Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
THE RED ROOSTER

England v South Africa Cricket

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Opposition video sessions before facing England probably last no more than ten minutes:

- Bairstow - bowl at the stumps.

- Stokes - good length wide of off, he'll flap at it.

- Broad - bowl at his head.

Don't even get me started on Stokes getting 'dehydrated' on day one of a test.

The entire medical staff, or whoever is ignoring them, need kicking out


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Broad - bowl at his head.

Well you won’t miss it , he fancies himself so much . Basically though , just bowl at broad and you’ll get him out . What the hell has happened to that bloke ? Getting hit on the head 8 years ago wore thin as an excuse ages ago . He’s totally gutless . Their night watchman had less talent but stuck in with heart and grit and wasn’t frightened of the ball . 
 

PS Sibley got a bagful in county stuff ... says it all . So did balance and Westley no doubt , among others . Obviously only being able to play on one side of the pitch and holes in your technique is no hindrance there

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Bairstow does a Bairstow . How can you get dropped , do nothing in the meantime then come back in ?

He has never let anyone down and Ricky Ponting said something good about him five years ago.


I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

He has never let anyone down and Ricky Ponting said something good about him five years ago.

Aye and you become hundred times better when you’re out the side ... hence folk clamouring for Moeen to come back . Balance must be don bradman by now . Root is bairstow’s buddy so that helps 

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do rl supporters make of the attendance for Test cricket in SA and indeed in most parts of the world?

If these attendances happened in rl people would be talking about crisis/shambles etc.

Or is cricket all about 20/20 nowadays?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine if we were playing a good confident South Africa team . Half of them are over here . We never seem to learn and improve anything . Same old failings 

PS when root does all these interviews he does actually understand we’ve lost doesn’t he ?

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way how bland is the debate without bob ?Ramprakash ... They’ll be disappointed with that but we’ve got great potential in the team blah blah . Even Charles looks bored 

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DavidM said:

By the way how bland is the debate without bob ?Ramprakash ... They’ll be disappointed with that but we’ve got great potential in the team blah blah . Even Charles looks bored 

You would have thought Ramprakrap would be in his element talking about English batting failures.


I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

You would have thought Ramprakrap would be in his element talking about English batting failures.

He was on the coaching staff so he clearly wants his job back. Rob Key was doing his best Willis impression a couple of days ago. Which, because he has no soul, was dull in the way that only Rob Key can manage.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2019 at 11:59, Just Browny said:

He has never let anyone down and Ricky Ponting said something good about him five years ago.

 

On 29/12/2019 at 12:26, DavidM said:

Aye and you become hundred times better when you’re out the side ... hence folk clamouring for Moeen to come back . Balance must be don bradman by now . Root is bairstow’s buddy so that helps 

 

On 29/12/2019 at 11:50, DavidM said:

Bairstow does a Bairstow . How can you get dropped , do nothing in the meantime then come back in ?

 

Bairstow played because Pope went down with the lurgy. Moeen has said he doesn't want to play test cricket for a while.

Bairstow wasn't the sentimental choice; Jimmy Anderson was. They'll probably give him one more chance.

To be fair to Ben Stokes, his Dad has been critically ill in hospital out there. I don't suppose Ben has had much sleep over the past week.

Root's tactics were absolutely stupid:

 - He put SA in after winning the toss. If he'd chosen to bat, his affected players would have had most of an extra day to get over the lurgy.

  - In the SA second innings he ordered a sustained bouncer barrage on a pitch where length-balls were receiving  big sideways movement. At one time, Archer was going for ten runs an over. Those tactics cost at least sixty runs that would have to be accrued when England batted last on that dodgy pitch.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

 

 

 

Bairstow played because Pope went down with the lurgy. Moeen has said he doesn't want to play test cricket for a while.

Bairstow wasn't the sentimental choice; Jimmy Anderson was. They'll probably give him one more chance.

To be fair to Ben Stokes, his Dad has been critically ill in hospital out there. I don't suppose Ben has had much sleep over the past week.

Root's tactics were absolutely stupid:

 - He put SA in after winning the toss. If he'd chosen to bat, his affected players would have had most of an extra day to get over the lurgy.

  - In the SA second innings he ordered a sustained bouncer barrage on a pitch where length-balls were receiving  big sideways movement. At one time, Archer was going for ten runs an over. Those tactics cost at least sixty runs that would have to be accrued when England batted last on that dodgy pitch.

The Root/Archer axis is a bit of an issue . I don’t know who is behind this ‘ bang it in short then shorter ‘ plan but it’s frustrating and tedious . He’s way better than that . He spent all summer watching Pat Cummins . Watch footage of Dale Steyn. Fuller and fast is a lot more effective than short and fast , all modes of dismissal are open. The short ball is your shock tactic . The sooner the penny drops and he’s used in four or five over bursts - top pace and more consistent in line n length the better , and more threatening he’ll be

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

t gets worse, both Pope and Burns In jured playing soccer. This was the start of Jonny Bairstow's woes in Sri Lanka getting injured in an Impromptu soccer game. God knows why they do it as I am sure Harry Kane and Delli Ali get out a plastic bat and stumps for a quick T20 warm up before Tottenham games - NOT .

Looks like Jimmy might get a reprieve for this match with Archer injured but sports are a meritocracy and you do not get selected on the basis of what you have done in the past but what you are doing at present and Jimmy is seriously off the pace.  When age catches up with you in sports you can rely on your nous and the fact that people play you off your reputation and if your in a good side no-one notices that much. However when you play in what's best a mediocre outfit and people are used to you being the "go to man" your waning skill set becomes patently obvious. You can make as many statements as you like about longevity but sooner or later you begin to tarnish your legacy - Just ask Tom Brady of the New England Patriots.

I can't understand the objections to 4 day Cricket because unless we have an absolute "road" (and Cape Town has had a few of those) neither side bats well enough for anything other than a four day game. Still must not grumble, a second England defeat increases the probabibiity that the India v Australia World Test Championship game moves from Lords to Mumbai. Freeing up the space for the first ever Test Between England and Afghanistran next year at Lords - Over 4 days of course.

image.png.efbd485883ab1bd3ed677a6d1eaf2054.png

 


?

Quote

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

 
Eddie Demsey RMT
 
Quote

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

 

I can't understand the objections to 4 day Cricket

For the same reason we should have a reserve day for big ODI matches. England has weather. So do other parts of the world sometimes. When that's going to be an issue and we're going to lose time we need time to get it back.

If that's sorted then I've no objection to four day games - but maybe say they are 400 over minimum contests ...


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a fan of 4 day tests . The 5th day is the point of difference . It sounds great when they talk about 98 overs a day ... until you look at over rates and how they can’t bowl 85 in six and a half hours a lot of the time . If they’re gonna play until they bowl 98 overs then yeh ok , but I hope all the grounds have floodlights . Apparently joe root thought tests were 4 days anyway...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KP laughing like crazy when his really good bosom buddy broad  was out looking like a total burke 

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Broad’s been finished as a batsman since India’s Varun Aaron hit full in the face in 2014, fortunately for him his bowling’s been excellent and kept in the team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another poor batting display with the saving grace for England being that the Saffers are equally as bad with the willow. As a statistical note, in this series, no side has batted longer than 93 Overs.

One other sobering fact, England's 3-1 win in 2018 was partly due to Vernon Philander's absence from the SA attack

Castleford Tigers banner at the ground today and although I was underwhelmed by the appointment of the Castleford fan as coach Chris Silverwood will have my support if he carries through on his public intention to piok on form not reputation.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

KP laughing like crazy when his really good bosom buddy broad  was out looking like a total burke 

Its fair to say they don't get on. Will be fun in the SKY box in the near future iof these two are on rota together. Commentary a bit like Channel 9's once and unrepeated paring of Ian Chappel and Ian Botham which lead to The angry silence


?

Quote

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

 
Eddie Demsey RMT
 
Quote

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Its fair to say they don't get on. Will be fun in the SKY box in the near future iof these two are on rota together. Commentary a bit like Channel 9's once and unrepeated paring of Ian Chappel and Ian Botham which lead to The angry silence

Indeed . Even before that Nicholas was saying Pope should give Broad the strike and KP said ‘ what ? did you see how he got out last game ‘ . I thought he was good to listen to mind . Said it straight , was articulate and with good insight . Big change to Ramprakash ... geez why sky keep getting him on . Pearls of cutting wisdom like ‘ broads been struggling with his batting just a bit ‘ . The truth is he’s totally gutless as a batsman , it’s embarrassing . And getting hit on the head 5 yrs back is becoming a very lame excuse. How on earth he’s above jimmy is baffling . He should be 12 really 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Indeed . Even before that Nicholas was saying Pope should give Broad the strike and KP said ‘ what ? did you see how he got out last game ‘ . I thought he was good to listen to mind . Said it straight , was articulate and with good insight . Big change to Ramprakash ... geez why sky keep getting him on . Pearls of cutting wisdom like ‘ broads been struggling with his batting just a bit ‘ . The truth is he’s totally gutless as a batsman , it’s embarrassing . And getting hit on the head 5 yrs back is becoming a very lame excuse. How on earth he’s above jimmy is baffling . He should be 12 really 

I hope to proved wrong tomorrow, but I think Jimmy is finished as a strike bowler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2020 at 19:21, Moose said:

I hope to proved wrong tomorrow, but I think Jimmy is finished as a strike bowler

🙂


"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...