People who are alive but you thought they had died

Boris Spassky, of the Cold War chess-off with ultra weirdo Bobby Fischer, appears to still be going in his 80s whereas his match feels like the most ancient of ancient history.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Roger "whistlin" Whittaker is 87 today. Thought he was well older

and no longer with us obvs

Edited by GURNER
  • Like 1

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Mohamed Al-Fayed, aged 94.

Still claiming the bogus "Al" honorific too, I don't doubt.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Stanley Baxter, old school Scottish comedian who was happy to do drag for laughs on mainstream telly in the 1970s was 97 recently. I was sure he had died.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Stanley Baxter, old school Scottish comedian who was happy to do drag for laughs on mainstream telly in the 1970s was 97 recently. I was sure he had died.

Very durable, is Stanley.

Mike Yarwood is also still alive.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Very durable, is Stanley.

Mike Yarwood is also still alive.

And living at the retired entertainers home, I believe.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

And living at the retired entertainers home, I believe.

Author of one of absolute downers of showbiz autobiographies. According to his reminiscences, nothing particularly interesting ever happened to him, he can't remember any amusing anecdotes about his fellow entertainers of the era and he doesn't think that stardom made him a particularly nice person.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

The wonderful Eva Marie Saint, of North by Northwest fame, turned 99 today!

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

The comedian Freddie "Parrot-Face" Davies.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Brian Murphy long suffering tv husband

Not to mention he played the head torturer in Ken Russell's insane (even by his standards) movie The Devils.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ITV newsreader Sandy Gall, 96 today.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spotted on BlueSky. :kolobok_biggrin:

Lev Parikian @levparikian.bsky.social
Happy birthday Steve Reich
appy birthday Steve Reich H
ppy birthday Steve Reich Ha
py birthday Steve Reich Hap
y birthday Steve Reich Happ
birthday Steve Reich Happy
birthday Steve Reich Happy
irthday Steve Reich Happy b
rthday Steve Reich Happy bi
thday Steve Reich Happy bir

87 years old today

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2023 at 07:33, gingerjon said:

Boris Spassky, of the Cold War chess-off with ultra weirdo Bobby Fischer, appears to still be going in his 80s whereas his match feels like the most ancient of ancient history.

The peak of chess I think .....cold war narrative behind it ....troubled genius loner vs Soviet machine (though in reality it wasn't that at all) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2023 at 16:22, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Blimey he seemed ancient in the 80s

He's a former miner who smoked and survived a pulmonary embolism at 86.

Daily Telegraph article:

... at Pontins a few decades earlier for an exhibition. “He slowly rolled the white ball towards one pocket and potted all six colours into the same one before it reached,” she says. “We still talk about it today. It was incredible.”

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police