Jump to content

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

English people travel more than French people, not sure why but they do, so not sure why you think French RL players would be more resilient than English ones?

Because they're cleverer , more educated ,not like thick northerners ,they're more like Australians ūüėā

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Oldbear said:

1. Gotta be easier if people around you speak the same language.

2. I was also thinking that the French guys, being able to converse with locals, might be more resilient than most of the Brits who leave the UK for other shores, then run back home yearning for mushy peas!

Number 2, in my experience is valid.  

Brits seem to expect other countries to speak English.  Normally they find some more English and form a clique, when just learning a few words and a small vocabulary they could increase that circle of friends and learn a little culture.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Neither team will happen under virus restrictions, abandon now, and plow the money into established clubs that need the emergency cash

Yesterday's announcement from the government certainly puts a cloud of doubt over it all, but there could be some good to come out of it - When we can all safely return to normal on both sides of the Atlantic, why not put Toronto back in the same league as Ottowa to build up even more interest. If a USA club wants to join them all the better, as long as we have better management for European clubs travelling to away fixtures, such as a fixture schedule that would only require one trip across the Atlantic?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Number 2, in my experience is valid.  

Brits seem to expect other countries to speak English.  Normally they find some more English and form a clique, when just learning a few words and a small vocabulary they could increase that circle of friends and learn a little culture.

No need for anyone to learn a language all you need is a wifi connection, I have sat in bars in foriegn countries not being able to speak the language nor those who I was conversing with having any command of English.

Google Translate enables one to speak into their device (phone or tablet) and it will repeat the words audibly almost instantly in the chosen language, just pressing the 'reverse button' enables the other person to communicate back in their tongue and you hear it in English immediately, I have sat with people for 2 hours utilising this method, got served in shops, communicate in restaurants and asked directions, it is a really wonderful tool, it even utilises the  devices camera, it lets you focus on say a menu and you can read it in English albeit some of the interpretations are amusing when it is a local item.

Give it a try, it really works even with my Lancashire accent,¬†so there's still hope for all those East of the Penninesūü§ó

Edited by Harry Stottle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

No need for anyone to learn a language all you need is a wifi connection, I have sat in bars in foriegn countries not being able to speak the language nor those who I was conversing with having any command of English.

Google Translate enables one to speak into their device (phone or tablet) and it will repeat the words audibly almost instantly in the chosen language, just pressing the 'reverse button' enables the other person to communicate back in their tongue and you hear it in English immediately, I have sat with people for 2 hours utilising this method, got served in shops, communicate in restaurants, asked directions it is a really wonderful tool, it even utilises the  devices camera, it lets you focus on say a menu and you can read it in English albeit some of the interpretations are amusing when it is a local item.

Give it a try, it really works even with my Lancashire accent,¬†so there's still hope for all those East of the Penninesūü§ó

Err... I think I said a few words...and a small vocabulary?

If your happy to use a device, then fair enough.  I’ve never seen it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Err... I think I said a few words...and a small vocabulary?

If your happy to use a device, then fair enough.  I’ve never seen it though.

Give it a go, I have used it for a number of years, of course having a small vocabulary is good but this means you don't need it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Give it a go, I have used it for a number of years, of course having a small vocabulary is good but this means you don't need it. 

I have used google translate before but only for Arabic text and legal documents in France.  

Many English don’t make an effort at all.  If it ain’t English then that’s it.  I’ve seen it too many times.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I have used google translate before but only for Arabic text and legal documents in France.  

Many English don’t make an effort at all.  If it ain’t English then that’s it.  I’ve seen it too many times.

Yes totally agree, but it is the global language, did you know that it prerequisite to speak English to be an airline pilot, not French, German or Chinese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Err... I think I said a few words...and a small vocabulary?

If your happy to use a device, then fair enough.  I’ve never seen it though.

Having seen more than a few gaffs made by Google translate online I wouldn't want to trust a device.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2020 at 11:20, Bleep1673 said:

Neither team will happen under virus restrictions, abandon now, and plow the money into established clubs that need the emergency cash

Didn't think this one through, did you?


Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes totally agree, but it is the global language, did you know that it prerequisite to speak English to be an airline pilot, not French, German or Chinese.

That's true harry 

In 2015, out of the total 195 countries in the world, 67 nations have English as the primary language of 'official status'. Plus there are also 27 countries where English is spoken as a secondary 'official' language.400 million native speakers of English. In addition, it has been  said that there were 400 million speakers of English as a second language.Furthermore, there were around 600 - 700 million English as a foreign language speakers. So, that's  over 1 billion people that could communicate in English to some extent. and it was  estimated  in 2018 that there are definitely above 1.5 billion speakers of English globally.

English is  the world's most accessible language due to its massive presence in films, TV and the internet. English grammar is also quite easy to learn to start with when you are a beginner compared to other languages.That's why it is taught as a second language at school in a lot  countries

having said all that it doesn't stop you learning a bit of spanish for your hols if only for a laugh if nowt elseūü§£

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

No need for anyone to learn a language all you need is a wifi connection, I have sat in bars in foriegn countries not being able to speak the language nor those who I was conversing with having any command of English.

Google Translate enables one to speak into their device (phone or tablet) and it will repeat the words audibly almost instantly in the chosen language, just pressing the 'reverse button' enables the other person to communicate back in their tongue and you hear it in English immediately, I have sat with people for 2 hours utilising this method, got served in shops, communicate in restaurants and asked directions, it is a really wonderful tool, it even utilises the  devices camera, it lets you focus on say a menu and you can read it in English albeit some of the interpretations are amusing when it is a local item.

Give it a try, it really works even with my Lancashire accent,¬†so there's still hope for all those East of the Penninesūü§ó

Llandudno was it Harry?


Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, POR said:

That's true harry 

In 2015, out of the total 195 countries in the world, 67 nations have English as the primary language of 'official status'. Plus there are also 27 countries where English is spoken as a secondary 'official' language.400 million native speakers of English. In addition, it has been  said that there were 400 million speakers of English as a second language.Furthermore, there were around 600 - 700 million English as a foreign language speakers. So, that's  over 1 billion people that could communicate in English to some extent. and it was  estimated  in 2018 that there are definitely above 1.5 billion speakers of English globally.

English is  the world's most accessible language due to its massive presence in films, TV and the internet. English grammar is also quite easy to learn to start with when you are a beginner compared to other languages.That's why it is taught as a second language at school in a lot  countries

having said all that it doesn't stop you learning a bit of spanish for your hols if only for a laugh if nowt elseūü§£

 

You do read this forum, don't you?

  • Like 4

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Llandudno was it Harry?

My pins in a map can rank alongside many well heeled travellers johnny, not many Euro-capitals I haven't visited, I made a concerted effort to go to visit all a few years back, done lots of Asia, Australasia and parts of Africa all the Caribbean islands, not done either of the America's actually never fancied North America much and selling my company to an organisation from there confirmed to me not to bother it wasn't for me, to brash albeit I had umpteen opportunities to visit and all paid for in luxury but it still didn't temp, Sourh America is on the list though.

Must say though I have just¬†checked Google Translate and Welsh is there, so just for the hell of it I could take a trip into the valley's to try it out, thanks for that johnny, though I don't reckon your sarcasm was meant to be helpful, ūüėč

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Number 2, in my experience is valid.  

Brits seem to expect other countries to speak English.  Normally they find some more English and form a clique, when just learning a few words and a small vocabulary they could increase that circle of friends and learn a little culture.

Having spent 10 years of my life in France and French RL between 1998/2008 I can tell you that a majority of French rugby league players spoke good English .

WHY

Because the majority are RL fans and followed SL and the NRL:) they just wanted to become part of the RL family which is dominated by  us.

So the majority made an effort and fair play to them.

 

 

P 

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes totally agree, but it is the global language, did you know that it prerequisite to speak English to be an airline pilot, not French, German or Chinese.

I don’t know.  I work in construction.  I can use a plane.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

My pins in a map can rank alongside many well heeled travellers johnny, not many Euro-capitals I haven't visited, I made a concerted effort to go to visit all a few years back, done lots of Asia, Australasia and parts of Africa all the Caribbean islands, not done either of the America's actually never fancied North America much and selling my company to an organisation from there confirmed to me not to bother it wasn't for me, to brash albeit I had umpteen opportunities to visit and all paid for in luxury but it still didn't temp, Sourh America is on the list though.

Must say though I have just¬†checked Google Translate and Welsh is there, so just for the hell of it I could take a trip into the valley's to try it out, thanks for that johnny, though I don't reckon your sarcasm was meant to be helpful, ūüėč

The 3 parts of North America are VERY different countries.

But I wouldn't want to visit the one in the middle either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

The 3 parts of North America are VERY different countries.

But I wouldn't want to visit the one in the middle either.

Apart from Vegas ūüėÄ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Apart from Vegas ūüėÄ

Not even Lost Wages

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TIWIT said:

The 3 parts of North America are VERY different countries.

But I wouldn't want to visit the one in the middle either.

Why not, it’s a fabulous country to visit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Why not, it’s a fabulous country to visit. 

It can be, just be careful of the locals! The right to bear firearms freaks me out, especially when you go into a grocery store in Montana and see people wearing gun holsters, complete with Saturday Night Special!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Why not, it’s a fabulous country to visit. 

Uh, maybe you ought to rethink that idea.

Canada now... it's like the United States done right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TIWIT said:

The 3 parts of North America are VERY different countries.

But I wouldn't want to visit the one in the middle either.

Went to the USA last February. Loved every bit of it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I don’t know.  I work in construction.  I can use a plane.

So you are a carpenter then?

I presume the plane is for smoothing out wood.

Easy to be sarcastic isn't it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Uh, maybe you ought to rethink that idea.

Canada now... it's like the United States done right.

Weirdly I don’t have to rethink it, I’ve been to both countries a number of times and love them both. Have always felt like the welcome in America is warmer mind you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...