Sat 11 Jul: NRL: Brisbane Broncos v Canterbury Bulldogs KO 8.30am BST (Sky Sports)

6 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Is that the Thompson factor David or a wild guess?

I never guess . Detailed study , in-depth research and a tremendous rugby analytical brain in all my predictions . Yeh , ok I guess 

Bulldogs are just full of errors and dumb plays at the moment. Thompson going well so far though.

Edit: Just as they score 😄

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Were the Bulldogs players under orders not to pass to Thompson ? His primary strength is his running game , you’d have thought they’d want to use it . There was a moment late in the second half where you could see how frustrated he was as he was missed out again . If that’s how they’re gonna nurse him through long minutes at 13 it’s a waste .  I saw lots of Tolman and Napa but he’s better than them . Get him doing two full out shifts at prop ripping in like at Saints . I did like the do with Pangai though . As a Pom you can’t back down , you’ve gotta get stuck in . Ridiculous anyway that you get put on report for that , that was pretty good stuff , both guys liked it . By the way Bulldogs are still rubbish , Foran has totally lost it , Wakeham is rubbish . Nothing come from there . Just a team of graft and no guile 

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Were the Bulldogs players under orders not to pass to Thompson ? His primary strength is his running game , you’d have thought they’d want to use it . There was a moment late in the second half where you could see how frustrated he was as he was missed out again . If that’s how they’re gonna nurse him through long minutes at 13 it’s a waste .  I saw lots of Tolman and Napa but he’s better than them . Get him doing two full out shifts at prop ripping in like at Saints . I did like the do with Pangai though . As a Pom you can’t back down , you’ve gotta get stuck in . Ridiculous anyway that you get put on report for that , that was pretty good stuff , both guys liked it . By the way Bulldogs are still rubbish , Foran has totally lost it , Wakeham is rubbish . Nothing come from there . Just a team of graft and no guile 

It was similar to the Raiders using Elliott Whitehead on decoy runs all the time yet on the odd occasion they do give him the ball he invariably breaks through (only to lose the ball in the act of scoring!) If that's what the Dog's intend to do with Thompson as I have said previously he's joined the wrong club, you could see the frustration on his face at the unacceptable errors of his new team mates today. He's in for plenty of frustration I fear.

Despite a strong performance by Luke Thompson, Canterbury- Bankstown Bulldogs showed a lack of any scheme or talent in attack. The team desperately needs a brilliant full back and some quality centers. The Polish heritage international Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, is a quality winger, but not a quality full back.

16 minutes ago, DavidM said:

By the way Bulldogs are still rubbish , Foran has totally lost it , Wakeham is rubbish . Nothing come from there . Just a team of graft and no guile 

I agree that Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs are rubbish. However I wouldn’t call Wakeham rubbish. He is a Fijian international crippled by playing in a sub-par team. The team needs an injection of more backline quality.

2 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

I agree that Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs are rubbish. However I wouldn’t call Wakeham rubbish. He is a Fijian international crippled by playing in a sub-par team. The team needs an injection of more backline quality.

They can have all the backline quality they want , it will make no difference if they don’t have quality halves giving them quality service. All their halves are average , or in Foran past it , and aren’t grabbing a game at all or showing game winning skill . Some of the passing and execution there was abysmal

Kieron Foran has spent too much time gambling on his Ladbroke’s account that has been topped up by shady Sydney businessman, former brothel owner, and high stakes gambler, Eddie Hayson. I actually met Kieron Foran at a well known hotel bar in North Sydney one afternoon a few years ago, and he was glued to the television coverage of the horse races. Foran needs to find some  less destructive off field diversions so that he can focus more on his rugby league playing.

12 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Kieron Foran has spent too much time gambling on his Ladbroke’s account that has been topped up by shady Sydney businessman, former brothel owner, and high stakes gambler, Eddie Hayson. I actually met Kieron Foran at a well known hotel bar in North Sydney one afternoon a few years ago, and he was glued to the television coverage of the horse races. Foran needs to find some  less destructive off field diversions so that he can focus more on his rugby league playing.

That is a serious allegation Manfred.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I was getting frustrated watching it. There were a few occasions when Thompson set off to take the ball in and the 9 just looked at him and then went the other way.

I agree that he needs to start at prop taking the ball straight off the ruck as that is what he does best and would also mean he got more chances to take the ball in.

I think it would make a big difference to the Bulldogs winning the battle in middle of the park

4 hours ago, Allora said:

That is a serious allegation Manfred.

The first allegation has been widely reported. Google “Eddie Hayson Kieron Foran”  and you will see all the media reports.

The second allegation is true and serious, but I am not sure what problem anyone would have with it.

Luke Thompson’s stats (via @johnnyddavidson):

8 runs
77 run metres
22 post contact metres 
2 tackle breaks
8 hit-ups
90.2% tackle efficiency
37 tackles
3 missed tackles
1 ineffective tackle
2 penalties
in a 60 minute spell
on report for shoulder charge

Showed plenty of, er, bulldog spirit too.

He’ll do well. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Luke Thompson’s stats (via @johnnyddavidson):

8 runs
77 run metres
22 post contact metres 
2 tackle breaks
8 hit-ups
90.2% tackle efficiency
37 tackles
3 missed tackles
1 ineffective tackle
2 penalties
in a 60 minute spell
on report for shoulder charge

Showed plenty of, er, bulldog spirit too.

He’ll do well. 

Yes that tells a story . 8 runs for Luke Thompson , as destructive a ball runner one off the ruck as you can get . That’s the only stat that matters for him really . He’ll make metres and bend the line as a given . He’ll do well alright , an asset for any team 

By the way if I ever go to Australia remind me to get a haircut before I go , the hairdressers aren’t getting a good rap from watching the NRL ! What is going on with these hair cuts , some total shockers especially the shave above and around the ears look which is the most ridiculous looking thing ever . 

I liked the fact Thompson had a pop at the dummy half after not getting the ball. As well as his duel with Pangai Jnr. Shows he has the personality to make it over there.

I hope the Bulldogs lack of use of Thompson was just him and his teammates getting used the systems as Thompson is the type of player who gets better the more involved he is.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I liked the fact Thompson had a pop at the dummy half after not getting the ball. As well as his duel with Pangai Jnr. Shows he has the personality to make it over there.

I hope the Bulldogs lack of use of Thompson was just him and his teammates getting used the systems as Thompson is the type of player who gets better the more involved he is.

Yeah, I liked he was getting stuck in as well.

I totally get others’ comments about him being frustrated (he obviously was!) and not being used enough. As you say, learning systems and possibly so as not to pile the pressure on him from the off. First game in the NRL and first proper match for a few months for him. Really good start, I thought. 

Archived