Leeds Wire

Butchering the English language

1 minute ago, JonM said:

It's because aks was the original Anglo-Saxon form and it changed to ask sometime around the 17th century. Southern US and Caribbean English speakers have preserved the old form.

There's probably old blokes in Leigh sat round moaning about this modern trend for saying 'you' instead of using 'thee' and 'thou' properly.

Thou jesteth

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

But everyone up here thinks people down south pronounce words incorrectly and for some bizarre reason keep wanting to put an ‘ r ‘ in words where there isn’t one . The grarrs and the barrth. I even met a guy who’d been to Damarrscus on holiday 

And the Scots think it's funny that most English people don't pronounce the 'r' in words like car. 

Edited by JonM

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Thou jesteth

Jest is a good example of a word that has completely changed its meaning over the years. It originally meant some piece of bravery or courageous action.

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

But everyone up here thinks people down south pronounce words incorrectly and for some bizarre reason keep wanting to put an ‘ r ‘ in words where there isn’t one . The grarrs and the barrth. I even met a guy who’d been to Damarrscus on holiday 

Exactly. Standard English is decided by the winners though so whilst the southerners are wrong, it's they who are running the show and get to decide that people with northern accents must be thick because they sound like that.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Jest is a good example of a word that has completely changed its meaning over the years. It originally meant some piece of bravery or courageous action.

Joust related?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

And the Scots think it's funny that most English people don't pronounce the 'r' in words like car. 

R’s at the end of words are way overrated , get rid of them ..From tomorra  

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Got a northern accent?

Everyone nodding along to these kind of threads thinks you pronounce everything incorrectly and talk funny.

Maybe southerners or such oddities.

But since when did their opinion matter? 

Seriously though I have always find the English language , it’s evolution , it’s diversity and usage rather fascinating . I read something once on the Cumbrian dialect , and like many I’d think , it was a mix of all sorts from Scottish to Celtic to Norse etc . It’s all about history , migration and various influences  which get absorbed . I think it’s interesting anyway 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

That is a very good point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Joust related?

Google suggests not - etymology of joust is from Latin juxta (near), etymology of jest is from French geste and Latin gesta (deeds).

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Exactly. Standard English is decided by the winners though so whilst the southerners are wrong, it's they who are running the show and get to decide that people with northern accents must be thick because they sound like that.

Lengthening the a in some words is not a feature of most US accents, though, so it's still very much a feature of a minority of English speakers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap-bath_split

22 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That is a very good point.

A good point?

from the man living in Sussex?

if you were any further south you’d be speaking French mon ami 

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

A good point?

from the man living in Sussex?

It is a constant pleasure when Tiny Ginger looks at me and says, his voice breaking with sympathy, "Dad, why do you say path like that?"

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Terrybill said:

Those that use of instead of have 'i.e. 'the coach should have picked' 

Many 'of' offenders on these forums

Aye wish peepl wood not doo it, but it duz not reelee bother mee, az i lueek see-in the In-glish lan-gwage butchered, as it's reelee sillee, it's sillier than Cymraeg. 

34 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It is a constant pleasure when Tiny Ginger looks at me and says, his voice breaking with sympathy, "Dad, why do you say path like that?"

Your son is ashamed of you, you know that don't you. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Your son is ashamed of you, you know that don't you. 

Of course he's ashamed of me. He's a nearly teen and I'm his parent.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

This is good . It’s like Robert Robinson is reborn 

A very eloquent and decent chap only slightly  spoiled by the comb over and he was the ideal front man for 'Ask the Family'

Edited by Terrybill
tidy up

2 hours ago, Terrybill said:

Those that use of instead of have 'i.e. 'the coach should have picked' 

Many 'of' offenders on these forums

It is a good way of deciding whose posts to skip on a long thread. See also grocers' apostrophes, as well as anyone who uses the term "bang average", as it almost always translates to nothing more than "doesn't play for my club".

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

I gave 110%... how... how the f*ck did you give 110%???

"obviously"... if it is obvious you do not need to explain it, if you do then it is not obvious!

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It is a good way of deciding whose posts to skip on a long thread. See also grocers' apostrophes, as well as anyone who uses the term "bang average", as it almost always translates to nothing more than "doesn't play for my club".

I’m a bit like that with ‘ simples ‘ . I mean it may have been mildly amusing ages ago , but now it’s a sure fire irritating way to ruin a post 

"Can I get a..." 

Dunno, can you? 🙄

• Haha 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb