Israel Folau

fevnut

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

What did they do then? Please don't mention the 'educational course'. 

Afaik Hardaker met the ref he called names to face to face and apologised there too, did do a course and did work in the community with his club.

Fury has managed to change his public image.

Regardless, catalans haven't signed Hardaker or Fury, they've signed an unrepentant Israel Folau.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, gingerjon said:

My opinion of him is broadly unchanged. Don't really like him and thought the BBC approach around SPOTY was the right one. This supposed rehabilitation of him as a 'character' I can do without. Plenty of people box, plenty of people have tough backgrounds and plenty of people manage not to, as you say, go full Rothschild conspiracy with added extras.

Yeah I certainly think the media have conveniently conflated his personally held views with his mental health problems to pass it off as in someway acceptable. Let's hope we don't find out that Folau has been suffering from a similar affliction otherwise we might all have to forgive and forget........

53 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Did your friend choose their sexuality ?

Does anybody choose their religion ?

No but you can choose how you express your beliefs in public.

This is particularly pertinent for professional sportsmen & women as they are often seen as 'role models' for young people to look up to and aspire to become. Holding extreme views rarely fits with most professional sports as most have active plans to include minority groups and people who suffer prejudice & persecution.

Rugby League as a professional body has its own policies for inclusivity and anyone who participates in the sport should recognize and abide by them. People like Folau are free to hold whatever personal view they like but if they want to participate in this sport then they should respect and abide by the sports own guidelines & policies. If they can't the go ply your trade elsewhere.

St.Helens - The Home of Rugby Champions

Saints Men's team - Triple Champions & Double Winners ; Saints Women's team - Treble Winners ; Thatto Heath - National Conference Champions

46 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Your club employed a player who smeared peanut butter on his todger and then filmed his dog licking it off , the point is there's all sorts of strange people out there with some very strange ideas about what's right or wrong , just where do you draw the line ? 

I've addressed this point though, and it is why I'm not in favour of a ban, because what upsets some people will make others laugh and so on. People have their own morals and will make their own judgements and clubs will live or die by their own decisions. 

I, for example, thought Adrian Morley should have been banned from playing for GB for drink driving when GB were sponsored by road safety campaigns. 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Afaik Hardaker met the ref he called names to face to face and apologised there too, did do a course and did work in the community with his club.

Regardless, catalans haven't signed Hardaker or Fury, they've signed an unrepentant Israel Folau.

FWIW Tommy I'm on the side of giving all these kinds of people another chance - I just think the level of outrage against Folau is disproportionate considering what's gone before. The common theme which ever side of this you're on seems to suggest Folau's biggest mistake was making these comments publicly - I agree. So, him now saying that won't happen again I don't see what more he can do? Yes he could give an apology but that would no doubt be heavily criticised in itself at this stage. 

25 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think should apologise and take back what he said, remove the social media posts and then find a job in Japanese RU or wherever. He'll be gone from our comp by the end of October to a payday in French or Japanese RU and we'll have been left with all the bad press and our reputation for being a friendly space tarnished.

I haven't followed this story but,did he actually speak on the matter,or did he just post on Instagram a quote from the Bible.That's the Bible which was the best selling book around the world - a world where Christians were thrown to the lions.

Your wish to exile someone perhaps guilty of 'hurty words' differs from the owner of Wigan,who wishes to give chances to those who do what some,including criminal courts,consider to be wrong.

I think the future conduct of Wigan will be interesting.I noticed the suggestion that they play YMCA should Wigan score a try at the Pride Day game.I'm sure I read that YMCA was stereotyping gay people;with the moustaches and leather and 'camp' gestures.Not that I can remember that far back.Will they be playing Tom Robinson Band,'Glad to Be Gay'? Controversial;bearing in mind Tom Robinson later married and fathered a child.

An inclusive sport should be exactly that - inclusive.Do you wish all those who read,and quote,and understand the Bible to be exiled?

Just as well JJB has retired.Should he be allowed a position with the media?

Should those who like a bet,turn out when Toulouse are in town and wave BETFRED banners about? I believe there are some folk who have a dislike for Muslims.

How about an end game where we learn ' Sticks and stones ....'.We learn to live and let live? Now we have so many non-believers,and non-Christians,Britain no longer shuts down for a fortnight in December and January and the country works,especially in austere times. 

We go to rugby league games to forget about the outside world and its problems and watch the best players play the sport and not being interested,or prejudiced,by their sexuality,beliefs and quotes,or reproductions,from books. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Just now, Angelic Cynic said:

I haven't followed this story but,did he actually speak on the matter,or did he just post on Instagram a quote from the Bible.That's the Bible which was the best selling book around the world - a world where Christians were thrown to the lions.

Your wish to exile someone perhaps guilty of 'hurty words' differs from the owner of Wigan,who wishes to give chances to those who do what some,including criminal courts,consider to be wrong.

I think the future conduct of Wigan will be interesting.I noticed the suggestion that they play YMCA should Wigan score a try at the Pride Day game.I'm sure I read that YMCA was stereotyping gay people;with the moustaches and leather and 'camp' gestures.Not that I can remember that far back.Will they be playing Tom Robinson Band,'Glad to Be Gay'? Controversial;bearing in mind Tom Robinson later married and fathered a child.

An inclusive sport should be exactly that - inclusive.Do you wish all those who read,and quote,and understand the Bible to be exiled?

Just as well JJB has retired.Should he be allowed a position with the media?

Should those who like a bet,turn out when Toulouse are in town and wave BETFRED banners about? I believe there are some folk who have a dislike for Muslims.

How about an end game where we learn ' Sticks and stones ....'.We learn to live and let live? Now we have so many non-believers,and non-Christians,Britain no longer shuts down for a fortnight in December and January and the country works,especially in austere times. 

We go to rugby league games to forget about the outside world and its problems and watch the best players play the sport and not being interested,or prejudiced,by their sexuality,beliefs and quotes,or reproductions,from books. 

He's done a number of preaching including saying that the Australian Bushfires were God's Vengeance for legalising gay marriage

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

FWIW Tommy I'm on the side of giving all these kinds of people another chance - I just think the level of outrage against Folau is disproportionate considering what's gone before. The common theme which ever side of this you're on seems to suggest Folau's biggest mistake was making these comments publicly - I agree. So, him now saying that won't happen again I don't see what more he can do? Yes he could give an apology but that would no doubt be heavily criticised in itself at this stage. 

I don't mind second chances either, but I think there has to be a point where as a club and a sport you decide how much you want your name associated with certain things. We didn't have to be in this situation - that is what frustrates me most

1 minute ago, Bert1 said:

We are moving into testing times. Western liberalism vs religious/personal beliefs. Look at those schools in Birmingham where the parents didn’t want LGBTQ taught. 

There's always been that tension. Its coming around again now for a number of reasons including immigration. The past tells us that Liberal Democracy tends to flatten religious or personal beliefs in the end.

6 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Will they be playing Tom Robinson Band,'Glad to Be Gay'? Controversial;bearing in mind Tom Robinson later married and fathered a child.

Robinson still sings it, still calls himself gay (albeit one who fell in love with a woman as part of "late onset bisexuality"), and it was two children, not one (I think).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Robinson still sings it, still calls himself gay (albeit one who fell in love with a woman as part of "late onset bisexuality"), and it was two children, not one (I think).

You could tell the gay people at Tom Robinson gigs, they were the ones not singing. 

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

YMCA and Village People are gay? Since when??? ?

I have a memory of one of the Village People being "inned".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There's always been that tension. Its coming around again now for a number of reasons including immigration. The past tells us that Liberal Democracy tends to flatten religious or personal beliefs in the end.

Does it? Give an example relevant to Britain now?

3 hours ago, Moove said:

Interesting you should mention Rochdale given they've just signed someone who only last month was convicted of assaulting his girlfriend, punching her and forcing his hand down her throat.

Whilst deploring what Folau said, RLs moral compass is totally messed up.

Completely agree with you...not a wisemove at all...in my opinion. Why anyone would want the bloke in their dressing room is a mysteryto me.

34 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

What is it Israel should be repentant for?

1 hour ago, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

In his rant he also included atheists and drunks - so probably the majority of users of this forum are damned to hell.

How does damning an Atheist to hell work? It’s like telling an adult Santa Clause won’t be delivering any presents because they've been naughty.

Archived