Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

2 things: 1, In times like these It might be better to drink it while you still can!

2, Shouldn't you be drinking Grey Goose?

That is just sick!


"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think the stockpiling behaviour is being overstated. At the moment, everyone is complaining about it - so who is actually doing it then? IMHO I expect most of us are contributing to the empty shelves. If you have upped your buying at all, you are playing your part. 

I know I have. I spent around a hundred quid on our main shop last week, that would normally be around £60-70. I will need to go out tonight again and get more stuff. I expect my average weekly spend will increase by up to 50% at the moment. 

I mentioned to my mum on the phone the other day that I can't get Paracetamol anywhere near me, I have now had 4 packs delivered and many more bought down in Warrington ready to be posted to me in case of emergency!!!

Stockpiling isn't something that everyone else is doing, many of us are upping our purchases, it is all having a knock on effect on the stock levels. And we all sit tutting and moaning about others!

I went out the the shops before to grab a sandwich for dinner. As I walked out I asked my housemate if she wanted anything. She replied that I could pick up some toilet roll, y'know just in case because she's not seen much. She bought a pack of 9 on Saturday. 

I suspect that more people than would care to admit are doing that as opposed to walking out with 50 rolls. But it all contributes to the empty shelves.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The policy on pubs is a dog's breakfast. You've just told everyone to not go, but you've also refused to order the pubs to do anything, meaning they can't claim on their insurance.

Two ways this goes, I guess: either pubs get ordered to open for restricted hours, or they get told to close completely. Otherwise they all just go bust anyway.

Cheers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I went out the the shops before to grab a sandwich for dinner. As I walked out I asked my housemate if she wanted anything. She replied that I could pick up some toilet roll, y'know just in case because she's not seen much. She bought a pack of 9 on Saturday. 

I suspect that more people than would care to admit are doing that as opposed to walking out with 50 rolls. But it all contributes to the empty shelves.

Spot on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instruction to public, don't go to the pub/restaurant.

Instruction to pubs/restaurants you don't have to close.

So if nobody comes in to your establishment, you go bust.

No insurance claim.

  • Like 4

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

The policy on pubs is a dog's breakfast. You've just told everyone to not go, but you've also refused to order the pubs to do anything, meaning they can't claim on their insurance.

Two ways this goes, I guess: either pubs get ordered to open for restricted hours, or they get told to close completely. Otherwise they all just go bust anyway.

Cheers.

Just posted the same thing.

  • Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I've joined the craziness. I bought profiteroles. On a Monday night. 

Eff it. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I went out the the shops before to grab a sandwich for dinner. As I walked out I asked my housemate if she wanted anything. She replied that I could pick up some toilet roll, y'know just in case because she's not seen much. She bought a pack of 9 on Saturday. 

I suspect that more people than would care to admit are doing that as opposed to walking out with 50 rolls. But it all contributes to the empty shelves.

Not so sure, as the speed at which shelves empty would suggest over exuberance to say the least...

anyway I knew things were serious when I went to throw the chicken carcass away and the missus scream and came rushing over to stop me binning.... I'm making soup with that...

Gosh takes me back as when we didn't have two pennies to spend and had the eek out the food,,,,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Padge said:

Instruction to public, don't go to the pub/restaurant.

Instruction to pubs/restaurants you don't have to close.

So if nobody comes in to your establishment, you go bust.

No insurance claim.

it goes beyond that... i.e. hairdressers, beauty salons, retail, gyms, etc ... Not sure why the only focus on Pubs/Restaurants to be impacted.

I also suspect insurance may not cover anyway as in a national emergency context or freak occurrence type scenario... ... that is the small print

I guess could look to minimise as local  pub here has introduced meal delivery, but that won't help waiting staff... something that seem to have gone down well in our village...so to speak

Edited by redjonn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Not so sure, as the speed at which shelves empty would suggest over exuberance to say the least...

anyway I knew things were serious when I went to throw the chicken carcass away and the missus scream and came rushing over to stop me binning.... I'm making soup with that...

Gosh takes me back as when we didn't have two pennies to spend and had the eek out the food,,,,

You can get a lot of people in a supermarket. It doesn't take that high a percentage to decided to grab an extra bag of pasta or toilet roll to empty those shelves much quicker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, glossop saint said:

You can get a lot of people in a supermarket. It doesn't take that high a percentage to decided to grab an extra bag of pasta or toilet roll to empty those shelves much quicker.

people are hitting the supermarket sooner than normal... so more footfall and hence could be right... but I think all supermarkets need to limit purchases to some extent taking account that some may be doing extra purchases for vulnerable... at least uptil the panic buying/hoarding lessens

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I'm going on a short shift. Scarlet Heights reunion gig in the Ginger Goose is a must but the beer's electropap anyway so I'll have alcohol-free bottles, then a couple of proper pints in the Lord Clyde.

Semi Final of a Quiz competition in the evening so will have have to be soberish anyway.

I saw Scarlet Heights last year, still good and a staple of St Pats in Bradford. They used to play the Midland Hotel and it was total chaos, brilliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well, I've joined the craziness. I bought profiteroles. On a Monday night. 

Eff it. 

Were they the only thing left? ??

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, redjonn said:

it goes beyond that... i.e. hairdressers, beauty salons, retail, gyms, etc ... Not sure why the only focus on Pubs/Restaurants to be impacted.

I also suspect insurance may not cover anyway as in a national emergency context or freak occurrence type scenario... ... that is the small print

I guess could look to minimise as local  pub here has introduced meal delivery, but that won't help waiting staff... something that seem to have gone down well in our village...so to speak

If the government tells you to close that is not Force Majuere.


Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Padge said:

If the government tells you to close that is not Force Majuere.

Force majeure is usually a way for one party or the other to get out of a contract, not bind them to it.

Most insurance policies for businesses specifically exclude things like this COVID-19, only the more expensive ones cover it.


"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ckn said:

Force majeure is usually a way for one party or the other to get out of a contract, not bind them to it.

Most insurance policies for businesses specifically exclude things like this COVID-19, only the more expensive ones cover it.

If the government forces businesses to close and it isn't because your business is a hive of Covid-19 virus, I think you have a dammed good claim on your insurance or valid case suing the government.

Especially if they compensate some businesses and not others.

The move seems to be extremely cynical.


Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Padge said:

If the government forces businesses to close and it isn't because your business is a hive of Covid-19 virus, I think you have a dammed good claim on your insurance or valid case suing the government.

Especially if they compensate some businesses and not others.

The move seems to be extremely cynical.

That's why it's damnably odd the way Johnson phrased this as advice rather than orders.


"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Padge said:

If the government forces businesses to close and it isn't because your business is a hive of Covid-19 virus, I think you have a dammed good claim on your insurance or valid case suing the government.

Especially if they compensate some businesses and not others.

The move seems to be extremely cynical.

The Government has made covid-19 a "notifiable disease"  to help it easier for insurance claims.

Never-the-less the cover will depend up the nature of the insurance cover you have as in “definable” and “undefinable” risk.

Anyway making it a notifiable disease was and is to make insurance payments easier.  That is as distinct from being cynical they took steps to make i easier to claim.

Whether they need to more is an open question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Australian Capital Territory (Canberra) is planning for a 20% infection rate... 84000 infections, 4200 requiring intensive care and 840 deaths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ckn said:

That's why it's damnably odd the way Johnson phrased this as advice rather than orders.

well if he was phrasing it to mean something more cynical..... it wouldn't be helping the government it would be helping insurance companies. That is if insurance companies are not paying,  it without doubt means more for the government to pay out, as they will certainly being doing government support of some sort as things progress.

So not sure of the logic unless looking for  conspiracy theories which by nature can never be proven.

Edited by redjonn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run a club,  i don't know if we should open or not tomorrow night.  We've sold a load of tickets.  Online half our customers want us to open the other half think given current advice it would be irresponsible.  Our staff are split too (most need the cash) i have other bills to pay.  so?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really weird. I'm advised not to go to the pub, and yet the pub is advised they are not being told to close. Things being what they are, I wouldn't go in when it's likely to be busy but this evening I went to my favourite local (I live in York, I have many locals) and had a pint or three, before I'd heard the advice. I'm quite happy to sit in the corner and observe my social distance. I'm sure I will continue to do that while the place is still open. 

The test will come on the weekend when regardless of any advice York will fill with folks wanting a night out. I'd prefer restricted hours, selfishly, but it looks inevitable closures will have to be enforced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Copa said:

The Australian Capital Territory (Canberra) is planning for a 20% infection rate... 84000 infections, 4200 requiring intensive care and 840 deaths.

840 will be an extra 6 feet Down Under.

  • Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member



×
×
  • Create New...