Israel Folau

fevnut

Just now, Dave T said:

I don't want a fake apology, I am pointing out that he isn't sorry for his comments.

Not meaning to cause offence, and 'just my beliefs' are not a great defence - think of the worst view you can spout, and then apply those as the defence, it aint a great one. 

He offered to apologise for the hurts he caused 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I agree with you here.

But what I’m saying is should somebody who, for example, strongly backs the KKK, be allowed to play RL for a living as long as they keep it to themselves? Or should we question players and ban accordingly? 
Should it apply only to people airing their views?

Again, if you keep your views to yourself, how would anyone know? Folau could have gone to mass and these churches publicly where these views were spouted and nobody would have said anything. Once you stand up and start to preach, you leave yourself open, and many employers don't want that. I know I am not allowed to spout anti-gay stuff on my social media for example. 

On the ban piece, I actually think that the RFL and SLE have done the right thing. I'm not a fan of banning people from the game indefinitely, particularly if their 'offence' did not happen when they played RL. I think we should offer the chance for rehabilitation and employment, and we have seen many young lads make mistakes and then go on to be absolute role models - Adrian Morley for one example. I'm not a fan of the NRL approach that just throws out bans willy nilly, without a real consistent policy, it leaves you open to some of the defences we have seen on this thread.

I think it is ultimately up to the clubs, and I think Catalans have made a bad choice, and I would be very disappointed if Warrington made the choice to hire him. But I think clubs should be allowed to live and die by their own choices. They will answer to their fans, sponsors, partners etc. 

36 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Where has he stated this ?

The fact he tweeted "Hell awaits Homosexuals"

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

Israel Folau has the chance to turn his signing into a positive. If he stops making offensive remarks on the social media, and manages to regain his pre-rugby union form, or at least 80% of it, he will become one of the most admired stars of the game. At that point many formerly lukewarm rugby league fans will start watching Catalans on television, and even turn up to a stadium, to watch him play.

1 minute ago, Manfred Mann said:

Israel Folau has the chance to turn his signing into a positive. If he stops making offensive remarks on the social media, and manages to regain his pre-rugby union form, or at least 80% of it, he will become one of the most admired stars of the game. At that point many formerly lukewarm rugby league fans will start watching Catalans on television, and even turn up to a stadium, to watch him play.

He's only on a 1 year deal! Can he do that in 9 months?

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

He's only on a 1 year deal! Can he do that in 9 months?

Obviously we don't know for sure. But I think that it is possible.

I think that the one year deal was a reflection of the tentativeness of the Catalans management in deciding to sign him. If he behaves himself and performs well over the next nine months I can foresee him getting a renewal of his Catalans contract for another year or longer -- assuming of course that French or Japanese rugby union don't sign him first.

3 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

I think a lot of people have quickly forgotten about Tyson Fury's views which led for a call to be banned from the BBC Sports Personality awards, only for him to become a bit of a media darling in the past year.

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't want a fake apology, I am pointing out that he isn't sorry for his comments.

Not meaning to cause offence, and 'just my beliefs' are not a great defence - think of the worst view you can spout, and then apply those as the defence, it aint a great one. 

And I am pointing out he has done and said things which are positive but you don’t want to accept that. Which makes me wonder is it genuine outrage? Or not? If people are rightly offended then they also should accept the positives if not then it’s just an agenda and nothing Folau will do will make a difference.

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I think a lot of people have quickly forgotten about Tyson Fury's views which led for a call to be banned from the BBC Sports Personality awards, only for him to become a bit of a media darling in the past year.

At least he publicly apologised and said what he said was wrong. Folau hasn't done that.

3 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Good point Fury has said much worse things.

13 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

The fact he tweeted "Hell awaits Homosexuals"

That isn't the same as saying LBGT people aren't welcome in RL , he has stated his belief of what happens after everybody's ' final whistle ' , not what he wants before that 

Did your friend choose their sexuality ?

Does anybody choose their religion ?

8 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I think a lot of people have quickly forgotten about Tyson Fury

Nope.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Again, if you keep your views to yourself, how would anyone know? Folau could have gone to mass and these churches publicly where these views were spouted and nobody would have said anything. Once you stand up and start to preach, you leave yourself open, and many employers don't want that. I know I am not allowed to spout anti-gay stuff on my social media for example. 

On the ban piece, I actually think that the RFL and SLE have done the right thing. I'm not a fan of banning people from the game indefinitely, particularly if their 'offence' did not happen when they played RL. I think we should offer the chance for rehabilitation and employment, and we have seen many young lads make mistakes and then go on to be absolute role models - Adrian Morley for one example. I'm not a fan of the NRL approach that just throws out bans willy nilly, without a real consistent policy, it leaves you open to some of the defences we have seen on this thread.

I think it is ultimately up to the clubs, and I think Catalans have made a bad choice, and I would be very disappointed if Warrington made the choice to hire him. But I think clubs should be allowed to live and die by their own choices. They will answer to their fans, sponsors, partners etc. 

They just employed somebody with an animal ' fetish ' , nice 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And apologised, tried to make amends and moved on. 

Folau isn't on step 1 yet.

Fury’s comments were much much worse about gays, women, Jews etc and for him just to apologise and say I didn’t mean to cause offence is enough for you then you should cut Folau some slack. Fury is Christian so his apology is fake.

18 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

He said offensive homophobic comments while employed by Australia RU. They gave him a formal written warning and released a statement that was agreed with Folau that the comments were wrong, apologies were made and he remained a RU player. Then Folau just said it all again.

Making offensive remarks is in Folau's DNA, it defines his deeply held beliefs. 

He might manage to last a one-year contract without saying anything offensive that's new but what odds would you put on that happening? 

Personally, I think he's perfectly entitled to air any opinion he likes, and people are perfectly entitled to respond to those opinions appropriately. Employing him is not the correct response if you strongly disagree with those views.

47 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Even here in Australia it's mostly manufactured outrage. The vast majority of your average punters (at least 70%) couldn't give a what some loony fundamentalist says.

Which leads to a more interesting question: How is it that people in such an extreme minority of political and philosophical thought have come to have so much power in society? 

The left is running rampant and everyone is scared to say anything to them, there is 4% of men in the UK that are gay apparently , how many of that % are interested in RL I’ve no idea. The BBC are leading the charge on everything left as far as I see , if we say it’s ok to be obese or identify as a transgender penguin we are heading down a path that looks very dangerous to me. Old school values are not ALL wrong and people should be able to stand up to say that without been shot down.

1 minute ago, Bert1 said:

Fury’s comments were much much worse about gays, women, Jews etc and for him just to apologise and say I didn’t mean to cause offence is enough for you then you should cut Folau some slack. Fury is Christian so his apology is fake.

Fury has apologised, distanced himself from the comments, said he was wrong and attempted to make amends. Things that Folau crucially has not done.

Regardless, no rugby league club has signed Tyson Fury. One has signed Israel Folau

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

That isn't the same as saying LBGT people aren't welcome in RL , he has stated his belief of what happens after everybody's ' final whistle ' , not what he wants before that 

It's not as black and white as that though is it.

Yes, he hasn't said gay people are bot welcome in RL but he has said they need to 'repent' in order to save their eternal souls.

The idea that gay people need to repent inherently shows that he (and all fundamental Christians plus other religions) believe that being gay is wrong and being gay is wrong and unnatural. 

It is these types of messages about homosexuality being wrong and unnatural, perpetuated by the influence of the church, which breeds intolerance and more dangerous homophobia. 

Folau may sincerely believe what he is saying is saving people's souls but the underlying message is that homosexuality is wrong and sinful which is not the message that a progressive and inclusive sport such as Rugby League should be associated with.

Rugby League should welcome all people and that includes fundamental Christians but that should not be a license for these people to then publicly label other parts of our community as sinful or unnatural. 

Folau has done this but not under the banner of Rugby League. 

I would prefer we didn't welcome him in but as he is here I hope he remains the hypocrite he has shown himself to be and keeps his mouth shut.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

16 minutes ago, Bert1 said:

And I am pointing out he has done and said things which are positive but you don’t want to accept that. Which makes me wonder is it genuine outrage? Or not? If people are rightly offended then they also should accept the positives if not then it’s just an agenda and nothing Folau will do will make a difference.

I'm not really sure of the point you are making.

1 minute ago, iangidds said:

The left is running rampant and everyone is scared to say anything to them, there is 4% of men in the UK that are gay apparently , how many of that % are interested in RL I’ve no idea. The BBC are leading the charge on everything left as far as I see , if we say it’s ok to be obese or identify as a transgender penguin we are heading down a path that looks very dangerous to me. Old school values are not ALL wrong and people should be able to stand up to say that without been shot down.

Look at the demonisation of Jordan Peterson. He was smeared, misrepresented and no-platformed for having the 'audacity' to say the Left were getting out of control.

Archived