People who are alive but you thought they had died

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

I very much doubt that it will ever happen, TV/entertainment is too splintered now to have the same effect. 

When we had just 4 channels, programmes like this rose to the top, now, with Netflix, Disney+, Discovery+, the only way a programme will get those viewing figures would be by advertising on the BBC, like the Beatles doc on Disney. 

1 minute ago, CornwallRL said:

When we had just 4 channels, programmes like this rose to the top, now, with Netflix, Disney+, Discovery+, the only way a programme will get those viewing figures would be by advertising on the BBC, like the Beatles doc on Disney. 

Yep. Programmes can be popular today but still not hit most people. I mean I think Squid Games was apparently the most watched thing on Netflix so far but it doesn't translate into mainstream awareness like Triggers Broom or even the name Del Boy. 

The same applies to modern music too.

17 hours ago, CornwallRL said:

When we had just 4 channels, programmes like this rose to the top, ...

I can rember when we just had 2 channels and ITV didn't show anything before about 4pm every day ... Crossroads

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 25/11/2021 at 18:27, Futtocks said:

Or, alternatively, someone who couldn't abide by some very simple and reasonable terms and conditions.

The trouble with the Claque is that they think their opinion is more important than anyone else's. Then they snivel to the Moderators when it's challenged.

Anyone who wanted Brexit was regarded as an imbecile and completely out of step with the zeitgeist (😉). Then the working class twice proved them wrong at the ballot box. The second time, the working class were even prepared to vote Tory in protest about the way the Labour Party was ignoring its core voting stock.

I presume Claquers are still  whingeing about all this on the Politics Thread. If only the Public had listened to them.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

19 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Yep. Programmes can be popular today but still not hit most people. I mean I think Squid Games was apparently the most watched thing on Netflix so far but it doesn't translate into mainstream awareness like Triggers Broom or even the name Del Boy. 

The same applies to modern music too.

I've not seen Squid Games but I know what it looks like. I suspect a sizeable chunk of the country do too.

Not popular in the same way as nearly half the country watching Morecambe and Wise but it does show that some things do have the cut-through.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I've not seen Squid Games but I know what it looks like. I suspect a sizeable chunk of the country do too.

Not popular in the same way as nearly half the country watching Morecambe and Wise but it does show that some things do have the cut-through.

But only in the sense that you've heard of it. I watched it and quite enjoyed it but I bet if I said to someone in the queue at the supermarket 'what about that Squid Games then?' there's a big chance they haven't seen it or maybe like you, just heard about it. 

I'm not a giving a  critique of TV standards btw, it's just the way of the world now, everything is splintered and there's no need to watch something on Thursday at 9 0'Clock, hence that 'community' vibe is diminished. 

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

But only in the sense that you've heard of it. I watched it and quite enjoyed it but I bet if I said to someone in the queue at the supermarket 'what about that Squid Games then?' there's a big chance they haven't seen it or maybe like you, just heard about it. 

I'm not a giving a  critique of TV standards btw, it's just the way of the world now, everything is splintered and there's no need to watch something on Thursday at 9 0'Clock, hence that 'community' vibe is diminished. 

Agree with all that.

Also, the nature of community TV experience is now more akin to a film in the cinema where everyone would watch it at different times and then talk about it later - rather than all settling down to watch at the same time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

The trouble with the Claque is that they think their opinion is more important than anyone else's. Then they snivel to the Moderators when it's challenged.

Anyone who wanted Brexit was regarded as an imbecile and completely out of step with the zeitgeist (😉). Then the working class twice proved them wrong at the ballot box. The second time, the working class were even prepared to vote Tory in protest about the way the Labour Party was ignoring its core voting stock.

I presume Claquers are still  whingeing about all this on the Politics Thread. If only the Public had listened to them.

Or TRL Brexiters became furious when anyone questioned their bizarre claims, so they started using abusive language and got banned.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 27/11/2021 at 10:45, Futtocks said:

Or TRL Brexiters became furious when anyone questioned their bizarre claims, so they started using abusive language and got banned.

Bleep wasn't pro Brexit, he was ostensibly pretty left wing. 

Just now, Johnoco said:

Bleep wasn't pro Brexit, he was ostensibly pretty left wing. 

That was a more general explanation about how some TRL members got banned, not necessarily Bleep in particular.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That was a more general explanation about how some TRL members got banned, not necessarily Bleep in particular.

Ok but who else has been banned? Random 5 post merchants aside.

The mods might tell you (but probably won't). Did Saintslass flounce or was she pushed? There was someone simultaneously incredibly rude and astonishingly thin-skinned.

I suspect she's now Secretary of State for Culture.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 hours ago, Shadow said:

Some had their posting rights curtailed on the politics board, without being totally banned. I think Saintslass was one of those

Oxford may have been another

Bleep apparently requested being blocked on the political thread.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, thebrewxi said:

Just heard former Arsenal goalkeeper and Grandstand stalwart Bob Wilson on R4. I'm sure I heard his obituary a few years ago. He sounds very alive and well!

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 22/12/2021 at 10:27, thebrewxi said:

Just heard former Arsenal goalkeeper and Grandstand stalwart Bob Wilson on R4. I'm sure I heard his obituary a few years ago. He sounds very alive and well!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Wilson_(footballer,_born_1941)

Yes, alive. Apparently, he was young for a period after his birth.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014