Wolfpack eye quartet

Matthew Morgan has signed a new contract with the Cardiff Blues. Pity, he's not that young but he'd be a sensation in Superleague.

Wales coaches overlook him because he's small and poor in defence. Mind you, they did the same for years with Shane Williams.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

There is so much hate for Toronto on here. Just look at this thread when they are linked to several International Grand Final winning players, apparently all the players are rubbish and past it.

Yet when Salford sign Andy Ackers, a good Championship player but someone who isn’t up to Super League, it’s met with silence.

No hate from me, but after 4 years they still haven't shown anything towards player development, just relying on paying others for players.

Or are you just going by the notion that if you're not tossing one off over them you hate them?

If they can develop players from a potentially huge pool of players then that would be better.

5 minutes ago, meast said:

No hate from me, but after 4 years they still haven't shown anything towards player development, just relying on paying others for players.

If they can develop players from a potentially huge pool of players then that would be better.

its not that  they dont seem to have tried,but it was all the look at us and learn what were going to do that did get to a lot a folks, were going to do this that and other,at first i thought it would be fantastic kick up the rear for our guys if they had brought in some these american linebackers to our game, doubt it will happen now and its just another name in the SL list a teams that seem to love rochdale ale.

4 minutes ago, silverback said:

its not that  they dont seem to have tried,but it was all the look at us and learn what were going to do that did get to a lot a folks, were going to do this that and other,at first i thought it would be fantastic kick up the rear for our guys if they had brought in some these american linebackers to our game, doubt it will happen now and its just another name in the SL list a teams that seem to love rochdale ale.

I'm sure they could have developed some Canadian RU players or Canadian footballers over the last 4 years to a decent standard.

Whether they want to is another matter, as I say, the longer they keep recruiting players from the current pool then they are a franchise team not an expansion team.

19 minutes ago, meast said:

Or are you just going by the notion that if you're not tossing one off over them you hate them?

How many players have Salford developed in the last 4 years?

56 minutes ago, meast said:

I'm sure they could have developed some Canadian RU players or Canadian footballers over the last 4 years to a decent standard.

Whether they want to is another matter, as I say, the longer they keep recruiting players from the current pool then they are a franchise team not an expansion team.

This is my worry, living out here opens your eyes with regard to the level of skilled athlete out here, and as I have said perhaps too many times, sports are still seen as important here, kids are encouraged to develop their athletic talents, yet there seems to be little done by the Wolfpack to engage with them.

I live in BC, the hot bed and home for RU in Canada. I have seen the talent on show at the BC High School Provincial Championships, my own sons have played in them, one was selected as a Provincial All Star, the year the Wolfpack launched their “last tackle” show, yet no one from that all star team was approached by the Wolfpack, ironically one guy who missed out on that dream team selection did find its way to the Wolfpack via last tackle, so the Wolfpack were aware that there is RU talent in BC which is honestly looking for somewhere to go, given the state of Rugby Canada’s finances. I do therefore wonder if the Wolfpack just don’t want to get into development, is it too much work. I’m hoping that’s going to change, now that Nobby is no longer involved.

Oh and one thing I can confidently say, there’s no way the Wolfpack sign an NFL player, have you seen what those guys earn? The salary cap will buy you one average one, that’s the entire salary cap!

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How many players have Salford developed in the last 4 years?

Salford have a business plan of offering players a chance to play in Superleague whilst staying in the North of England. The fact that players such as Evalds and Hastings are leaving shows that the club is at least trying to live within its means. If Salford had as much money as Toronto or Leeds, it would probably change the business plan.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

7 minutes ago, Oldbear said:

This is my worry, living out here opens your eyes with regard to the level of skilled athlete out here, and as I have said perhaps too many times, sports are still seen as important here, kids are encouraged to develop their athletic talents, yet there seems to be little done by the Wolfpack to engage with them.

I live in BC, the hot bed and home for RU in Canada. I have seen the talent on show at the BC High School Provincial Championships, my own sons have played in them, one was selected as a Provincial All Star, the year the Wolfpack launched their “last tackle” show, yet no one from that all star team was approached by the Wolfpack, ironically one guy who missed out on that dream team selection did find its way to the Wolfpack via last tackle, so the Wolfpack were aware that there is RU talent in BC which is honestly looking for somewhere to go, given the state of Rugby Canada’s finances. I do therefore wonder if the Wolfpack just don’t want to get into development, is it too much work. I’m hoping that’s going to change, now that Nobby is no longer involved.

Oh and one thing I can confidently say, there’s no way the Wolfpack sign an NFL player, have you seen what those guys earn? The salary cap will buy you one average one, that’s the entire salary cap!

Interesting letter about TWP recruitment  from  28 january

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/mailbox-there-is-no-shortage-of-rugby-players-in-canada/

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

You probably wouldn't see one on the field with Ward though ?

That is just a quip, I hope Ward stays with us and finally realises his dream of captaining the side for a long period of time, unless Toronto offer him a deal he can't refuse I think Ward would want to stay and captain the Leeds side.

Yes he often seemed held together by sticky tape.

If I'm honest I'd like to see him go and make an impact because I for one would love to see Toronto do well. Not sure what other people think 

3 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Is there a visa issue with them signing Canadian players or just a quota issue? I seem to remember it being an issue when they Ngwati first departed

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Is there a visa issue with them signing Canadian players or just a quote issue? I seem to remember it being an issue when they Ngwati first departed

There is an issue...I say lets cut the Wolfpack some slack here...they are doin their thang...Ottawa will soon be in the mix and you guys will see.   On and upwards I say.  I can hardly wait to see hall breaking it open on the wing for The pack.  And as for Hall...he played very well in the last game for the Roosters.....made lots of meters on strong carries.

Off the top of my head, I think McMeeken, Mulhern, Ashworth, Bentley, Shaul, Dwyer and Currie are off contract at the end of this year. I’d be more inclined to look at those types of players, granted they’re not the same positions as these four, than the four they’re linked with, barring probably Hall. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Off the top of my head, I think McMeeken, Mulhern, Ashworth, Bentley, Shaul, Dwyer and Currie are off contract at the end of this year. I’d be more inclined to look at those types of players, granted they’re not the same positions as these four, than the four they’re linked with, barring probably Hall. 

The Pack is always looking...always searching for members....don't you worry.....we are building a DYNASTY!

"Run With The Pack!"

The Wolfpack needs a top quality half and two powerful props.

Flower would be a good choice for one year perhaps. So the club would still have to keep looking.

New Zealand second rower Corey Harawira-Naera and Nigerian international winger/centre Jayden Okunbor, both deregistered by the NRL, and both still young high quality players, would be great signings for Toronto. Okunbor would also attract the Nigerian expat community in Toronto.

9 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

My point that Toronto face so much hatred on here. People will criticise Toronto for not developing players over the last 4 years and the signings they make, but not a decades old heartland club like Salford. 

so you want folks to aim some hate to salford like you seem to be doing,they wernt the ones spouting months of what they were going to do once in Sl,and to be fair i think salford have done ok with what they have,am sure toronto will come good in time, but would have come over better just cracking on with job and letting results speak for themselves rather than all the bullfodder.

People’s obsession with Toronto Wolfpack producing Canadian players within 4 years in a country that was at the beginning of its journey of playing the sport is bizarre. 

It’s not as easy as just shouting about it or transferring players from other sports and getting players of a high enough standard for any of the leagues they’ve been in. Could they have started an Academy over here? Possibly, but it could be argued that they’d be reducing the pool here and it wouldn’t be helping the game in Canada. 

Its a slow and laborious process that will take years. If Toronto are getting into schools and there’s junior clubs starting up, it’s the first steps on the road to producing Canadian players. 

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

My point that Toronto face so much hatred on here. People will criticise Toronto for not developing players over the last 4 years and the signings they make, but not a decades old heartland club like Salford. 

I don't hate Toronto, again, and this thread is about Toronto not Salford, but yes, Salford should be doing a hell of a lot better in terms of player development.

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

People’s obsession with Toronto Wolfpack producing Canadian players within 4 years in a country that was at the beginning of its journey of playing the sport is bizarre. 

It’s not as easy as just shouting about it or transferring players from other sports and getting players of a high enough standard for any of the leagues they’ve been in. Could they have started an Academy over here? Possibly, but it could be argued that they’d be reducing the pool here and it wouldn’t be helping the game in Canada. 

Its a slow and laborious process that will take years. If Toronto are getting into schools and there’s junior clubs starting up, it’s the first steps on the road to producing Canadian players. 

I don't think 4 years is too long to develop a player, especially if it's a player already playing RU, it can't be that hard surely?

I'm not talking about a full blown academy system churning out players like a lot of heartland clubs, but for all the money they've thrown around recruiting seasoned SL and championship players then surely they could have used some of that in developing one or 2 Canadian players?

I think that what has happened is that for the first couple of years Toronto was heavily influenced by Coach Rowley and GM Noble, both of whom tend to favour experience over youth. As a result developing homegrown players took a back seat, and the result of that has been promotion ahead of the original 5 year plan, but also the salary cap hell that has led to the wafer thin squad. McDermott has now inherited this position, and it would appear he intends a rebuild of the squad, perhaps there will now be more of an emphasis on development.

6 hours ago, silverback said:

so you want folks to aim some hate to salford like you seem to be doing,they wernt the ones spouting months of what they were going to do once in Sl,and to be fair i think salford have done ok with what they have,am sure toronto will come good in time, but would have come over better just cracking on with job and letting results speak for themselves rather than all the bullfodder.

What hate have I directed at Salford? None as far as I’m concerned, I’ve just compared their scrutiny and criticism to Toronto’s.

Really, short memory? Here is Salford sprouting what they are going to do in Super League 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/23283935

On 08/06/2020 at 16:28, meast said:

How many top level players has Melbourne developed, and thats one of the most successful clubs with shed loads of money and time thrown at them. Yet we expect more from a team based in a country with very little rugby of any sort played. 

3 hours ago, meast said:

Why not? Aren't every other club chasing promotion and trying to avoid relegation?

It should be part of a clubs' MO to develop players, regardless

Yes but those clubs have been doing so for years and also have junior / community clubs around them. If you asked Huddersfield to develop SL players in 4 years from a pool of people who don’t know what rugby league is they probably wouldn’t be able to do it. 

Archived