Jump to content

NRL Suspended


Recommended Posts


Whilst I enjoyed watching live sport, I think it sent out totally the wrong message to the public, and seeing players grappling each other made me feel uncomfortable. 

I think RL got it wrong in both hemispheres tbh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Whilst I enjoyed watching live sport, I think it sent out totally the wrong message to the public, and seeing players grappling each other made me feel uncomfortable. 

I think RL got it wrong in both hemispheres tbh. 

I take your point Dave but let's have it right, the Premier League would've been played up to last weekend had it not been for Mikel Arteta and the other lad actually getting it. I'm sure RL would've been suspended sooner if it directly affected a player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I take your point Dave but let's have it right, the Premier League would've been played up to last weekend had it not been for Mikel Arteta and the other lad actually getting it. I'm sure RL would've been suspended sooner if it directly affected a player. 

Yeah, I'm not convinced that should be the trigger. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Whilst I enjoyed watching live sport, I think it sent out totally the wrong message to the public, and seeing players grappling each other made me feel uncomfortable. 

I think RL got it wrong in both hemispheres tbh. 

It’s all well and good taking the moral high ground but where do you draw the line? This virus isn’t going to magically disappear, there will come a time when these measures will need to be relaxed, when cases are still forthcoming and there will likely be phases of further restrictions throughout the year. They might as well play on whilst everyone is fit and healthy and provide some entertainment and relief for the public. 

Its a shame they never took up the Queensland base option, I’m guessing if ESPN threw big money at them for a short term fill, they would’ve gone for it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It’s all well and good taking the moral high ground but where do you draw the line? This virus isn’t going to magically disappear, there will come a time when these measures will need to be relaxed, when cases are still forthcoming and there will likely be phases of further restrictions throughout the year. They might as well play on whilst everyone is fit and healthy and provide some entertainment and relief for the public. 

Its a shame they never took up the Queensland base option, I’m guessing if ESPN threw big money at them for a short term fill, they would’ve gone for it

I understand. A couple of weeks ago I suggested a season behind closed doors was a good idea. 

As much as I enjoyed Casv Saints and the NRL this weekend, it did feel a bit tone deaf, with what is going on around us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was watching Matty Johns show and i'm sure they said a 3 month break would be a disaster for some clubs in Australia.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

And of course asking the players and other club staff to move away from their families during the current crisis. How many on here would?

This was one of the things that made me uncomfortable. The NZ Warriors not going back to NZ and staying apart from their families for their jobs wasn't something I found impressive. I think people were put in really awkward positions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, I'm not convinced that should be the trigger. 

No it shouldn't have been but just making the point RL didn't really do anything other sports wouldn't have done had they not been more directly affected themselves - that tied with, NRL's at least, willingness to play behind closed doors where other sports wouldn't. Be interesting to see what happens over the coming weeks and months with global sports - it's too big and too fragile to close down fully for too long. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was hoping it would be possible at some point for Super League to be televised behind closed doors.

That prospect looks less likely now so it can only be a matter of time before SKY stop making monthly payments. No business can pay large amounts indefinitely with nothing in return.

If and when that happens there will be financial meltdown for a number of clubs, players made redundant and probably the end for full time professional Rugby League in the UK. In turn that would mean the end for Catalans & Toronto.

I know there are more important things but the situation for Rugby League is bleak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

If only lol, been wooden spoonists enough ? 

What three times in the last 48 years?

Says the man from “Fev” ???

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...