Championship clubs still in deadlock

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

"The Club feels it is important that the RFL surveys are collated by the Clubs league status only and not a collaboration of Championship and League One Clubs."

That to me suggests they think there are enough Championship teams wanting to get the season back underway.

I don't think there's any doubt that they all want to go back, its really a division on how. Some clubs want it regardless of crowds being in attendance, for others that would be financial suicide.

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

And then no doubt the championship would void its season because apparently being the best club out of Fev, Dewsbury, Bradford, York, Sheffield< Leigh et al is an utterly pointless and worthless thing. 

Not everyone quite sees it that way, although I concede some of the Leigh fans on here seem to be obsessed with promotion and relegation.

However, in our current context, the key issue is about whether fans are allowed to attend.

If we are not going to have fans for the current season, nor any promotion, then I would definitely agree that it would be pointless to have a 2020 season. All it would do would be to bankrupt about 8 Championship clubs whilst allowing one to 'celebrate' (if that's the word) some kind of tin pot trophy.

But, in normal times, then I think a strong case can be made for a viable Championship that does not necessarily end with promotion i.e a completion with validity in its own right.

But we aren't in normal times...

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Not everyone quite sees it that way, although I concede some of the Leigh fans on here seem to be obsessed with promotion and relegation.

However, in our current context, the key issue is about whether fans are allowed to attend.

If we are not going to have fans for the current season, nor any promotion, then I would definitely agree that it would be pointless to have a 2020 season. All it would do would be to bankrupt about 8 Championship clubs whilst allowing one to 'celebrate' (if that's the word) some kind of tin pot trophy.

But, in normal times, then I think a strong case can be made for a viable Championship that does not necessarily end with promotion i.e a completion with validity in its own right.

But we aren't in normal times...

Here’s a fag packet income from a game for a club with 600 home fans - 300 on season tickets = 0, 100 @£20, 100@£14 and 100 kids comps. £2850 plus vat so they lose 30k with no gates £30k, surely they have enough from fans sponsors and owners to cover that plus crowds will be back by september

On 26/06/2020 at 02:15, sweaty craiq said:

The problem most of the lower tiers have is they have no fans, poor facilities, no sponsors and await the fuse blowing on the life support. Thats why there is no interest in tv coverage, especially if the “potentials” are removed. Widnes Bradford and Leigh have shown they can pull a gate, Newcastle and Fev are up for it and we must expand the sport. The solution is obvious to anyone who understands how to grow a business

Based reality.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

There are still way too many questions. Like the testing, how does it work? I presume players and families would be tested hence where the high figures have come to. How far does that need to be expanded given most players in the Championships work other jobs.

Regards any sort of vote, there is no way the RFL can force teams to abide by any vote in what could actually turn out to be a vote that could put a number of clubs out of business. I can however understand the clubs who may have slightly overspent this season and their frustrations afterall its the best chance of promotion they are going to get if you compare the make up of the division to previous seasons and potential future seasons. Again I can understand why they may have overstretched themselves for the chance of the golden ticket this year.

Ive said before I still think the amateur game will resume before the semi pro game and there will be a good influx of players from the Championships as they go back to grass roots, theres still a lot of players that play for the love of the game. This will be great for the amateur game.

Theres still a lot of questions regarding player contracs which I believe normally run till October? Once clubs are forced to start paying money towards the furrloughed players we may get more clubs showing their hands as that would be an obvious point to either renogotiate with players or to simply release them from their contracts and effectively make them unemployed as there would be no work for them. We are going to see large numbers of players become available as clubs cut their cloth accordingly.

For me Ive seen our game slowly moving back to the amateur game and this has just brought that a whole lot closer as it is clear there is not enough money in the game to support the current structures.

Based on what it's costing UK and German soccer, tests are in the region of £90-100 each. 25 people a club, twice a week gives the figure of about £5,000. 

2 hours ago, JonM said:

I guess if SL says no promotion/ relegation, do those clubs still want to go ahead? How many clubs do you need for a credible competition - I would think 4 is probably too few?

Last I heard, there were five Div 2 clubs plus Newcastle.

As soon as the RFL declare no promotion or relegation, all interest will die.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Liverpool Rover, I noted your emoji but in reality are you any different than that I am being accused of having my/your club at heart, obviously with relegation from SL you would be one of the firm favourites.

What emoji?

I have removed it as I didn’t mean to do that.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

This attitude is strangling the game, especially at lower league level. 

How is it "strangling the game" ?  Give your detailed reasoning.

There's a virus on the go, clubs have been advised not to play and even if there were games, nobody's allowed to watch them.

What's the point ?

16 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Based on what it's costing UK and German soccer, tests are in the region of £90-100 each. 25 people a club, twice a week gives the figure of about £5,000. 

What happens if somebody tests positive ?

Is everyone quarantined for two weeks ?

Are the games off ?  When will they be played ?  Or do they just forfeit the game ?  In which case, what integrity is there to the competition then ?

What if a club wants to play but the players decide not to opt in ?  Do they just turn out with what they've got ?

Everyone assumes that these tests will all be negative and everything will be grand.

19 minutes ago, Griff said:

Are the games off ?  When will they be played ?  Or do they just forfeit the game ?  In which case, what integrity is there to the competition then ?

What if a club wants to play but the players decide not to opt in ?  Do they just turn out with what they've got ?

Everyone assumes that these tests will all be negative and everything will be grand.

And not forgetting that most players in the Championship and probably all of them in L1 are part time. If one of them tests positive not only will they have to stop work, but it would affect the people they work with. Time to stop listening to the self centred idiot that owns Leigh, smell the coffee and accept that the season for the lower divisions has to be abandoned.(edited for spelling)

If the championship clubs vote to restart then it can carry on with P&R between SL and the championship. If they vote not to carry on then the clubs that do wish to play games should be able to arrange a mini comp to do so.

However I don’t see how any mini comp could be considered to be an official championship season when more than half of the teams would be sitting it out so I don’t see how there could be any promotion.

36 minutes ago, Griff said:

It's to be hoped that those questions are being asked by the club representatives and, more importantly, answered before any decisions are made. 

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Last I heard, there were five Div 2 clubs plus Newcastle.

As soon as the RFL declare no promotion or relegation, all interest will die.

May I please amend that to "If the RFL declare no promotion or relegation all interest will die"

I totally agree with you Griff, and put me at the top of the list.

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Here’s a fag packet income from a game for a club with 600 home fans - 300 on season tickets = 0, 100 @£20, 100@£14 and 100 kids comps. £2850 plus vat so they lose 30k with no gates £30k, surely they have enough from fans sponsors and owners to cover that plus crowds will be back by september

Chuck in bars, food, lotteries, club shop sponsored boxes etc and the number does grow. Then factor in testing costs, changes to toilet facilities, properly separated changing rooms and the gap really widens.

I am desperate to get back to watching live RL again at our place but the challenges are still considerable.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

What happens to an employee whose industry is working if they don’t want to go in

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

Chuck in bars, food, lotteries, club shop sponsored boxes etc and the number does grow. Then factor in testing costs, changes to toilet facilities, properly separated changing rooms and the gap really widens.

I am desperate to get back to watching live RL again at our place but the challenges are still considerable.

What’s the margin after costs on food ale etc, it’s not great with poor crowds and no away support. Pubs are open next week, yet we can’t open grounds with controlled capacity? It won’t be long, let’s plan now. Championship can run to Xmas and start a month later

11 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

It's a complex situation. One that can only be resolved by someone with the intellectual probity of Ralph Rimmer.

I will let you know later, that is after we see how he conducts this scenario, by the way what as happened to Mr Elstone since some of the SL clubs realised employing him was the wrong decision?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I will let you know later, that is after we see how he conducts this scenario, by the way what as happened to Mr Elstone since some of the SL clubs realised employing him was the wrong decision?

I am on here, regards Boris Elstone

Archived