Sign in to follow this  
ShevWig90

How many players can you name that......?

26 minutes ago, ShevWig90 said:

Gadwin Springer was born in French Guiana I think, not sure where Samy Kuvla was born though mate

Yeah, Springer is from South America. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Tom Van Vollenhoven, Green Vigo

oops.. just seen they were mentioned earlier by Nate90

OK.. John Winton (Oldham's South African full-back of the late 1960s)

John Winton was first signed by Wigan as a replacement for Fred Griffiths.

• Like 2

Some African players over the years: Len Killeen, Trevor Lake, Gert Coetzer, Jaco Booysen, Hugh Murray, Toby du Toit, David Barends, Arthur Larard, James Megson, William Mart, Attie van Heerden, Constant van der Spuy, Carl Burger, David Booysen, Fred Oliver, Ian Clark, Ken Morrson, Jack Pansegrouw, Fred Griffiths, Ronnie Colin, Ivor Dorrington, Ted Brophy, Ernie & Ossie Deysel, Athol Brown, Jan Prinsloo, Tommy Gentles, Jan Lotriet, Alan Skene, Wilf Rosenberg, George van Rooyen, Hugh Gillespe, Tony Forster, Percy Landsberg, Colin Greenwood, Goolam Abed, Louis Neumann, Noor Daniels, Andile (Duncan) Pikoli, Salie Schroder, Johnny Gaydon... plenty more, when I check my copy of 'Tries and Conversions' again.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

As Ash Hope has already mentioned in an earlier thread, Hull KR fielded two American grid iron players, Tim Anchors and Pat Kelly, in a first team game at Widnes in 1980.

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

Just now, Ullman said:

As Ash Hope has already mentioned in an earlier thread, Hull KR fielded two American grid iron players, Tim Anchors and Pat Kelly, in a first team game at Widnes in 1980.

Wasn’t that Oldham, not Hull KR?

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Wasn’t that Oldham, not Hull KR?

They definitely played for Hull KR. Played most of that season in their 'A' team but got a game at Widnes that day as Hull KR were resting some of their squad ahead of a game that I would have preferred not to recall.

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

1 minute ago, Ullman said:

They definitely played for Hull KR. Played most of that season in their 'A' team but got a game at Widnes that day as Hull KR were resting some of their squad ahead of a game that I would have preferred not to recall.

We’re both right. 

https://www.totalrl.com/the-self-isolation-chronicles-oldham/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-self-isolation-chronicles-oldham

• Like 1

A quick skim through trinity in addition to those already mentioned...

Judah Masive - Zimbabwe 

Milan Kosanovic - Yugoslavia (Serbia)

John Hawley - Scotland 

Rudolph Hasse - SAfrica

James McLaren - Scotland 

Peter Murphy - Scotland 

and in the current squad

Titus Gwaze - Zimbabwe 

Two Italians at Wigan (1957) Tony Rossi (possibly not real name) and Tony Romano. I think Wigan also gave trials to an American called Chuck Wiseman, possibly early sixties.

Edited by Jinking Jimmy
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Two Italians at Wigan (1957) Tony Rossi (possibly not real name) and Tony Romano. I think Wigan also gave trials to an American called Chuck Wiseman, possibly early sixties.

Thanks Jimmy, Tony Rossi was the one I was thinking of.

danieli.jpg

Dimitri Pelo, formerly of Les Dracs, is a native of Nouvelle-Caledonie.

13 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Yeah, Springer is from South America. 

But, technically, also from France.  I think French Guiana is an overseas department, so it returns representatives to Paris in French general elections and is territorially within the EU. 

14 hours ago, ShevWig90 said:

How many players can you name that have played in the English top tier from 1895 until present  that have not been born in the following countries  England, Australia, New Zealand, Wales, France, Pacific Islands and PNG?

I would say Stanley Gene, although born in PNG, is the only one old enough but he stopped playing a while back.

• Haha 3

RADFORD OUT!

10 hours ago, Nate90 said:

Thanks Jimmy, Tony Rossi was the one I was thinking of.

danieli.jpg

He came back to Wigan in 1960 with a team from Padua who played against Triangle Valve.A43640D5-0870-4EED-93CB-61AA6FBC2981.thumb.jpeg.568565430ded6af157e606b6ded7a485.jpeg

Edited by Jinking Jimmy