Israel Folau

fevnut

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Saying Hell awaits gay people and that legalising marriage between them has caused the Australian bushfires

I can’t find a quote anywhere that he said legalising gay marriage caused the bushfires. Just opinions of journalists that have suggested that his comments related to gay people. I quote Israel...

“Look how rapid these bushfires, these droughts, all these things have come, in a short period of time. You think it's a coincidence or not? God is speaking to you guys. Australia, you need to repent."

not one mention of gay people. As for declaring he’ll awaits gay people, a quote from the world’s most published book...

Corinthians 6: 9-11

“Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers—none of these will inherit the kingdom of God.”

How can one man’s direct reference to a passage from the bible be something he should be repentant for?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The simple measure for me is exchange gay for another group such as people of colour.

Is it offensive now?  if you answer yes then it offensive for all groups.

Really disappointed that there isn't a code of conduct for clubs to follow and that the RFL/Sl don't have any teeth 

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

I can’t find a quote anywhere that he said legalising gay marriage caused the bushfires. Just opinions of journalists that have suggested that his comments related to gay people. I quote Israel...

“Look how rapid these bushfires, these droughts, all these things have come, in a short period of time. You think it's a coincidence or not? God is speaking to you guys. Australia, you need to repent."

not one mention of gay people. As for declaring he’ll awaits gay people, a quote from the world’s most published book...

“Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers—none of these will inherit the kingdom of God.”

How can one man’s direct reference to a passage from the bible be something he should be repentant for?

There's a video of him saying it. 

The bible is there for interpretation - its through our own free will and good sense that we can interpret it. If the Pope thinks you're too conservative with your interpretation then you probably are.

There's a video of him saying it. 

The bible is there for interpretation - its through our own free will and good sense that we can interpret it. If the Pope thinks you're too conservative with your interpretation then you probably are.

I don’t think there is a video of him saying it at all. Certainly one has never been aired that I have seen. By all means, show me.

I think what he said was more ridiculous than anything else. What he's said was his opinion based on what he believes. Personally i think anyone with such a strong sense belief in such things as heaven and hell is quite laughable, but again, thats just my opinion, nothing more.

You can't force people to share your values or to care about others to the same degree as you. 

Saying the Australian bushfires are 'gods' doing, shows how ridiculous the bloke is.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

13 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t think there is a video of him saying it at all. Certainly one has never been aired that I have seen. By all means, show me.

There's loads, do a google search. Its a fairly long sermon but he says "gay marriage is wrong", "the droughts and bushfires aren't a coincidence" and that they are "God's punishment". He has also done as far as I can tell nothing to suggest this was not his intended message if there has been a misunderstanding.

29 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You're not allowed to be christian on social media anymore. Kerevi (Australian union international) was forced to apologise for saying "I love Jesus" on Instagram recently. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't mind second chances either, but I think there has to be a point where as a club and a sport you decide how much you want your name associated with certain things. We didn't have to be in this situation - that is what frustrates me most

I don't want to go back over the misdemeanours of others that have/still play(ed) our sport but the list is long and doesn't make for good reading. What I actually think our sport prides itself on is many example of successful rehabilitation of said players. So I ask this - if Folau plays our game in our league, causes no further controversy, complies with all our rules and regulations and as is anticipated actually provides entertainment on the field would that show a suitable level of contrition in your mind? 

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I don't want to go back over the misdemeanours of others that have/still play(ed) our sport but the list is long and doesn't make for good reading. What I actually think our sport prides itself on is many example of successful rehabilitation of said players. So I ask this - if Folau plays our game in our league, causes no further controversy, complies with all our rules and regulations and as is anticipated actually provides entertainment on the field would that show a suitable level of contrition in your mind? 

It depends how much damage has been done to the sports reputation by then. We've been in the headlines for all the wrong reasons after what has been a pretty good off season - I'd have rather he did this "next step" elsewhere.

39 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I bet he can't wait for Magic Weekend, or indeed bumping in to any away fans in Perpignan.

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Decent analysis there, pretty much where I am (more or less) and I’d rather have they hadn’t gone here in the first place. 
It’s definitely a bit of a moral maze because let’s imagine he had those views but didn’t air them publicly, would that be acceptable? Do we start making players sign some sort of declaration about what they do or don’t believe in?

But at the same time, not naming an individual doesn’t mean he’s free to express any views.  If he’d said ‘I hate blacks’ that wouldn’t be picking on an individual but still wrong and unacceptable. (Obviously perhaps)

Fully agree with this, its how I feel about it too. I would much rather he wasn't in our sport, but he hasn't brought the game into disrepute in any way so I don`t know how we can withhold his playing license. Its what I meant about the tolerant liberals, they demand tolerance of all people and their exclusivity. Then someone like Folaui makes his statement and they dogpile and demand his life is destroyed. It happens constantly now on social media, which is an absolute cesspit of anonymity.

9 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

You're not allowed to be christian on social media anymore. Kerevi (Australian union international) was forced to apologise for saying "I love Jesus" on Instagram recently. 

Link to that one please? 

39 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

The simple measure for me is exchange gay for another group such as people of colour.

Is it offensive now?  if you answer yes then it offensive for all groups.

Really disappointed that there isn't a code of conduct for clubs to follow and that the RFL/Sl don't have any teeth 

Yes it might be offensive if he said a colour of people , it might be offensive if he said all lancastrians should burn in hell! He is quoting verses from the bible that him and many others believe in; it may not be palatable for some to hear these views as can be said for those who believe in the teachings of the bible and other religions.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

None had the profile to damage the game here in this way and you know it. Shouldn't have gone near him.

I dont understand this attitude, are you genuinely not bothered by what those other players did because they arent known enough to ruin the profile of RL? 

41 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Full transcript of Folau’s invective

Your quote is very selective. Folau frequently links gay marriage to the fires in Australia and refers to it as evil. There is also a video of the full sermon available at that link.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

I dont understand this attitude, are you genuinely not bothered by what those other players did because they arent known enough to ruin the profile of RL? 

Its not that I'm not bothered at all, that isn't what I said.

2 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Yes it might be offensive if he said a colour of people , it might be offensive if he said all lancastrians should burn in hell! He is quoting verses from the bible that him and many others believe in; it may not be palatable for some to hear these views as can be said for those who believe in the teachings of the bible and other religions.

Religion isn't an excuse for bigotry. Just because the bible says something doesn't mean that it's acceptable to say.

Its not that I'm not bothered at all, that isn't what I said.

So what did you mean by ""None had the profile to damage the game here in this way and you know it."? I`m not picking a fight here by the way, I just didnt understand your point.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

No but you can choose how you express your beliefs in public.

This is particularly pertinent for professional sportsmen & women as they are often seen as 'role models' for young people to look up to and aspire to become. Holding extreme views rarely fits with most professional sports as most have active plans to include minority groups and people who suffer prejudice & persecution.

Rugby League as a professional body has its own policies for inclusivity and anyone who participates in the sport should recognize and abide by them. People like Folau are free to hold whatever personal view they like but if they want to participate in this sport then they should respect and abide by the sports own guidelines & policies. If they can't the go ply your trade elsewhere.

To be honest I would rather my children led a life similar to Falau’s , fighting,drinking, lying , stealing; gambling etc are not want I want for my kids! The sexuality is up to them to decide.

6 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Full transcript of Folau’s invective

Your quote is very selective. Folau frequently links gay marriage to the fires in Australia and refers to it as evil. There is also a video of the full sermon available at that link.

And in fact here is a cut and paste from that sermon that make it pretty obvious his meaning

I just want to say the events that’s happening here in Australia, just in the last couple of years. God’s Word says for a man and a woman t be together; one man and one woman in the covenant of marriage to be together.

Now the world, and speaking to Australia, right now. They come and changed this law. So they changed the law, they changed the ordinance. They’ve changed that law, and now have legalised same-sex marriage. Now those things are okay in society; going against the laws of what God says. Abortion, it’s okay now to murder and kill infants; unborn children – and they deem that to be okay.

This here, this scripture here is talking to Australia, which is what God’s speaking to those that are listening, that they may open their hearts to receive this. You have changed the law and ordinance of these things.

Look at how rapid these bush fires, these droughts, all these things they’ve come in a short period of time. Do you think it’s a coincidence or not?

God is speaking you guys, Australia, you need to repent, turn, take these laws and turn it back into following what is right by God, what God says in His word.

I don't know how anyone can hold Falou up as some kind of moral role model.

He took millions of dollars from thousands of people on the promise of fighting a battle for their rights to freedom of religious expression only to walk away with a $4million dollar settlement out of court and an apology for the harm he has caused.

Now he is promising to not speak on the issue again as he earns another salary. 

To me, this is completely unethical behaviour bordering on outright fraud.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Just now, Chamey said:

Religion isn't an excuse for bigotry. Just because the bible says something doesn't mean that it's acceptable to say.

Well isn't that what freedom of religion is about? As long as you don't use it to incite violence. 

I for one do not and never will proscribe to the court of social media opinion, to destroy someone's life. 

If druggies, women beaters, cheats, drink drivers and other criminals can play rugby league. Then so can a person who only quoted the bible and is a bit too religious for people on social media. 

7 minutes ago, iangidds said:

To be honest I would rather my children led a life similar to Falau’s , fighting,drinking, lying , stealing; gambling etc are not want I want for my kids! The sexuality is up to them to decide.

Yeah maybe he'd rather them follow louts, drug users, women beaters, alcoholics who assaults people in clubs and/or drive home. 

Maybe the Tomkins who go into bars wasted and assault a couple of young barmaids are the ones to look up to. 

Archived