Passage to SL?

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Not to the fans , and the whole point of RL is playing in front of paying supporters 

So we have spent 125 years paying prize money when we didn't have to.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Padge said:

So we have spent 125 years paying prize money when we didn't have to.

Essentially yes , RL was born from the requirement to pay players to entertain paying spectators , without that requirement we'd all have continued playing RU 

22 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Exactly my point. The best attendance that Leigh could muster in all these years is still nowhere near London's best figures no matter how Leigh supporters try to spin it. 

Now I hear they don't even have an academy either......it's not looking good for Derek 

That's not spinning it 6888 leigh fans against 1000 london fans, I could go back to 22000 against  saints in  the old first division if you like but I am on about  present day.

6 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Yeah you have a point but some of those places don't have RL teams so maybe they could attract them in the absence of having their own team to support

Leigh have St Helen's, Warrington and Wigan just down the road. All 3 are top SL clubs who win regularly win trophies and are generally known to the non-RL public. With these big clubs already right on their doorsteps I really cannot see curious potential fans from non-RL towns opting to go and support a small club like Leigh. Having worked for many years in such a town, people will know of the top RL teams, beyond that there is almost zero interest.

Another indication that Toulouse may be included in 2021 (and Toronto booted out)?

Elstone: “Strategic expansion into areas where there’s an affinity to the game, where it’s played, where it’s connected geographically, makes sense.

“This felt to be a different expansion strategy, which isn’t to say it was never going to work and there’s absolutely no, ‘I told you so,’ in any of this.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12273212/super-league-boss-robert-elstone-can-see-why-toronto-wolfpack-pulled-out/amp/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebarweb

5 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Leigh have St Helen's, Warrington and Wigan just down the road. All 3 are top SL clubs who win regularly win trophies and are generally known to the non-RL public. With these big clubs already right on their doorsteps I really cannot see curious potential fans from non-RL towns opting to go and support a small club like Leigh. Having worked for many years in such a town, people will know of the top RL teams, beyond that there is almost zero interest.

So your conclusion is ?

35 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Obviously not 

That's why I'm asking 😉

Interested non-RL neutrals will overwhelmingly support big and successful RL clubs, just like in any other sport.

We have 11 skint clubs in SL and a TV deal coming up fast. The 12th club will be the one that benefits those 11 clubs the most via maximising contract money for them, which despite it going pear-shaped is how Toronto got approved for 2020.

Small town clubs are not interesting enough to Sky so my money would be on Tolouse or London in 2021 as they are the best sell for the Sky negotiations. The SL will be listening right now to what Sky want, as would any business.

10 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

We have 11 skint clubs in SL and a TV deal coming up fast. The 12th club will be the one that benefits those 11 clubs the most via maximising contract money for them, which despite it going pear-shaped is how Toronto got approved for 2020.

Small town clubs are not interesting enough to Sky so my money would be on Tolouse or London in 2021 as they are the best sell for the Sky negotiations. The SL will be listening right now to what Sky want, as would any business.

It is a crying shame about Toronto, so much potential to approach broadcasters with, 2 x`s French clubs ,2x`s Canadian clubs, London .

11 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

But what would Toulouse bring to SL, no away support so financial benefit to SL clubs, extra travel expense to SL clubs, so what would they bring that Leigh, fev, or widnes couldn't apart from another weekend away trip.

13 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

How many Sky subscribers are in Toulouse? 

5 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Sky want subs, ads and viewers - don't give a hoot where they live and there wasn't a rush of French/Global companies wanting to take SL spots in the UK after Cats came in, same with London eg Fred Done is a proper Lanky lad. Northern England has a population of 15m if we can get 1% watching live RL every week and 3% on Sky that would be fantastic - and who would give a hoot , well plenty is my guess as success breeds success, you then expand from strength as others want a piece.

When we are planning expansion we must first ensure the foundations are solid and not ignored/taken for granted - thats why I have always said two tens, going to two twelves is THE way to support those clubs in the heartlands with a decent fan base and ensure we are the catalyst for the re-emergence of RL in France via TO and Avignon, with Serbia next.

2 hours ago, PEANUT HEAD said:

But what would Toulouse bring to SL, no away support so financial benefit to SL clubs, extra travel expense to SL clubs, so what would they bring that Leigh, fev, or widnes couldn't apart from another weekend away trip.

What does Catalan bring? Just kick them & Toronto out now and let Leigh/Fev/Widnes in.

The number of people that would pay for a SKY Sports subscription purely because a team from (used only as an example) Halifax rather than Toulouse is playing in SL would be double figures. If that. It's such an insignificant number that it's really just a nonsense argument. 

From memory RLs viewing figures are pretty static - worse than football, better than other sports. What we don't seem to be able to do, outside of set-piece events, is generate much enthusiasm outside of those who are already regular viewers.

What broadcasters, sponsors, investors, players and even fans want is a vibrant competition that looks and feels interesting to viewers. That should always be the aim.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Another indication that Toulouse may be included in 2021 (and Toronto booted out)?

Elstone: “Strategic expansion into areas where there’s an affinity to the game, where it’s played, where it’s connected geographically, makes sense.

“This felt to be a different expansion strategy, which isn’t to say it was never going to work and there’s absolutely no, ‘I told you so,’ in any of this.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12273212/super-league-boss-robert-elstone-can-see-why-toronto-wolfpack-pulled-out/amp/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebarweb

We can read into this a few ways.  I doubt SL will allow TWP back at all.  

I don’t believe Elstones comments relate to TO either.  Usual broad brush statements from Elstone, which in this instance we can expect with no TWP decision yet officially made by the clubs.  Elstones just a whipping boy.  He has no clout, no power, nothing.

IMO it would be TO.  They seem financially sound and have the potential of capturing the Interest in Toulouse.  It would have to be by licensing or similar arrangement as they would struggle at first as we’ve just seen Toronto.

I think I’d rather wait for Newcastle than appoint either London or Leigh.  

20 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

We can read into this a few ways.  I doubt SL will allow TWP back at all.  

I don’t believe Elstones comments relate to TO either.  Usual broad brush statements from Elstone, which in this instance we can expect with no TWP decision yet officially made by the clubs.  Elstones just a whipping boy.  He has no clout, no power, nothing.

IMO it would be TO.  They seem financially sound and have the potential of capturing the Interest in Toulouse.  It would have to be by licensing or similar arrangement as they would struggle at first as we’ve just seen Toronto.

I think I’d rather wait for Newcastle than appoint either London or Leigh.  

Hard to read it as anything other than Toronto look doomed.

As I’ve said before, this is an open goal for Super League to admit Toulouse. If they want them - and Elstone does in my view - they are in. Perhaps with a three year dispensation like Catalans, to oil the commercial wheels from TV, sponsors, local government etc etc.

9 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Small town clubs are not interesting enough to Sky so my money would be on Tolouse or London in 2021

Big city teams, have you seen London games televised, the stadium is not a very good sell for a team in our Elite Division by any stretch of the imagination, so why is London a good prospect for Sky and do Sky actually sell to France?

Archived