coronavirus

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Ah, I see, that's quite interesting. So it's a psychological thing, not necessarily because they are afraid of the virus itself but because of all the different information (or lack of) that is being thrown around, people are confused and panic buying things is something they can at least control and feel they are doing something positive but that is creating a cycle that leads to more people panic buying because they actually need toilet roll and are afraid its gonna run out. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Dave T said:

To be fair, there are a lot of photos shopping in bulk, and I think people should mind their own business a bit more and stop judging so much. There was a photo doing the rounds of somebody buying 50 bottles of Carex or similar, and them getting a load of abuse.

My natural instinct was to consider the fact that they were buying in bulk for the nursery, or old folks home that they work at as they are having trouble with suppliers.

I also think that the panic buying is happening by accident at times. Last week we needed loo roll, but there were no standard 4 packs, so I got a 9 pack. Then this 9 pack was on offer to encourage you to get 18 for £6 - so I suddenly left Tesco with 18 toilet rolls, when I normally buy 4!

Clearly there are some lunatics out there, but we are all in different circumstances and have to do what we have to do.

I always buy loo roll and kitchen roll from Costco - their standard pack size for their own brand Kirkland is 24x4packs in a big slab (so 96 rolls), i shove them up in the loft where they sit on the boarding by the hatch which is the only area not covered in stuff and is above the upstairs landing so they act as insulation as well. Luckily i still have about 20 rolls of each left at present so no need to rush out for more

45 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Can someone please explain to me why people are stockpiling toilet paper, I really do not understand it. From what I've seen none of the symptoms of coronavirus are diarrhea and if it's cos they're gonna be self isolating how long are they expecting to be stuck in their house? That pic above, they look like the 24pcks and she must have up to 10, how much pooing does this person/family do?

Clearly there are a lot of a$@eholes in her family.

3 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

I can beat that

Played Onion on Saturday, hand sanitizer on the bar in clubhouse and all round the toilets but we all shared the same 8 water bottles on the pitch

And spent 80 minutes passing a ball between themselves 

19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And spent 80 minutes passing a ball between themselves 

no we only managed about 5 passes each time before someone knocked it on and we had a scrum where we shared moist breath for a bit. If you think any level i play at could manage to pass the ball for 80 mins you are mistaken, 80s maybe

At the moment 111 don't want to hear from you unless you have been to specific countries, have a known contact with a positive carrier or you are dying.  

I understand they will be overwhelmed, but this means there might be underreporting.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

16 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

Tesco are rationing anti bac gel, anti bac wipes, anti bac spray, bleach, hand wash, dried pasta, long life milk, tinned veg, kids medicine and water. 5 per customer.

Must be a regional thing, our big Tesco are limiting you to three packets of pasta, and 3 anti bac hand lotions. Everything else ok, even toilet rolls.  One of their staff said they have plenty of stock, and more being delivered, " It's being caused by idiots who are panicking", (her words) .

21 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

At the moment 111 don't want to hear from you unless you have been to specific countries, have a known contact with a positive carrier or you are dying.  

I understand they will be overwhelmed, but this means there might be underreporting.  

And there's no specific number for clinicians to call to ask about symptoms in themselves either. They have the same criteria as normal patients despite seeing a day full of sick people every day.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

53 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Must be a regional thing, our big Tesco are limiting you to three packets of pasta, and 3 anti bac hand lotions. Everything else ok, even toilet rolls.  One of their staff said they have plenty of stock, and more being delivered, " It's being caused by idiots who are panicking", (her words) .

Fair enough, those are the lines in the store I work in. 

The shelves aren't bare, but it's noticeable.

There may be a minor issue with the plan to recruit former medical and nursing staff to bolster the NHS if needed. They don't want to return! 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/majority-of-retired-nhs-staff-dont-want-to-return-to-tackle-covid-19-crisis

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

42 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

There may be a minor issue with the plan to recruit former medical and nursing staff to bolster the NHS if needed. They don't want to return! 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/majority-of-retired-nhs-staff-dont-want-to-return-to-tackle-covid-19-crisis

Some do.  I've seen and read interviews with former health professionals who have said they would definitely return as they would want to help.  Don't believe everything that you read in the Guardian.  That paper has its particular axe to grind.  I'm quite sure that if Labour was in power, the Guardian would be reporting on how loads of health professionals are keen to help out!

5 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

Fair enough, those are the lines in the store I work in. 

The shelves aren't bare, but it's noticeable.

Reports today suggest that following a couple of conference calls with supermarket CEOs over the last week or so the government is due to relax rules around night time lorry transports so that supermarkets can restock overnight with the essentials.  There are also plans for increasing click and collect services to help people who are self-isolating.

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

Some do.  I've seen and read interviews with former health professionals who have said they would definitely return as they would want to help.  Don't believe everything that you read in the Guardian.  That paper has its particular axe to grind.  I'm quite sure that if Labour was in power, the Guardian would be reporting on how loads of health professionals are keen to help out!

I agree, far better to stick to the Mail, Express &  Torygraph for a balanced view?

6 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I'm fairly sure there will be under-reporting, not least because (a) some people get no symptoms and so wouldn't realise they needed to call 111 in the first place, and (b) some people get symptoms akin to a cold or mild flu and so likewise probably wouldn't think of calling 111.  Likewise I'm sure it is difficult for people on the end of a phone to confirm whether someone has Covid 19 or a cold/the flu when some of the symptoms are so similar.  Given that the government foresee a time soon when anyone with any respiratory infection or fever of any kind will be asked to self-isolate then that will clear things up!  Just now though there aren't enough cases to make that approach viable.

6 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I'm sure some would. I'm not stupid enough to believe their won't be a mix of opinions amongst ex-NHS employees. I've yet to see any statement from a government official however that reflects the reality that they need to pursuade and ask nicely, rather than just make statements that just appear to glibly assume it's a magic solution to solving the staffing shortfall. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

8 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Reports today suggest that following a couple of conference calls with supermarket CEOs over the last week or so the government is due to relax rules around night time lorry transports so that supermarkets can restock overnight with the essentials.  There are also plans for increasing click and collect services to help people who are self-isolating.

My shop opens 6am-10pm so get me on them nights filling with no customers  lovely.

1 hour ago, gazza77 said:

I’m sure quite a few current staff of retirement age will also choose retirement rather than work through a potentially dangerous pandemic.

35 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Given that the government foresee a time soon when anyone with any respiratory infection or fever of any kind will be asked to self-isolate then that will clear things up!  Just now though there aren't enough cases to make that approach viable.

If the government foresees a time when that will be necessary they should do it now rather than delay.

Rather than come out with the absolute bull**** deflection they did about Italy taking populist action.

24 minutes ago, Copa said:

I’m sure quite a few current staff of retirement age will also choose retirement rather than work through a potentially dangerous pandemic.

There are issues with insurance and lapsed qualifications too.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

This is the bit that confuses me today -

In next 10-14 days everyone with minor infection/fever will be asked must self isolate for wk

Why wait till then?  My HR have said I'm ok to come into work, my line manager has suggested I take a couple of days off.  I'm taking a couple off.  

Italy putting some very restrictive measures down.  Unprecedented?

Archived