Jump to content
Scott Sinfield

Have Wigan ever been kept scoreless at home?

Recommended Posts

I have unleashed my inner nerd & had a flick through a book I have entitled 'Wigan RLFC 1895/1986' by Ian Morrison.

Post First World War up to 1986 I found 5 matches, including an almost unheard of scoreless draw & bizarrely a Yorkshire Cup tie. (The book states that the Lancashire Cup had been suspended during WW2 - hence Wigans entry into the Yorkshire Cup).
1925/26 v Leeds             0-5
1942/43 v Dewsbury      0-6 (Yorkshire Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg)
1951/52 v Barrow           0-9
1973/74 v Castleford     0-0
1978/79 v Castleford     0-18                                                                                                                                                                                             

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pyjamarama said:

I have unleashed my inner nerd & had a flick through a book I have entitled 'Wigan RLFC 1895/1986' by Ian Morrison.

Post First World War up to 1986 I found 5 matches, including an almost unheard of scoreless draw & bizarrely a Yorkshire Cup tie. (The book states that the Lancashire Cup had been suspended during WW2 - hence Wigans entry into the Yorkshire Cup).
1925/26 v Leeds             0-5
1942/43 v Dewsbury      0-6 (Yorkshire Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg)
1951/52 v Barrow           0-9
1973/74 v Castleford     0-0
1978/79 v Castleford     0-18                                                                                                                                                                                             

Thanks.

I was told as a boy that Wigan had played in the Yorkshire Cup.

When I mentioned it at school a particular heckler rubbished my very existence. Thankfully I haven't seen him since around Wembley 89: 27-0 to WIGAN. The happiest day of my life.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Nov 1991 v Leeds

Lost 0-19 at Central Park

I loved this game. How that great Wigan team lost to that Leeds team is mind-boggling. 19 is still one of my lottery numbers thanks to it.

Edited by M j M
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 Jan 1898    Wigan  0  -   5  Oldham

17 Dec 1898    Wigan  0  -  14  Oldham

16 Mar 1901    Wigan  0  -  15  Oldham

16 Apr 1906     Wigan   0  -  5   Oldham

18 Nov 1911    Wigan  0   -  3   Oldham

24 Sep 1932    Wigan   0  -  19  Oldham

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

29 Jan 1898    Wigan  0  -   5  Oldham

17 Dec 1898    Wigan  0  -  14  Oldham

16 Mar 1901    Wigan  0  -  15  Oldham

16 Apr 1906     Wigan   0  -  5   Oldham

18 Nov 1911    Wigan  0   -  3   Oldham

24 Sep 1932    Wigan   0  -  19  Oldham

 

 

I can’t believe Scott can’t remember those games without having to ask the question. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the early days it was not uncommon for games to finish 0-0.

The 1905 Wigan v Leigh Lancashire Cup final finished scoreless.

Wigan won the replay 8-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, M j M said:

I loved this game. How that great Wigan team lost to that Leeds team is mind-boggling. 19 is still one of my lottery numbers thanks to it.

Yes it was, John Bentley scored a brilliant try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting in the previous season to this Wigan v Leeds game,

Oldham

Rochdale Hornets

Sheffield

Featherstone Rovers

Bradford

were all in the 14 team top flight.

How times change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Interesting in the previous season to this Wigan v Leeds game,

Oldham

Rochdale Hornets

Sheffield

Featherstone Rovers

Bradford

were all in the 14 team top flight.

How times change.

Yes, that was when it was the rugby that mattered not the money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes, that was when it was the rugby that mattered not the money.

Yes. Part-time players plying their trade in delapidated stadiums in front of crowds half the size of today. 

Halcyon days, indeed. 

Edited by Number 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Thanks.

I was told as a boy that Wigan had played in the Yorkshire Cup.

When I mentioned it at school a particular heckler rubbished my very existence. Thankfully I haven't seen him since around Wembley 89: 27-0 to WIGAN. The happiest day of my life.

Oi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Yes. Part-time players plying their trade in delapidated stadiums in front of crowds half the size of today. 

Halcyon days, indeed. 

The average attendance for the 2019 Super League was 8334.

The average attendance for the 1989-90 season was 6502

So 6502 is half of 8334 is it ?

It's actually 78.02 %  (ie: more than 3/4)

... and just what difference does it make to enjoying the game whether the players are part-time or not ?  I enjoy watching amateur RL where players get paid nothing but still put 100% effort into everything.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The average attendance for the 2019 Super League was 8334.

The average attendance for the 1989-90 season was 6502

So 6502 is half of 8334 is it ?

It's actually 78.02 %  (ie: more than 3/4)

... and just what difference does it make to enjoying the game whether the players are part-time or not ?  I enjoy watching amateur RL where players get paid nothing but still put 100% effort into everything.

Part time or not there were some greats in that era. Ellery Hanley and Andy Goodway were full time professional players back in 1985 when they signed for Wigan at about the same time.

Garry Schofield is in the Balmain Hall of Fame.

Halcyon days indeed👍‼️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Part time or not there were some greats in that era. Ellery Hanley and Andy Goodway were full time professional players back in 1985 when they signed for Wigan at about the same time.

Garry Schofield is in the Balmain Hall of Fame.

Halcyon days indeed👍‼️

That was when 'official' attendances might not accurately reflect the actual number in the ground.

Players were paid in cash.

37000 v Manly 🤣

It was more like 50000 at £4 each unless you sat down. Standing, as I did, you could not move. Same at Wembley 1985 when stewards were prosecuted at the FA cup final⚽for letting people in for £5 after they had done the same at Wigan v Hull final. 97000 not🤣

Probably 110000

Appreciate I have drifted off topic slightly.

I too love amateur RL 🏉. Follow Chorley Panthers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...