my expectation would be that they were a good side.. that would be heightened if they were from a big city in Germany or Scandinavia and not the equivalent of Bracknell (I apologies to people from Bracknell but i remember you had a team).. 

I know nothing about Ice Hockey but this sort of thing would strike me as a bit more exciting.. 

29 minutes ago, JonM said:

Utterly irrelevant. Population of my house - 2. Number of them who turn up every week to watch RL - 1. That makes my house more of a RL hotbed than Fev, Wigan or anywhere else. Give me a SL team.

If I get offered a job and one company pays half what the other does, because they only have half the number of paying customers, I don't take the lower paying job because that company is based in a small town. Professional sportsmen don't either.

so Toronto having a city of 2.8m people to aim at it irrelevant..........ok

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

22 minutes ago, JonM said:

Sorry if I have confused Jon, I was replying to the poster who suggested TWP could get more locals in SL games over here. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry if I have confused Jon, I was replying to the poster who suggested TWP could get more locals in SL games over here. 

The next thing you know Harry...you will probably be accusing TWP of paying its centers too highly...I think Ricky deserves every farthing...people deserve to be compensated properly...its the Wolfpack way.

3 hours ago, SL17 said:

Well of course I knew that, no airline sponsorship then who is footing the bill? 

Canoe man stated a couple years back. If they reached SL the free travel would stop. He knows quite a lot doesn’t he!

That  Canoeman knows alot for sure....things like, "Ricky deserves every penny."

4 hours ago, POR said:

didn't see the game so how many of the 9325 were sat in the stands watching the rugby 

Why on earth would that matter? 

Teams all over the place are encouraging, and building their stadiums specifically to facilitate the social aspect of being at games. End zone patios / party decks, outside viewing areas, bars within the stadium. Check out Pil Country in Regina, Coors Light Patio and the Stipley in Hamilton,  the Flight Deck in Montreal, I know the Cowboys have one as well, Edmonton removed a bunch of seats to do it.

Why are so many Brits so hung up on the fact that there's a beer garden?  I thought you guys like beer and like to drink? As mentioned above,  it's not a unique concept to have the party end zone, the only unique part was inviting the brewers to set up their booths like a beer festival, which was really just a solution to the lack of facilities at the stadium.  Why is it such a foreign concept that gets ragged on all the time? 

Archived