Sign in to follow this  
yipyee

Bring back the 4 nations

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

No, GB. 

No Scotland and Ireland play separately 

Its England and Wales.

Test matches are played in Wales and the Welsh play for England.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

If you want to advance the 2nd tier, it must be 5 nations, not 4. Home hemisphere gets 3 teams.

Disagree tier 1 teams plus the best tier 2 from that hemisphere worked well!

22 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

GB shouldn’t be binned because of one man, who failed to pick a squad with adequate depth and who saw the role as coach of the side as experimental, so he could plan for the future of another job. 

GB should be kept on but planned much better in future. Bennett should be scrapped as England and GB coach. 

The experiment has failed, 

Poor take up of players making themselves available

Poor crowds

Poor coach choice followed by poor selection

Poor performance

A British coach should have been picked and trial games midseason for the home nation teams.

Experiment has failed and should be buried deep into the memory.

This experiment has actually tarnished the great GB teams of the past!

Just now, 17 stone giant said:

I also prefer four (or six). It's more neat and tidy. You don't have any team sitting out a week.

Yep!

Also the home qualifying comp in the alternate year was good and competitive as they where meaningful games!

Imagine this year if Tonga would have won it! Sadly they have nothing to show from their great performances

11 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Disagree tier 1 teams plus the best tier 2 from that hemisphere worked well!

So in northern hemisphere 4 Nations, England plus one team that will get smashed in all three games they play, or England plus two, and in the current world, you still have France playing someone else who they have a good chance of beating and loosing to???

Additionally, 4 nations, it’s not long before England won’t fit that bill.

47 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

So in northern hemisphere 4 Nations, England plus one team that will get smashed in all three games they play, or England plus two, and in the current world, you still have France playing someone else who they have a good chance of beating and loosing to???

Additionally, 4 nations, it’s not long before England won’t fit that bill.

Hmmm I remember Scotland winning the European qualifying tourney and then drawing with NZ and scaring England. Think they where winning at HT?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yipyee said:

No Scotland and Ireland play separately 

Its England and Wales.

Test matches are played in Wales and the Welsh play for England.

Can you find me some sort of evidence? Perhaps a cricket match...England and Wales V Australia maybe. England and Wales V West Indies? 

Technically you might be right, but it’s never been labelled England and Wales has it? 

4 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I've never once, ever, heard the England cricket team referred to as England and Wales. Why for instance, don't they get a mention on the badge? Because it's England. 

They play in Cardiff often. They represent both England & Wales. The ECB also don't represent Wales on their badge or their initials, yet you accept they govern England & Wales.

There is no Welsh rep team for this reason.

Not that I agree. It's stupid. It's like having a team that has Irish players in it but not in its name or colours and never plays there or sings their anthem...

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC
  • Like 1

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Poower Lad said:

Why did the 4 nations get scrapped in the first place 

Lots of negativity around it, wasn't respected, struggle for a competitive fourth nation, poor engagement.

people said they wanted three tests against the same team to build  momentum rather than one off games 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Can you find me some sort of evidence? Perhaps a cricket match...England and Wales V Australia maybe. England and Wales V West Indies? 

Technically you might be right, but it’s never been labelled England and Wales has it? 

What the team is referred to & known as matters not......

The fact is the team represents England & Wales. 

You initially said Ben Stokes played for England not the whole British Isles. How do you know he wasn't playing for Wales? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fuzzy said:

Lots of negativity around it, wasn't respected, struggle for a competitive fourth nation, poor engagement.

people said they wanted three tests against the same team to build  momentum rather than one off games 

Negativity from whom?

Not respected by whom?

Which people wanted three tests?

• Like 1

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

51 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Negativity from whom?

Not respected by whom?

Which people wanted three tests?

Well obviously I don't know the by name, but all the same sources you see people saying it should come back

if it's as popular as you say, are you seriously suggesting the powers thought, hang on this is excellent and everyone likes it, let's drop it? What's their motivation for removing something if it was liked, successful and respected ? 

Im not saying I didn't like it, just that many sources said it wasn't working 

1 hour ago, Poower Lad said:

Why did the 4 nations get scrapped in the first place 

I think the main reason is the NRL / OZ federation wanted to reduce the amount of games played by OZ. The 4N was 4 games for OZ as they always made the final. 

Now apart from in WC years they are playing less matches. I think 2 tests in both 18 and 19.

I don't know this for sure but the above makes sense. 

Both that they wanted less wear and tear on the players and they have issues with wadges for the OZ matches as the players are on 20k aud a game and the TV rights are not likely to be that lucrative as the International game is Likely to be 3rd behind Origin and the NRL for General RL Fans down under. 

The 4N was a very good competition and it would be a good thing to bring it back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smudger06 said:

What the team is referred to & known as matters not......

The fact is the team represents England & Wales. 

You initially said Ben Stokes played for England not the whole British Isles. How do you know he wasn't playing for Wales? 

Because Wales isn't in the name of the team, however much you want to argue about semantics. Plus Stokes old man didn't come from Wales, nor did he live there. So.....

In fact, it backs up the case for not calling it GB as it's all English, rather like the cricket team.

I tell you what as well, I'll give you £10 for every person in this country you can find, who refers to the English cricket team as 'England and Wales'.

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Yep technically  its correct. No label though.

Just like GB have chose not to label ireland even though technically they are included.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

They play in Cardiff often. They represent both England & Wales. The ECB also don't represent Wales on their badge or their initials, yet you accept they govern England & Wales.

There is no Welsh rep team for this reason.

Not that I agree. It's stupid. It's like having a team that has Irish players in it but not in its name or colours and never plays there or sings their anthem...

All I'm saying is that nobody, ever..but ever, refers to the English cricket team as England and Wales. Even if technically it might be.

But even if it was E&W, that's still not GB. 

England, France, Australia, NZ.  Annual tournament single round robin.  Make it happen.

Likewise:

PNG, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga play an annual tournament.  Call it the Pacific Nations Series.  

5 hours ago, yipyee said:

Hmmm I remember Scotland winning the European qualifying tourney and then drawing with NZ and scaring England. Think they where winning at HT?

Yeah, tell me if that can be relied upon as consistent? Just get a fifth team in there and stop arguing.

why wouldn’t you want the 5th team in anyway?

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yeah, tell me if that can be relied upon as consistent? Just get a fifth team in there and stop arguing.

why wouldn’t you want the 5th team in anyway?

Too many games and too long a tournament maybe? Not my personal view, but I can imagine that would be a sticking point.

On 09/11/2019 at 06:04, Damien said:

What would completely undermine the concept of a GB team is picking inferior players just to fill some quota from each country.

It's called affirmative action. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I can see the benefit og England playing the four nations for tougher competition. I just don't like England turning its back on Europe. If the four nations is revived, I'd hope England would still put a team in the Euro Group A to raise the profile of that comp, improve the depth of English RL by giving more players the chance to play for their country and give the other nations the opportunity to knock over England. They all love doing that. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

10 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I've never once, ever, heard the England cricket team referred to as England and Wales. Why for instance, don't they get a mention on the badge? Because it's England. 

I don't follow cricket but i've heard Alistair Cook say it's England and Wales during a press conference.