Sign in to follow this  
Sports Prophet

All Stars...

Anyone care?

I thought I would care more when they added Maori, but alas, it’s an exhibition game and I just can’t get excited.

4 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Anyone care?

I thought I would care more when they added Maori, but alas, it’s an exhibition game and I just can’t get excited.

Glad you started a thread about it then to set the tone......

I actually agree though, it was good when it first came about but now you get that many players pulling out, the term 'All Stars' seems a bit misleading. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Glad you started a thread about it then to set the tone......

I actually agree though, it was good when it first came about but now you get that many players pulling out, the term 'All Stars' seems a bit misleading. 

Agree . I liked the original premise with all the world stars , then they changed it and , with pull outs , I don’t think it’s really took off . The Nines has overshadowed it now. That’s been very entertaining 

It had a bright start, with some entertaining matches, but they shouldn't let it limp on when the stars don't want to take part.

As for the Nines, I've booked the Friday off work and am looking forward to it.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

It had a bright start, with some entertaining matches, but they shouldn't let it limp on when the stars don't want to take part.

As for the Nines, I've booked the Friday off work and am looking forward to it.

If the NRL try to axe the Indigenous All Stars it'll be PR nightmare of epic proportions, every man and his dog will come out of the woodwork to claim that it's discrimination and that the NRL is racist. So the NRL are stuck with the All Stars match whether they like it or not.

It's just one of the multitude of reasons why creating racial and/or ethnic teams was such a bad idea.

The apartheid All Stars is a terrible concept. As there is no white team I am left with nobody to support.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

Agree . I liked the original premise with all the world stars , then they changed it

I think it had to be changed. There were rumblings of it being blacks v whites

2 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

If the NRL try to axe the Indigenous All Stars it'll be PR nightmare of epic proportions, every man and his dog will come out of the woodwork to claim that it's discrimination and that the NRL is racist. So the NRL are stuck with the All Stars match whether they like it or not.

It's just one of the multitude of reasons why creating racial and/or ethnic teams was such a bad idea.

I don’t think they are stuck with it, but the whole thing with these gimmicky or exhibition style events/fixtures, done annually, they swiftly lose their lustre. An Indigenous v Maori every four years would probably hit the mark. The 9s every four years probably would too.

Edited by Sports Prophet

1 hour ago, eal said:

The apartheid All Stars is a terrible concept. As there is no white team I am left with nobody to support.

But apartheid was all white people.

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t think they are stuck with it, but the whole thing with these gimmicky or exhibition style events/fixtures, done annually, they swiftly lose their lustre. An Indigenous v Maori every four years would probably hit the mark. The 9s every four years probably would too.

The problem is that the Indigenous players and portion of the fan base don't consider it to be a gimmick, novelty, or exhibition, they take it deadly seriously, and they aren't going to like it if it's messed with to much.

4 hours ago, eal said:

3 hours ago, aj1908 said:

But apartheid was all white people.

It's inspiring seeing great minds debate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, DlEHARD said:

I think it is good to add the Maori team and hopefully it encourages more participation.

I also want to see the Indigenous team tour, maybe to South Africa.

If an Indigenous team toured then might the politically-correct people complain that an all non-Indigenous team should also tour, purely for the sake of equality ?

30 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

If an Indigenous team toured then might the politically-correct people complain that an all non-Indigenous team should also tour, purely for the sake of equality ?

No, they wouldn't. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

No, they wouldn't. 

So if they wouldn't complain in favour of a non-indigenous team going on tour then I assume they also wouldn't complain if an all-indigenous team didn't tour yet the other team did ... otherwise that is not equality.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

6 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

So if they wouldn't complain in favour of a non-indigenous team going on tour then I assume they also wouldn't complain if an all-indigenous team didn't tour yet the other team did ... otherwise that is not equality.

Yes, I believe that 'politically correct' people would complain if Australia sent an 'all white' Rugby League team on tour.

I can't believe I even had to type that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Which of course highlights the stupidity of this all. An all-white Australian team is somehow considered bizarre yet a team featuring players with tenuous heritage from various Indigenous tribes that didn't even consider themselves one people is viewed as a good thing. I guess it gives these guys a chance to moan about the anthem and go walkabout in the bush for a few weeks in the pre season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, I believe that 'politically correct' people would complain if Australia sent an 'all white' Rugby League team on tour.

I can't believe I even had to type that.

But I never said "all white", I said "non-indigenous" which could include people from any other country irrespective of colour.

That highlights one problem ... some people read things into a comment that isn't there but just so it might be to the advantage of their own cause.

13 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

But I never said "all white", I said "non-indigenous" which could include people from any other country irrespective of colour.

That highlights one problem ... some people read things into a comment that isn't there but just so it might be to the advantage of their own cause.

Thank you for your clarification, I wasn't sure what 'an all non indigenous' team meant.

And yes, I believe that 'politically correct' people would complain if Australia sent an 'everyone but indigenous people' Rugby League team on tour.

And once again, I can't believe that I had to type that.

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Thank you for your clarification, I wasn't sure what 'an all non indigenous' team meant.

And yes, I believe that 'politically correct' people would complain if Australia sent an 'everyone but indigenous people' Rugby League team on tour.

And once again, I can't believe that I had to type that.

So they'd complain about that team but not about a team where ONLY indigenous players were selected ?  I understand all the arguments that such groups have been oppressed for many years beforehand but why should the current generation have to not get equality because of what their ancestors did ?

White people have to apologize forever it seems. Even though every culture has practiced slavery, war, and fought over land.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

So they'd complain about that team but not about a team where ONLY indigenous players were selected ?  I understand all the arguments that such groups have been oppressed for many years beforehand but why should the current generation have to not get equality because of what their ancestors did ?

Just take a few minutes to read back what you are arguing.

You have talked yourself into a position where you are trying to argue that the world has gone mad because people would complain if Australia sent a touring team which was made up of 'everyone but indigenous people'.

There is a massive difference between a team that 'represents' certain people and a team that explicitly excludes them.

Can you not see how ridiculous you are being.

And yes, before you say it, there cannot be a team that contains just 'caucasian' people, that is the annoying price we have to pay for having all of the advantages for the last few centuries... bummer isn't it.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Just take a few minutes to read back what you are arguing.

You have talked yourself into a position where you are trying to argue that the world has gone mad because people would complain if Australia sent a touring team which was made up of 'everyone but indigenous people'.

There is a massive difference between a team that 'represents' certain people and a team that explicitly excludes them.

Can you not see how ridiculous you are being.

And yes, before you say it, there cannot be a team that contains just 'caucasian' people, that is the annoying price we have to pay for having all of the advantages for the last few centuries... bummer isn't it.

No, again a difference in what I wrote and how you have perceived it.   Yes the Indigenous team would represent that culture but just as the "non-indigenous" team would represent theirs ... both are, as you say, excluding certain people.

My original comment on this subject was ....

4 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

So nowhere did I say that one represents one culture while the other doesn't. I was comparing like for like.

1 minute ago, RL does what Sky says said:

No, again a difference in what I wrote and how you have perceived it.   Yes the Indigenous team would represent that culture but just as the "non-indigenous" team would represent theirs ... both are, as you say, excluding certain people.

My original comment on this subject was ....

So nowhere did I say that one represents one culture while the other doesn't. I was comparing like for like.

Which non indigenous peoples of Australia were you thinking of that would representtheir culture? Then we can have a discussion about it.

It may be easier for all of us if you said that rather than use code.