Wigan’s Attendances

Eddie

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

North Western, the name gives it away, is on the edge of the town. 

North Western is the name of the line the station is on, hence the stations name, it is in the town centre.

It is in fact on the southern side of the centre on Wallgate, Wallgate is the street with the most pubs and bars on it in the town centre.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

In respect of travelling, Central Park was convenient in its day,  but these days trying to get anywhere and park or catch a (expensive?) bus is never easy. 

For the future, whilst Wigan pay rent to the stadium, they don't maintain it, unlike the problems that some clubs have. And they own the land at Orrell which offers some future benefit.

I must confess that I lost my passion for Wigan RLFC after Central Park was no more.

Interesting to know that the club still owns the land at Orrell. Believe a soccer club wish to play there❓

6 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Thursday ... and the cruise liner from Toronto, filled with away fans,  was quarantined half way up the Ship Canal.

chuckle...

was Sonny Bill in the squad to play... if so I thought such an eye catching recruit would have caused more interest in wanting to him him live...

38 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

must confess that I lost my passion for Wigan RLFC after Central Park was no more.

So you supported the ground, not the team. How bizarre.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Wigan have a large fan base not necessarily from within the Wigan Borough and when they're really doing well playing vintage stuff that is when their large fan base start to attend 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

2 hours ago, Padge said:

North Western is the name of the line the station is on, hence the stations name, it is in the town centre.

It is in fact on the southern side of the centre on Wallgate, Wallgate is the street with the most pubs and bars on it in the town centre.

I know where it is I caught the Wallgate station to Manchester for 10 years.  I'd say it was on the edge of town proper. But the real issue is the distance from all the other points of the compass. The DW is a distance away from the club's traditional home. 

Travel and congestion and parking is a problem for most clubs I think.

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I know where it is I caught the Wallgate station to Manchester for 10 years.  I'd say it was on the edge of town proper. But the real issue is the distance from all the other points of the compass. The DW is a distance away from the club's traditional home. 

Travel and congestion and parking is a problem for most clubs I think.

You have a strange conception of edge of town, do you live in a different alternate universe with different space time.  Central Park was further from the centre of town (using Market Place as the traditional dead centre) than the  NW Station.

53 minutes ago, Padge said:

So you supported the ground, not the team. How bizarre.

We both know its more than that Padge.

Home grounds in our combat sport are so important. The history, the atmosphere and in Wigan's  case the jammed in crowd was quite frankly what it was all about at Central Park.

I will never forget the Wigan  v Manley game. The whole crowd was on the field that night and it was the town not just the team  that won. Unbelievable atmosphere. Took two days to recover from a Bowling Green session afterwards.

Maybe people should  think twice  before Waky and the sandy desert are bulldozed in favour of a new sanitised outlet

DW stadium is certainly not giving itself to the atmosphere of  the past............

8 minutes ago, Padge said:

You have a strange conception of edge of town, do you live in a different alternate universe with different space time.  Central Park was further from the centre of town (using Market Place as the traditional dead centre) than the  NW Station.

You may be right, but I regard it as quite away from NW to Robin Park.

Wigan are trying to help with their fan zone.

1 minute ago, del capo said:

We both know its more than that Padge.

Home grounds in our combat sport are so important. The history, the atmosphere and in Wigan's  case the jammed in crowd was quite frankly what it was all about at Central Park.

I will never forget the Wigan  v Manley game. The whole crowd was on the field that night and it was the town not just the team  that won. Unbelievable atmosphere. Took two days to recover from a Bowling Green session afterwards.

Maybe people should  think twice  before Waky and the sandy desert are bulldozed in favour of a new sanitised outlet

DW stadium is certainly not giving itself to the atmosphere of  the past............

A jammed in crowd, you're having a laugh, of 15,000 (one of the later higher averages) in a stadium that had held just short of 50,000, take off the rose tinted.

Central Park for 50 years had been a large empty cavern for most of the games played there

28 minutes ago, Padge said:

A jammed in crowd, you're having a laugh, of 15,000 (one of the later higher averages) in a stadium that had held just short of 50,000, take off the rose tinted.

Central Park for 50 years had been a large empty cavern for most of the games played there

######  Padge

Stood for many years just below the hospital radio box - yes elbow room wtihout doubt   available  but can you get that in the  new all  seaters?

Crowds were never  poor,

The stadium itself was never fit for purpose. The terracing was an accident waiting to happen

.But as a venue for our game as good as it got,

Wigan sold it to Tescos to avoid bankruptcy for 12 million.

Not sure if you enjoy the new environment, Even from  a  seat   in the Gods   I   remain to be convinced

6 minutes ago, del capo said:

######  Padge

Stood for many years just below the hospital radio box - yes elbow room wtihout doubt   available  but can you get that in the  new all  seaters?

Crowds were never  poor,

The stadium itself was never fit for purpose. The terracing was an accident waiting to happen

Not sure if you enjoy the new environment, Even from  a  seat   in the Gods   I   remain to be convinced

The ground was not sold to avoid bankruptcy, if the directors had resigned the bank was willing to bankroll the club with its overdraft.

Crowds in 1980 averaged around 5,000

3 minutes ago, del capo said:

######  Padge

Crowds were never  poor,

Aye, nostalgia for the uplands when many things were s*yte, and we complained about them, but we enjoyed many things being s*yte.

Now things aren't as s*yte, but we like to say that things are REALLY S*YTE ! 

Da capo.

Just now, del capo said:

Are you a reincarnation of silent bob?

7 hours ago, Padge said:

Are you a reincarnation of silent bob?

No Padge.

Just went to bed. Up and running again now.....

Wigan were the Sarries of their day. Hopelessly overspending but collecting all the trophies. Fans were happy but the Bank definately not. That's when little 'Mo' took over , before taking over the RL itself.

As for Bankruptcy and the TSB ,why would the Board  have needed to resign if that was not the case? There was even serious talk in the day of moving to Reebok.

Still one of the few shareholders in Wigan Football club. with intimate knowledge of how it all panned out.......

2 hours ago, del capo said:

No Padge.

Just went to bed. Up and running again now.....

Wigan were the Sarries of their day. Hopelessly overspending but collecting all the trophies. Fans were happy but the Bank definately not. That's when little 'Mo' took over , before taking over the RL itself.

As for Bankruptcy and the TSB ,why would the Board  have needed to resign if that was not the case? There was even serious talk in the day of moving to Reebok.

Still one of the few shareholders in Wigan Football club. with intimate knowledge of how it all panned out.......

If you are so in the know, then, you would know it was the NatWest bank not the TSB that Wigan were dealing with and the bank was unhappy at what had been going on with shares changing hands before crucial voting and that the police investigating Robinson and Rathbone for their involvement. The bank demanded a change in board, they were not demanding their money back, quite the opposite they were willing to extend Wigan's overdraft facility if the dodgy two were moved on.

'Mo' had been gone from Wigan for years and was already at the RFL when Central Park was sold.

13 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Wigan have a large fan base not necessarily from within the Wigan Borough and when they're really doing well playing vintage stuff that is when their large fan base start to attend 

So ' Glory hunters ' then ? ?

1 hour ago, M j M said:

The stadium can't be the main problem as they were achieving 15k average at the same ground before the decline kicked in.

Does the fall correlate with the departure of Mick Hogan? 

Selling our best players every year and no star signings to excite supporters maybe be a reason.

This goes for the current Salford attendance thread on this forum as well.

1. Thursday Nights. (Kids with school in the morning, adults with work early doors in the morning. Don't play on a school night, Friday 7.45pm should be 1st KO of the round, Sunday 6.15pm should be last KO of the round) 

2. Loopy fixtures (Loop Fixtures, Super 8's whatever guise extra fixtures against the same team are under at the time. Repetitive borefest, scrap em immediately) 

3. Sky Sports Subscriptions. (Come hell or high water people will want their moneys worth and watch all / Vast majority of Live games on Sky! To that end, if there's a live game on telly, other games really shouldnt be scheduled against it!!) 

Archived