coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's anyone on here who this'll apply to, but there's a lot of folk out there who simply won't see this properly until someone they know dies.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

12 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Getting eerily close now - plot holder on my allotment site died yesterday. He'd been taken into hospital a couple of days earlier with covid symptoms.

I don’t personally know anyone but I’ve now seen a fair few “knew their work” and “friend of a friend” deaths.

This is a horrible time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Getting eerily close now - plot holder on my allotment site died yesterday. He'd been taken into hospital a couple of days earlier with covid symptoms.

is there a waiting list for allotments? :kolobok_ph34r:

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I don’t personally know anyone but I’ve now seen a fair few “knew their work” and “friend of a friend” deaths.

This is a horrible time.

For our clinicians, many knew the GP who died in Essex and the nurse who died was from our patch. That's changed a lot of attitudes from "let's make the best of this" to "no" when being asked to do more with less.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

I thought something similar but wasn't sure whether to go there. You've now set the bar.

I was going to use the "asking for a friend" excuse  but I'm really not 

8 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Apparently the first question the site secretary asked was whether his family were giving the plot up! Sadly I also noticed that the lock on his gate had already been forced open......

The plot thickens ... ( sorry )

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I had that feeling a couple of weeks ago when my employer was still allowing hot desking but I could hear the coughing around the office and the guy I'd been sitting next to the previous week was absent with Covid like symptoms.

I've always had very good hand hygiene but I'm now OCD and I wash my hands so often that I have a band of red, dry skin around each wrist and I've got through two full tubes of hand cream in the last three weeks.

If you want a bit of perspective on that, the death rate during the 8 months of the Blitz was 165(ish) a night - obviously some nights significantly more and others less.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I had that feeling a couple of weeks ago when my employer was still allowing hot desking but I could hear the coughing around the office and the guy I'd been sitting next to the previous week was absent with Covid like symptoms.

I've always had very good hand hygiene but I'm now OCD and I wash my hands so often that I have a band of red, dry skin around each wrist and I've got through two full tubes of hand cream in the last three weeks.

I've counted today. I'm uptown 48 hand washes... and then alcohol rinse. If I didn't have a large cetraben at home and one in my pocket when at work/shopping, my hands would look like cabbage!

Advise is to use a good quality moisturiser as oft as poss and clip your finger nails.

As a chilling thought our local hospital had it's first death from Covid-19 on the 26th of march, yesterday it reported it's ninth! Seven days isn't a long time for those sort of figures to accumulate. Go on, look up your local hospitals figures to frighten yourself☹️

16 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Are the airports still open?

Think it depends where (and when) you want to go

While most airlines are grounding planes, Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) has been given permission to run several routes.

PIA will run a total of 17 international flights from 4 - 11 April. They will mainly be going between Islamabad and London, Manchester, Birmingham and Toronto, PIA confirmed to our BBC Pakistan & Afghanistan correspondent Secunder Kemani.

Flights were suspended two weeks ago with just a few hours notice as the country went into lockdown.

A number of British families have been left stranded in Pakistan and had called on the UK government to get them home.

One man, an NHS consultant, told the BBC he wanted to return as soon as possible to support his colleagues in Liverpool.

“I want to be there with my team, as frontline staff, being able to offer as much as I can in this war against coronavirus.”

For those interested, the brand new PPE standards

And the primary/community care specific ones that some on here will be keen to see

Importantly, this is now an INDIVIDUAL authority to wear or not, not an organisational one. You now have the authority to refuse to do certain things if you don't have the kit, here it is in the original big bold text from the document:

Ultimately, where staff consider there is a risk to themselves or the individuals they are caring for they should wear a fluid repellent surgical mask with or without eye protection, as determined by the individual staff member for the episode of care or single session.

She described a patient being brought in from an old people's home. He was already on a ventilator - and was "chronically vent dependent". His prospects were never great. But all she could see before her was the ventilator - and not the patient. 

"When he came in we were so desperate for vents," she told me, "all I wanted to do was get the ventilator off him. I wanted to get that vent off him to allow it to go to someone else."

Playing god is not what this young woman thought she would be doing at this stage in her career.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived