Sign in to follow this  
DC77

“Rugby league was born in this city”...no not in England, Sydney.

3 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Oh yeh If I had to pick a date it's certainly 1895.  Yeh clubs like hull fC and Wigan were formed around 1865 or 1880 so somehow this needs to be included.  Union shouldn't be allowed to monopolize this for themselves 

Much as.how they took over the term rugby as theirs.  When I hear most English rugby league fans call.the game the same name 

Definitely.in Australia rugby means union.  It used to.be union and league then sometime in the 80s..they became rugby.  As.if they were the original game and league the offshoot.

This conversation made me wonder if any official records from pre-1895 for clubs that moved to RL still exist in the RU world or where they expunged?

47 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Well this discussion has taken a turn.

Surely it is impossible to argue that 1895 wasn't the birth of our sport. Without that critical decision to break away and form the Northern Union everything that came after wouldn't have existed. Of course there are changes to the laws that evolved the sport into what we have now but saying that certain laws created the game is a flawed argument.  If that was the case you could argue that Rugby League only became Rugby League at the introduction of the 40/20 kick as that is Rugby League today.

The sport was born in 1895 in Huddersfield.  The only grace I give Ikin in the discussion is he was talking about the Australian Rugby League scene and so saying Rugby League was born in Sydney in that context is ok.

You are right 

But.in terms of rugby league going to 13 players and bringing in a play the ball were the major rule.changes that differentiate league vs union even today 

If union had a ptb.today the game would.ve very similar 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

This conversation made me wonder if any official records from pre-1895 for clubs that moved to RL still exist in the RU world or where they expunged?

I heard some of their clubs took over that history for themselves. Ie those start dates 

And also.huddersfield.giants have 1895 as their birth date even though they were formed before then which is just stupid