What Does Your Standard Matchday Look Like

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Money spent on food and drink at kcom doesn't go to Hull FC, it goes to the stadium management company which is run by the owner of the football club and is an arm of the council. 

Sorry - as a Saints fan we are spoilt by owning our own stadium and reaping any benefits

If your club does not benefit from the drinks/catering I would share your approach re buying cheaper beer outside the ground

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Dave W said:

15000 attendance and $300k losses per game suggests they're all getting in for free and being given $20 each for the unconvenience 

I don’t think they were getting 15k, although I think I am mistaken and it was quoted as a cost of $300k to operate a Kogarah match day, not operate at a $300k loss per game. That was IIRC COO of the Dragons at the time.

Sharks CEO said in an interview this year, they require 16k to turn a profit on a match day but others since dispute that figure, quoting about 13.5k as break even. The 16k mark has been suggested by some as a rallying call to fans.

If you’d have asked this when I was a student, it would have included Megabus coaches varying in price from £1-£8, sleeping in hostels or staying out till 2.30am to get a return coach back to London, sleeping on the way home and living off McDonalds and Red Bull. 

I once also got a coach from London to Edinburgh with a mate. He had developed a keen liking to Montrose Football Club due to playing Football Manager and he drunkenly got me to agree to go with him. Being poor 18 year old students, flying was out of the question so we headed into London at about 9.30 on a Friday night to get a Megabus coach that took something stupid like 9 and a half hours. We were roaming the streets of Edinburgh at something like 7.30am on the Saturday morning before getting a train to Montrose to watch them play fourth tier Scottish Football to then get a train back to Edinburgh, after being treated like celebrities by the people of Montrose, to catch a 11.30pm coach back to London. The tube home at 8am on Sunday after about four hours sleep over the previous two nights was not the best experience of my life. 

58 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Sorry - as a Saints fan we are spoilt by owning our own stadium and reaping any benefits

If your club does not benefit from the drinks/catering I would share your approach re buying cheaper beer outside the ground

Nothing sadder than seeing 10,000 Hull FC fans all stood in tesco car park drinking cheap alcohol with the Goose before a game...

At least the away fans will get served in good time in the stadium.

Home games: wake up hungover (usually), head down to Soccer Sensations, struggle through my first beer around 12:30, have 3 or 4 more, walk to the east stand, get a beer, go to the usual spot, sing Red, Red Robin, watch Rovers go behind early, grab another beer, watch Rovers lose, have another beer in clubhouse, get a taxi to a pub, slag Rovers off ad nauseam, wake up the next day with a vague recollection of the events that led to the existing hang over.  Repeat the week after.

Away games: wake up with a hangover, get beer in the cool bag, get on coach, spend a couple of quid on the raffle, hit the pub close to the ground, get a beer inside, watch Rovers go behind, grab another beer, watch Rovers lose again, get on coach, spend 1-2 hours heading home wondering why I still do this, get back to Hull and go to pub.

get up early, check kick off time, take some light exercise in the yard, ask  one of the warders how much longer I am gonna be in for, sigh, trade some trainers for a transistor radio to listen to the match, home before everyone else.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Nothing sadder than seeing 10,000 Hull FC fans all stood in tesco car park drinking cheap alcohol with the Goose before a game...

At least the away fans will get served in good time in the stadium.

At least we have at least 10,000 fans which in modern day rugby league is highly admirable. 

It is not cheap quality alcohol that I am talking about, it is the same alcohol that is cheaper than in the ground. 

People drink in the pub not in a car park, this is not east Hull. 

People can't be drinking with me anyway cos I do not drink and do not have time to go to the pub before a game as I said earlier in the thread. 

The away fans would get served in good time even if everyone bought alcohol in the ground cos it is a modern stadium that has food and drink facilities specifically for the away fans. 

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

At least we have at least 10,000 fans which in modern day rugby league is highly admirable. 

It is not cheap quality alcohol that I am talking about, it is the same alcohol that is cheaper than in the ground. 

People drink in the pub not in a car park, this is not east Hull. 

People can't be drinking with me anyway cos I do not drink and do not have time to go to the pub before a game as I said earlier in the thread. 

The away fans would get served in good time even if everyone bought alcohol in the ground cos it is a modern stadium that has food and drink facilities specifically for the away fans. 

ok Goose - 9999 fans drinking cheap larger and you stood n your own with your flask of horlicks...... which you brought from home of course....

Have a drink and chill out goosey ?

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It would need to be cheaper. I haven't had anything alcoholic at KCOM for years but even back then a 330ml bottle of Kingstone press cider (other ciders are available) was £4.50 if I remember rightly so god knows what it is now. Exact same bottle in tesco just down the road was £1. I get a bottle of water before the game and that is £2.20, again, same bottle in tesco is 50p!

At the RA Shed iat WR Cas you pay £3:50 a pint for anything between ....3.8% blond to 6.5% porter. I'm genetically tight but this arrangement works for me. Failing that I decline any other offer and just don't bother.

(WARNING! Drinking Elland 1872 Porter may result in being utterly, utterly clueless).

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

Lunch with my son at Black Axe Mangle in Islington. Beer across the road. Then tube up to Wood Green. Nine times out of ten I’ll hop over to McDonalds for a wee. 10 min walk to New River. We normally get there for kick off. Beer in the club house at half time. Don’t normally hang around after the match. Half hour bus ride home. 

I usually arrive about 2 hours before KO. Have a sarnie and a drink. Then go check the changing rooms are clean. Then stand by the front door to the club, with my old fella, and greet the arriving players, officials and direct them to their changing rooms, also direct supporters to the bar, toilets etc. I'm also on hand to assist the players, officials and supporters with any enquires they have. Past 2 seasons I've then done a bit of a social media pre match build up then videoed the game. Afterwards i do the post match speech in the bar including MOM awards. Then i have a few pints. Before anyone asks its amateur rugby not pro. 

29 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Lunch with my son at Black Axe Mangle in Islington. Beer across the road. Then tube up to Wood Green. Nine times out of ten I’ll hop over to McDonalds for a wee. 10 min walk to New River. We normally get there for kick off. Beer in the club house at half time. Don’t normally hang around after the match. Half hour bus ride home. 

Haven't checked out how Broncos / Skolars fixtures match this year

I try to get to New River at least 3 times a year when Broncos away 

8 minutes ago, fatboystu said:

I usually arrive about 2 hours before KO. Have a sarnie and a drink. Then go check the changing rooms are clean. Then stand by the front door to the club, with my old fella, and greet the arriving players, officials and direct them to their changing rooms, also direct supporters to the bar, toilets etc. I'm also on hand to assist the players, officials and supporters with any enquires they have. Past 2 seasons I've then done a bit of a social media pre match build up then videoed the game. Afterwards i do the post match speech in the bar including MOM awards. Then i have a few pints. Before anyone asks its amateur rugby not pro. 

Ha! Thought this was an insight into a pro club for a second! 

2 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Home games: wake up hungover (usually), head down to Soccer Sensations, struggle through my first beer around 12:30, have 3 or 4 more, walk to the east stand, get a beer, go to the usual spot, sing Red, Red Robin, watch Rovers go behind early, grab another beer, watch Rovers lose, have another beer in clubhouse, get a taxi to a pub, slag Rovers off ad nauseam, wake up the next day with a vague recollection of the events that led to the existing hang over.  Repeat the week after.

Away games: wake up with a hangover, get beer in the cool bag, get on coach, spend a couple of quid on the raffle, hit the pub close to the ground, get a beer inside, watch Rovers go behind, grab another beer, watch Rovers lose again, get on coach, spend 1-2 hours heading home wondering why I still do this, get back to Hull and go to pub.

Sounds like our rule of only getting the first mid-game pint when Leigh concede a try. Sometimes though it does conflict with our “kick off is overrated” motto.

When your team aren’t doing well, I would advise against having any drinking patterns that are based on on-field events. Once made the mistake of pledging to get a pint every time Cas scored past us at Wheldon Road once. Think we lost 64-10. Similarly, we were stood on halfway with a group of Wakey fans in the cup one year and agreed between us that, whenever a try was scored, the next round would be bought by the fans of the team who conceded the try. We lost 60-0 and I spent a small fortune. To the extent that between me and my mate one of us would rejoin the back of the bar queue once we’d got served in anticipation of the next try.*

*This was at the bar on the West Terrace where you can still watch the game as you queue. 

2 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Post of the day... Good clear image of you bob bob bobbin along ?

Hopefully Matty Gee will get plenty of time for you this year. I hope even more that Abdull will lose a stone and live up to his true potential

13 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Sounds like our rule of only getting the first mid-game pint when Leigh concede a try. Sometimes though it does conflict with our “kick off is overrated” motto.

When your team aren’t doing well, I would advise against having any drinking patterns that are based on on-field events. Once made the mistake of pledging to get a pint every time Cas scored past us at Wheldon Road once. Think we lost 64-10. Similarly, we were stood on halfway with a group of Wakey fans in the cup one year and agreed between us that, whenever a try was scored, the next round would be bought by the fans of the team who conceded the try. We lost 60-0 and I spent a small fortune. To the extent that between me and my mate one of us would rejoin the back of the bar queue once we’d got served in anticipation of the next try.*

*This was at the bar on the West Terrace where you can still watch the game as you queue. 

Amazing ???

Because the games I go to are generally in France these days:  I arrange the match around buying wine, olive oil and other regional products and whether the main meal of the day will be lunch or tea? The next one is booked for the Toulouse double header so as a treat I might see if a chees shop and Tarte Julie are still open for business. 

For those with a suspect mind Tarte Julie is a patisserie. ( sort of Greggs on speed!)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived